Are you a shouter or a hisser?

I had a quick temper .
I shouted or went silent or banged doors ( and on one occasion I chucked a radio LOL),
Banging doors was SO therapeutic. :D

Probably more of a grouser. You have to watch that though. Due to their personal history, to others that can feel like an explosion is building when it actually isn't.

Shouter or Hisser are both stupid behaviors though very common in many blue collar adult work environments or social groups.

I've occasionally commented on how many people tend to habitually be too emotional communicating with others even about trivial matters. And yes that also shows on community web boards. Most corporate professionals learn to suppress emotions communicating with others while some never learn. Often that is because their families, friends, and others they have associated with during their lives growing up have been the same way.

Being emotional while communicating with others is a sign of professional immaturity. Numbers of highly educated and skilled young professionals have damaged their careers by showing their youthful emotional behaviors when discussing and debating with others, especially in meetings and collaborations with others. The most common way strongly intelligent and skilled people end up changing jobs is often communication conflicts with others due to poor interpersonal skills. It is such an issue, apparently poorly taught at universities, that many corporate HR departments I worked at employ mandatory company wide interpersonal skills classes.

Shouter or Hisser are both stupid behaviors though very common in many blue collar adult work environments or social groups.

I've occasionally commented on how many people tend to habitually be too emotional communicating with others even about trivial matters. And yes that also shows on community web boards. Most corporate professionals learn to suppress emotions communicating with others while some never learn. Often that is because their families, friends, and others they have associated with during their lives growing up have been the same way.

Being emotional while communicating with others is a sign of professional immaturity. Numbers of highly educated and skilled young professionals have damaged their careers by showing their youthful emotional behaviors when discussing and debating with others, especially in meetings and collaborations with others. The most common way strongly intelligent and skilled people end up changing jobs is often communication conflicts with others due to poor interpersonal skills. It is such an issue, apparently poorly taught at universities, that many corporate HR departments I worked at employ mandatory company wide interpersonal skills classes.
Well, if anyone is being stupid, I tell them.

For most of my life I was neither. I worked very hard at training myself to control angry, so I would say what needed to be said and not stew over it.

Yet I am ashamed to admit there was a period in my life where I became a yeller. Marriage was failing with my wayward wife, two young teens at home, business was struggling, financially falling behind, etc. I was trying to keep twenty fires burning every day, it was too much for me and I started lashing out, and my kids bore the brunt of it.

It saddens me that they have that memory of me.

Of course it can also be generally a cultural thing. An obvious example is the way Italians seem so volatile - especially the women who throw things and scream. The English are far more reserved. This is only a generalised observation.

I am Italian and that speaks for itself, but I have never thrown things.I do talk loud among family I think we all do it but I m not violent.

Chilling calm, during a family conflict, dispute - much more effective than hot shouting.
Unfortunately, I realized this only after many years with my second husband.
It really affects the relationship.
Although sometimes it is very hard to keep your composure, but we need to think about the consequences.

While I don’t shout, my tone does change. I call it my “passionate voice”. Others opinions seem to differ.

I should try hissing. That’ll surely take the edge off as I try to make that sound.

Last edited:
I thought only cats hissed...lol...I try to discuss things calmly now.
I couldn't figure that out either.

Sadly the other alternative was left out. Some people are quite facile at passive aggression, and when their victim tries to respond they turn on their heel and flee. On the phone they talk over the other person until they realize he won't back down with his tail between his legs and then they hang up.

Or is that pattern what "hissing" refers to?

Back