Are you a Bum/beggar magnet?

I've been approached a few times by beggars lately. One was a scrawny dirty looking old man who rambled a lot and I was in a hurry and kept trying to get him to the point. Finally he said he needed money for a room. I only had a few dollars, I hope he got some money from other people. No point expecting a person like that to be able to hold a job when he can't even hold the thread of what he is asking for.

Another was a young woman with a baby and a printed sign asking for money for food for her and the baby. I was more suspicious of that because I'd read that is a thing in Europe and that the money really goes to men and not to the women/babies. I gave a little the first time but not the second time I saw her. On the other hand, if you have a baby you can't easily get a job because child care costs more than you would make (if unskilled labor).

What I hate are the panhandlers at traffic intersections. I feel like that ought to be illegal because it is a traffic hazard.

In another thread there was a question about who got 400/mth social security. In my neck of the woods it is easy to see how you might have to beg to get by…
That the odd thing. I know a few who live near me and their disabilities prevent them from ease of movement, to standing in inclement weather.

So I'd agree that's a reason to beg, few seem to

I get a lot of solicitations in the mail "begging" for $$$ for this and that, but not in person so far. Pickings would be slim in a small working class town anyway.

I get a lot of solicitations in the mail "begging" for $$$ for this and that, but not in person so far. Pickings would be slim in a small working class town anyway.
I live in a small working-class town. No beggars here. Everyone knows each other, and their story, and their family....

I did see some drug addicts gathered outside the supermarket, which has an in-store pharmacy. Apparently there are people who will sell their prescriptions to the addicts. How the latter get the money is another story.

Beggars seldom approach me. I don't dress well, and I think I look unapproachable. One exception was when I was facing particularly hard times, and I wore my one decent dress to go job hunting. (This was in a city.) Beggars did approach me then. I might have looked comfortably off that day, but I sure wasn't.

I'm not a very good person in this sense. Several days ago I saw someone had a table set up outside of Walmart. The guy approached me asking if I'd...I didn't understand clearly what he was saying and just wanted him to let me alone, so I said I'm really not interested thank you. When I got to my car I thought about what I said. Yeah I realize it was pretty terrible. No way was I going back there though.

Back