Are you a shouter or a hisser?

Rose65

Tensions in a marriage or other close relationships do need an outlet sometimes. I tend to put up with things up to a point then I let him know about it. Yet I very rarely raise my voice, in fact the more angry I am, the quieter. My husband has observed I am like a coiled cobra and he gets out of my way. Normally chatty, I go unnaturally quiet then I hiss. He goes red in the face and very defensive, blustering and useless in argument. I speak very coldly, briefly. However, disagreements blow over quickly, rarely carried on past the day. I do apologise if I am wrong, once I've calmed down. Our basic bond is very strong.

But with others, I unfortunately can and do hold a grudge a long time - I'm not proud of that weakness in me. If very displeased, I withdraw and stop all contact.

Everyone is different, do you need to shout and scream or is yours a hissy fit?

Of course it can also be generally a cultural thing. An obvious example is the way Italians seem so volatile - especially the women who throw things and scream. The English are far more reserved. This is only a generalised observation.

Of course it can also be generally a cultural thing. An obvious example is the way Italians seem so volatile - especially the women who throw things and scream. The English are far more reserved. This is only a generalised observation.
no I don't believe that... not any longer. I think the English can scream and shout just as much as anyone else.. and do...

I'm a Celt.. we don't hiss at anyone.. we make our feelings known to all and sundry... :D

I give in a lot. It’s easier than arguing or debating my point. If she wants to eat Italian and I want to eat at the Dutch restaurant. We eat Italian. If she wants to go visiting the kids and I want to watch the football game, we go visit the kids. The only thing I get last word over is what type of vehicle I am buying. She stays out of that discussion.

no I don't believe that... not any longer. I think the English can scream and shout just as much as anyone else.. and do...

I'm a Celt.. we don't hiss at anyone.. we make our feelings known to all and sundry... :D
Kindred spirit. My Irish kicks in.

I never hold a grudge. I have no idea why, as I think I would be a suitable grudge holder. Things blow over very quickly with me. And for that, I am glad.

Both my mum and dad were both Taurean. I can't speak for my mum's temper because she had various problems with mental health so was mostly a zombie on medication.
However, my dad had an horrendous temper!

I remember once I had a friend round and I'd let the fire go out. It was a Parkray which had a back boiler to heat the water and had a glass frontage.
It was lit with a gas poker that was 'U' shaped which went under the Parkray. He always told us to NEVER light the poker in situ, but light it first before it was put under.

Anyway dad was SO cross he squatted down, shoved the poker under and then flicked his lighter to light it. The ensuing 'explosive' backlash caused him to trump ('break wind' to be polite). He was SO embarrassed (one didn't do that in our house, certainly not in company). It was hilarious :D

oh no... I'm not a door slammer or a plate thrower... that would mean it would cost money to repair or replace these things.. and I'm far too tight to spend out for that...:D
Yes! Breaking things is out of the question, most wasteful and highly Un-English too. We in this house can have a full scale row without any need of raised voices or breakages. A civilised disagreement. The air remains frosty for a while though, until a cup of tea signals a truce, of sorts.

Both my mum and dad were both Taurean. I can't speak for my mum's temper because she had various problems with mental health so was mostly a zombie on medication.
However, my dad had an horrendous temper!

I remember once I had a friend round and I'd let the fire go out. It was a Parkray which had a back boiler to heat the water and had a glass frontage.
It was lit with a gas poker that was 'U' shaped which went under the Parkray. He always told us to NEVER light the poker in situ, but light it first before it was put under.

Anyway dad was SO cross he squatted down, shoved the poker under and then flicked his lighter to light it. The ensuing 'explosive' backlash caused him to trump ('break wind' to be polite). He was SO embarrassed (one didn't do that in our house, certainly not in company). It was hilarious :D
Did you all laugh, out loud?

Back