Are OTC drugs sold on TV ever tested by an authoritative analysis?

I've seen numerous TV ads about filing claims against some preparations sold on TV ads that have caused personal damage to the users. Hair coloring and male performance enhancements mainly. I just wonder how these compounds can be legally marketed if they haven't been tested for toxicity, carcinogenicity and other risk factors. The commercials for these products usually have an actor in a lab coat and sporting a stethoscope promoting them who never personally claim to be a doctor, but let you draw conclusions from the visual prompts.

We take it for granted that these things ARE tested and passed as safe. However, there are so many allergies around these days that I suppose not everything can be regarded as suitable for everyone. At least the ingredients are listed on most items, so it's up to us to know what we personally are likely to react to.

Dear Lord, if they actually fully tested them, they'd probably never make it to market. And that would shut down another whole industry.... That being the.... "If you or a loved one took this and suffered or died, call. xxx-xxx-xxxx". You may deserve compensation. :(

I think that many companies selling unregulated dietary supplements, beauty products, etc... take a calculated risk and make a business decision to sell as much of a product as they can before the complaints start rolling in. They may make some refunds, settle some claims, pay a fine for false advertising, etc... If the cost becomes too great they can file for bankruptcy and pop up under a new name with a new gimmick.

6a00e5521cccd0883401676611800c970b-pi

There have to be enough suckers who buy this crap to pay for the ads. One of my favorites is that ex football guy & his wife - Rodney Pete who talk about their weight loss from "Lipozene." (Eat the same foods & lose 4 times the weight). Then an MD (well paid, of course) talks about how well it works & how Mr. Pete's lab tests improved.

And.....Golly Gee.....if a celebrity like Marie Osmond says Nutrisystem works...........it must!

One of the newest I've noticed is ad for HGH....Which as far as i know is [human growth hormone] and the young lady says it will make you look ..... not years but decades younger !! I seriously hope no one is falling for that one.

The dishonesty among people is sad.....

One of the newest I've noticed is ad for HGH....Which as far as i know is [human growth hormone] and the young lady says it will make you look ..... not years but decades younger !! I seriously hope no one is falling for that one.

The dishonesty among people is sad.....
Your comment reminded me of the "Twilight Zone" episode "A Short Drink from a Certain Fountain".

Back