Are you a hockey fan?

SeniorBen

I'm a big football and baseball fan, but I just don't get the appeal of hockey. It's like they just fight over the puck and then shoot it when they get in front of the net and hope that someone blocks the goalie's view so it goes in. There doesn't seem to be much strategy or tension like you get in football and baseball.

I have to go watch the pre-game show now. Yawwwwwwnnnnn.

You are going to hate me for posting this but if I didn't it wouldn't be my idea of free speech. I don't like any of the big sports such as football and hockey. Take a team like the Vancouver Canucks. They import players from the US and pay these guys millions of dollars. I Googled the "Winnipeg Blue Bombers" and found out that one player is getting $40 million dollars in a 5 year contract. WOW! The trouble is when you are talking about Vancouver, Calgary, Winnipeg or Toronto, for example, there are almost no players from those cities. They are all big American players picked up from spring training camps.

Furthermore, these teams are often owned by millionaires or billionaires. It must be an "ego trip" with the filty rich. I know many men that sit in front of the TV and watch all the "big games" every night. I wonder why they are always "the BIG game" and never the ordinary or small game?

In these days of increasing grocery prices, higher gasoline and interest rates, why are these sports heroes being paid crazy prices for them to play some game. Sort of reminds me of the Romans watching the Christians being eaten by the lions for entertainment.

I agree totally about the gazillions of dollars being paid the athletes and owners! Horrifying! I don’t hate you at all . You speak the truth.

But I’ve always had a taste for hockey. My son played in a club in high school, my adult grandsons do too now, just hot, friendly exercise. The things hockey players do while balanced. on a thin piece of sharp metal…wow.
In old age developed an enjoyment of baseball. When I was young I thought it was slow & boring. In old age, just right,haha.
Also have developed a distaste for so much tv programming being full of sex, violence, ( well hockey has the violence, haha) idiocy & conflicting conspiracy theories, and bad news. Lots of mi,lionaires behind all that too. A ball or hockey game takes me away from that for a while.
In case any hockey fans are reading this, I have a theory why the Avalanche seem to be on the way to clobber the Lightning.. I think they have an advantage of being conditioned to the altitude, Denver being the “Mile High city”.Can take a few days to adapt, to be comfortable with normal actions let alone extreme physical demands. Might have been more fair to start in Tampa, sea level.

I agree totally about the gazillions of dollars being paid the athletes and owners! Horrifying! I don’t hate you at all . You speak the truth.

But I’ve always had a taste for hockey. My son played in a club in high school, my adult grandsons do too now, just hot, friendly exercise. The things hockey players do while balanced. on a thin piece of sharp metal…wow.
In old age developed an enjoyment of baseball. When I was young I thought it was slow & boring. In old age, just right,haha.
Also have developed a distaste for so much tv programming being full of sex, violence, ( well hockey has the violence, haha) idiocy & conflicting conspiracy theories, and bad news. Lots of mi,lionaires behind all that too. A ball or hockey game takes me away from that for a while.
In case any hockey fans are reading this, I have a theory why the Avalanche seem to be on the way to clobber the Lightning.. I think they have an advantage of being conditioned to the altitude, Denver being the “Mile High city”.Can take a few days to adapt, to be comfortable with normal actions let alone extreme physical demands. Might have been more fair to start in Tampa, sea level.
We shall see if the Lightning can get a spark going on Monday. They seem to have fizzled out this evening. Ben Franklin would have wasted his time during tonight's game. Sometimes, lightning doesn't even strike once.

Any more bad puns? 🤣

The Lightning got a fire going Monday!in line with my feelings about the effect of altitude.. Back down around sea level home ice!
and I can’t help but think the Avs were less efficient breathing the heavy, humid sea air.

Yes I am. Love hockey. The fast pace, the physicality and the skill is fun to watch. I also am a baseball fan and enjoy the conversational pace of the game. After hockey season it takes some time to get into the slower pace of baseball. Actually drove through Cooperstown this past weekend and past the Hall of Fame. Planning on going back to the Hall during the off season. To many people now. As for NFL, I don't watch much any more. I prefer the college game.

After games 1 & 2 I thought the sweep might be in. Lighting struck on Monday and it looks like we might have a series. I'm pulling for the Av's but would like to see it go 7 games.

Get ready for more hockey ....
In 2026, the US will host the FIFA World Cup in 16 cities.

ratio3x2_1200.jpg

My youngest granddaughter is addicted to playing hockey. She is on two different teams right now and can't get enough.

