Apartment Living

You’re welcome Hollydolly.
I don’t think they look any different. There are lower rental apartments as well as higher rental apartments but there are lower priced condominiums as well as higher priced ones so unless it is stated, “ Sunset Apartments for rent” , the only sure way is to inquire directly.

Condo's are nice, but still, some bucks have to be shelled out for possible Closing Costs, down payment and monthly mortage.........plus, the maintenance cost of them.

As Keesha explained, Condos may be an apartment or a townhouse. You purchase them the same way you would purchase a conventional house. The difference between a condo and a regular house is that when you buy a condo, you only “own” the interior. The condo corporation owns the exterior and the land it sits on. This means that the corporation is responsible for the roof and exterior structure. You are responsible for everything inside the condo. In my case, the condo corporation also owned the doors and windows and therefore were responsible for repairs and replacement. Condo owners pay a monthly fee that goes into the pool for upkeep and repairs. This is where condo ownership can get pricey--some fees are quite high, especially if you’re living in a large urban area like Toronto (in Canada.)

As Keesha explained, Condos may be an apartment or a townhouse. You purchase them the same way you would purchase a conventional house. The difference between a condo and a regular house is that when you buy a condo, you only “own” the interior. The condo corporation owns the exterior and the land it sits on. This means that the corporation is responsible for the roof and exterior structure. You are responsible for everything inside the condo. In my case, the condo corporation also owned the doors and windows and therefore were responsible for repairs and replacement. Condo owners pay a monthly fee that goes into the pool for upkeep and repairs. This is where condo ownership can get pricey--some fees are quite high, especially if you’re living in a large urban area like Toronto (in Canada.)

I was going to get into the townhouse scenario but forgot. It can get very pricey but if you have the bucks, it’s a great life for retired people. For those who don’t want an apartment type setting, maybe want some grass at ground level but don’t wish to care for it, then it can be ideal. It can run exceptionally high and I don’t live that far from Toronto so am used to the more luxurious types. When I lived in Toronto I had a very nice apartment which I actually liked a lot. It had a great heated swimming pool and gym.

Could someone please tell me what the difference is between a Condo and an apartment ...we have no such distinction in the UK....

Welcome to the forum Karen, it sound like you made the best decision

An apartment is a type of building. A condo is a type of ownership. There are condo homes, apartments, townhouses or houses. There are condo office buildings, marinas and other types of properties.

Sold my family house after 40 years of a large home and big yard last year. Husband died, kids all grown and gone, and finally even lost my big beautiful lab. It was time.
I'm in a cozy apartment now, in a senior complex, and love every minute of it. All the stress of home ownership is gone.

Hi! It's been 13 months since I posted my original posting. I must say that we really love our apartment. It is very quiet. You do not hear the neighbours but you sometimes hear the maintenance guy outside with his darn leaf blower. We are right now traveling in the UK for 64 days & do not worry what is happening in our apartment back home. I would never want to have a home again. Our apartment is now our home. We have no worries & can move anytime, if we want, & not have to put up with those darn real estate folks. When your young & have a family, a home makes sense. For seniors, it does not make any sense at all; if you ask me.

Hi! It's been 13 months since I posted my original posting. I must say that we really love our apartment...... & do not worry what is happening in our apartment back home. I would never want to have a home again. Our apartment is now our home. We have no worries & can move anytime, if we want, & not have to put up with those darn real estate folks. When your young & have a family, a home makes sense. For seniors, it does not make any sense at all; if you ask me.

Wife and I are with you. We're planning for an apartment in the next several years.

Hi! It's been 13 months since I posted my original posting. I must say that we really love our apartment. It is very quiet. You do not hear the neighbours but you sometimes hear the maintenance guy outside with his darn leaf blower. We are right now traveling in the UK for 64 days & do not worry what is happening in our apartment back home. I would never want to have a home again. Our apartment is now our home. We have no worries & can move anytime, if we want, & not have to put up with those darn real estate folks. When your young & have a family, a home makes sense. For seniors, it does not make any sense at all; if you ask me.

I have a house, which I love, but will likely move into an apartment at some point. Hopefully not for at least seven years or longer. But who knows? A house is great but it's a lot of financial responsibility and upkeep. You make some good points, Packerjohn.

I have a house, which I love, but will likely move into an apartment at some point. Hopefully not for at least seven years or longer. But who knows? A house is great but it's a lot of financial responsibility and upkeep. You make some good points, Packerjohn.

I'm with you. I like my paid-off house and I especially like having an attached garage.

I've checked rentals in my area and it's much cheaper for me to continue stay in my house.

But as I grow older... several more years down the road... moving to an apartment might be the better choice.

I'm not looking forward to it. In the meantime, the value of my house is increasing.

