Anything and everything about gardening in 2024

Spring in a four season garden must be so exciting. In a two season garden (wet and dry) there is just a gradual transition of dominant plants. Of course when the rains (by far the shorter season) come the garden does perk up but the change isn’t as dramatic as in yours.

I love what you do in your bulb field!
Thank you...it really lifts my spirits when things start to grow.

I retook the washed out picture, and I think this one looks better.

These are the two tone daffodils that are around the stump...

My Bulb Field is filling in fast! That "ring" of small plants are all native lilies! In the center of the ring there is a patch of peonies starting to poke there little noses out.....

The redbud trees grow naturally here, and the woods are filled with color! I showed you some, a few posts ago. Here are more...

(Dio took this one from the house)

Grape hyacinths can be very invasive. However, I love seeing them as they spread.

The Girls wanted to say "hi!" to everyone!

My Bulb Field is filling in fast! That "ring" of small plants are all native lilies! In the center of the ring there is a patch of peonies starting to poke there little noses out.....

The redbud trees grow naturally here, and the woods are filled with color! I showed you some, a few posts ago. Here are more...

(Dio took this one from the house)

Grape hyacinths can be very invasive. However, I love seeing them as they spread.

The Girls wanted to say "hi!" to everyone!
In picture #3 I love the redbud with the yellow flowering shrub whose name I think I used to know.

It is called a forsythia bush.
I have been dividing and spreading them, for many years. If you look closely at the other pictures, you'll see that I have them everywhere!

I actually tried growing it but I don’t think it much liked it here. The redbud is plentiful around where I am. Today I’m at Stanford for Lia’s treatment and there is a nice looking one here in their landscaping.

53588755437_173a749f52_b.jpg

We had some really bad storms come through here last Thursday night. On Friday, we went walking on our trails, looking for branches, damage, etc. Surprisingly, there was very little to pick up. We were kind of startled when we made a turn in the trail and saw the tree that was blocking our path! The trail was impassable and would eventually need to be dealt with.

Sunday was the day to get rid of the fallen tree. Boy, was it a whopper!!! And everything that could go wrong, did! Dio is bruised and bloody, and might have a broken toe. (it hurts enough, and looks bad enough to be broken, but he's not really sure.)

This is the tree as you first walk up to it. It had a double trunk.

The trunk to the right (North) is still propped up, in a tree in the cow field (further to the right)....at least for now. It's not in anyone's way and can just stay there until it decides to fall.

The trunk to the right (South) fell across the trail, making it impassable.

When the tree fell, it took out a bunch of other trees. There were at least 2 cherry trees and a cedar that were destroyed. All of the other trees had to be cleared away before we could even start working on the one that fell.

We have cut many trees in our life. Never has one fought us as much as this one did!!! Eventually, it did get cut.

The logs were rolled and wrassled off to the side, and the trail is usable again!

We can continue going for walks!
emoticon

emoticon
Yesterday evening, I trimmmed another 4 (5?) forsythia bushes....so there are only about 15 left to do. (still!!!)
emoticon

The hedge that I'm trimming has 6 different decorative bushes, all mixed together. The burning bushes are the only ones that get cut while dormant, so I did those over the winter. Everything else will get cut after they bloom. This year, the forsythia bushes bloomed early, and they are done for the year. That is why I'm cutting them now. Plus, they are probably going to be the most work to do, and will need to most time.

The lilacs are almost done blooming, too...so they will be next. After that, I'm not sure but I think the spiria will be the next to bloom. I'm going to have to wait and see, when the time comes.

We had some really bad storms come through here last Thursday night. On Friday, we went walking on our trails, looking for branches, damage, etc. Surprisingly, there was very little to pick up. We were kind of startled when we made a turn in the trail and saw the tree that was blocking our path! The trail was impassable and would eventually need to be dealt with.

Sunday was the day to get rid of the fallen tree. Boy, was it a whopper!!! And everything that could go wrong, did! Dio is bruised and bloody, and might have a broken toe. (it hurts enough, and looks bad enough to be broken, but he's not really sure.)

This is the tree as you first walk up to it. It had a double trunk.

The trunk to the right (North) is still propped up, in a tree in the cow field (further to the right)....at least for now. It's not in anyone's way and can just stay there until it decides to fall.

The trunk to the right (South) fell across the trail, making it impassable.

When the tree fell, it took out a bunch of other trees. There were at least 2 cherry trees and a cedar that were destroyed. All of the other trees had to be cleared away before we could even start working on the one that fell.

We have cut many trees in our life. Never has one fought us as much as this one did!!! Eventually, it did get cut.

The logs were rolled and wrassled off to the side, and the trail is usable again!

We can continue going for walks!
emoticon

Impressive! I find heavy work increasingly difficult but if it was on the ground I’d feel obliged to try. Of course my little battery op chainsaw would not handle a trunk that big. Well done!

emoticon
Yesterday evening, I trimmmed another 4 (5?) forsythia bushes....so there are only about 15 left to do. (still!!!)
emoticon

The hedge that I'm trimming has 6 different decorative bushes, all mixed together. The burning bushes are the only ones that get cut while dormant, so I did those over the winter. Everything else will get cut after they bloom. This year, the forsythia bushes bloomed early, and they are done for the year. That is why I'm cutting them now. Plus, they are probably going to be the most work to do, and will need to most time.

The lilacs are almost done blooming, too...so they will be next. After that, I'm not sure but I think the spiria will be the next to bloom. I'm going to have to wait and see, when the time comes.

I have one spiria but have never trimmed it. Any tips?

There is a geat app on smart phone playstore called leafsnap plant identificaton,you just take a photo of a plant you want to know what it is, then go to leafsnap app and it will tell you all about the plant or tree.

I have two oak leaf hydrangeas, they are about 4 years old and can't seem to get taller that about 15" to 20", the intense heat knocks them back every summer.

Back