I used to officiate NCAA hockey for the Big Ten Conference. Back then, it was very exciting. The young players were very aggressive, but not to the point where they would slash their stick at another player. It was always exciting. Not today. Everyone watches too much TV and wants to be like their hero player. They tend to forget that what they are watching are professionals. These guys play for keeps. It’s all or nothing.

I had to give up officiating hockey because I was run over by a big guy from Michigan State and I was actually taken off the ice on a gurney. At the hospital, the next day, they did several x-rays and found that my Coccyx (tailbone) was bent and had a hairline fracture. If I would have had another accident and broke the tailbone, it wouldn’t have been a big deal because we don’t need it anyway, but it would have had to be removed and there is a very small nerve that runs alongside the bone that if the surgeon would just nick the nerve, I would probably ended up wearing a colostomy bag the rest of my life, so I decided to hang up my skates.

You have to forget the big salaries and just enjoy the game. I like hockey but where I live and soon everywhere cable is needed to watch all but a few games, and I refuse to get it. Not worth the money to me, at all and I investigated the options. I had all the cable channels once and took me long time to find a good one.
The other drawback is all the constant interruptions in hockey and other sports. Too much. Only a fraction of a game is actual action, the ball in motion. With a timeout every few minutes.. Besides, hockey is a very fast game and I cant see the puck on television. I still like the game and they make skating look so easy, but it takes a lot of talent, strategy, practice.

Hockey is an exhilarating sport to watch. I guess I like lacrosse for the same reason.

Never could get into football or baseball .. too slow for me - and golf :sleep:

Last edited:
Because of my poor eyesight, it takes quite a bit of concentration for me to follow the puck in hockey — especially when I'm tired. I had a cup of coffee after the second period during the break in the last game, which helped a bit.

I still don't get the appeal of hockey, though. Here's one of the plays from the last game:

Avs player A shoots towards the net...
TB goalie doesn't see it and it bounces off his leg...
The puck hits Avs player B in the shin...
The puck ricochets off the TB goalie's skate blade and goes into the net!
GOAL!

The crowd goes wild! What a play! 🤣

Awww SeniorBen it does get kind of ridiculous sometimes, maybe that’s part of the appeal for some. WheatenLover, they are still having the big fights, even at the Stanley cup. Refs having to peel them off each other.

Awww SeniorBen it does get kind of ridiculous sometimes, maybe that’s part of the appeal for some. WheatenLover, they are still having the big fights, even at the Stanley cup. Refs having to peel them off each other.
Maybe I ought to go to hockey games again. Pittsburgh has a team.

I remember being at a Flames game and the teams had a huge fight and afterwards that fighting was banned. The team left for Canada, and I figured it was no great loss since they couldn't fight. Merely winning is not enough for me, except in baseball.

I lived in Pgh for 25 years so is was and still am a Pgh Penguins fan. I also follow the Arizona Coyotes based in Phoenix. A very young, clean team. Don’t win much but try real hard.

Well, This household loves hockey, I agree with most of you and agree they are paid way too much money, way too much... I think there are much more important people in our world who deserve half of what some hockey players are paid. But I don't think anyone is worth what they are paid.

Saying that we are a huge hockey family, we love our Ottawa Sens, we love both Team Canada Men's and Women's hockey. We have a niece who I am sure will be playing for Team Canada eventually...

Our team was not in the playoffs this year, but every night as right now on TV, we are watching...

I played hockey and lacrosse when I was a much younger man.

I love watching football (CFL) and Baseball, but have a hard time watching it on TV, cuz I find it very slow, but love going to Football and Baseball games... But I do like watching golf on Tv, and I enjoy playing golf...

Think I am just rambling on now... Anyhow, Go SENS GO!!

Yes, but haven't watched too many games this season,my favorite team is Vegas Golden Knights,liked them from the start
I was happy that Colorado won last night, they haven't won the Stanley Cup since 2001

The unique thing about the NHL's Stanley Cup is that the names of the winning team, including the trainers, coaches and managers, are engraved on the cup, each year. No other professional sport's championship trophy has that. During the off season, each of the players on the cup winning team has the cup for 3 days, to take it to their home town to have a celebration. As a result this year the Cup will be travelling to Canada, the USA, Sweden, Norway, Germany, and Finland. The Cup weighs about 35 pounds, as it is solid sterling silver. There are actually three Cups. The original Dominion of Canada Challenge Cup, the Permanent Cup, and the travelling Cup, which was awarded last night to the Colorado Avalanche. The Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto is the home of the Cups. Hockey is the fastest team sport with some players reaching speeds of 30 mph while skating full out. Hard shots approach 100 miles an hour in speed. JImB.

Back