I have never owned a home but lived in a house with my father during my life; I enjoy apt. living but I always need to adjust to new neighbors. At this point I have all considerate ones which is quite a blessing compared to what I've gone through in the past. It's nice that I don't have to mow lawn or shovel snow. It's all done by someone else. The walls here are quite thin, though, and you can hear a lot of what the neighbors are doing if they are the least bit noisy; thankfully the other neighbors are aware of this and don't get real loud.

At my senior apartments, there is a weekly crew that comes in and mows the grounds, cuts scrubs and maintains the trees around the area. A swimming pool crew maintains the pool and fountain wall around the pool. It's a beautiful setting.
People sit around there daily and visit.

My neighbors around my 3rd floor apartment are very quiet .. once in a while I hear people talking in the hallway or doors shutting, but that's about it. I'm very glad that my dog isn't a hyper, barking type, so that no-one has any issues with him.

There is a huge community center in the main building where people can gather day and night. They have a large screen TV there, a wall of movies to borrow, game room, kitchen area, and several couches, rocking chairs, and a grand piano that someone is always playing.
Down the hallway is a fitness center, beauty shop, library & computer center, and a medical station .. a little of everything.
It's a wonderful living situation.

Last edited:
Condo's are nice, but still, some bucks have to be shelled out for possible Closing Costs, down payment and monthly mortage.........plus, the maintenance cost of them.

We paid cash for our last 2 condos, there is a monthly maintenance fee that covers exterior painting, roofing, landscaping, water, sewage and water. Some include cable TV and internet. With a rental apartment the maintenance is included in the rent along with profit for the landlord. We have not made a mortgage payment since 1997.

I live in a rowhome in Philadelphia and can't wait to sell and move out. After 22 years of putting up with ignorant people on both sides of me (not to mention the fireworks for days before and after a holiday, and even on random days when there isn't a holiday), I'm ready to leave. I want peace and quiet and hopefully I will find it in a 55up community somewhere in Ocean County, NJ.

Hi Linda Doc. So sorry to hear about fireworks. That reminds me about those stupid fire crackers they used to let off when I visited Islamic countries years ago. Very annoying. Noise stresses you & that could very well shorten your life. We live in a very quiet apartment; that is quiet inside. Outside it is very noisy. We have planes flying over head, leaf blowers in the winter & the summer, a tractor scrabbing snow in the winter & a very noisy lawn mover in the summer. The trouble is we face south where all this noise is. Glad to report that we are moving away to a small community about 15 minutes away from here on January 23. I am noise sensitive & the world is getting more noisey every year.

Hi Linda Doc. So sorry to hear about fireworks. That reminds me about those stupid fire crackers they used to let off when I visited Islamic countries years ago. Very annoying. Noise stresses you & that could very well shorten your life. We live in a very quiet apartment; that is quiet inside. Outside it is very noisy. We have planes flying over head, leaf blowers in the winter & the summer, a tractor scrabbing snow in the winter & a very noisy lawn mover in the summer. The trouble is we face south where all this noise is. Glad to report that we are moving away to a small community about 15 minutes away from here on January 23. I am noise sensitive & the world is getting more noisey every year.
Hi Packerjohn, I'm really noise sensitive, too ... have been since I was very young. I didn't mean to sound crabby in my post but I actually dread coming home some days. The neighbors right next door have a 16-year-old son that blasts music nearly every night, plus he plays the electric guitar. I've talked to the father several times and he says he's asked the boy to tone it down, but to no avail. I don't have a leg to stand on legally since the noise ordinances here don't kick in until after 10 pm, and by that time he does shut the music down. I've learned to put my own "white noise" on to drown out his, but it's only a band-aid to the problem. I also do monthly freelance writing and it really irks me when I'm trying to think. I keep telling myself I only have a few more years to endure this ... hopefully the kid moves out before then!

Hey, Linda Doc: you better move out before you go nuts in that place. No one should put up with all that abuse you are talking about. There are nice quite place to live.

I will avoid apartments for the rest of my life, most likely. I need the many tasks and chores home ownership provides. I get antsy even thinking about living in an apartment, and flushing my money down the toilet, monthly. The thought of dealing with common wall, floor and ceiling neighbors also makes my palms sweat.

Hubby and I owned 2 homes - sold one and one went into to foreclosure. When we separated we both rented apartments. I did not like being in an apartment after living in a house but I learned to appreciate it. I end up moving into a house which I rented.. Fast forward, hubby and I got back together, lived in the rented house for 2 years and we end up getting approved for a home.

After moving several times in a short period of time, I consider my house, my home. As someone posted being in an apartment you have to consider your neighbors. God forbid if anything happen to my hubby, I would not want to move again. I am sure you guys will be just fine. It's all in what you want.

I have owned several houses in my prior life. At this point in my life I needed to live in an apartment near stores and medical offices. I felt like I had no choice. I could not afford much, not even a car. Had to move from a house in the forest to a very small apartment in the downtown area of a small city. I figured it would be something I would have to adjust to. But I loved it my first night here and still do, three years later.

Back