Are you the last of your line?

DaiwaGuy

I am. Neither of my siblings had kids and neither did I. Brother died in 1977 (suicide), sister died two years ago (cancer.) He younger, she older. Egg and sperm donors (don't call them "parents) are long gone. I am the last and given the way I grew up, I am pleased to say, the cycle of abuse ends with me.

I'm not. But only 1 kid has had a kid and I doubt they'll have a second. Another kid won't - long story but they can't. The third kid probably never will but I can't say never.

So we may be tapering off pretty quickly now.

Some of it is health and declining fertility, some a society biased against having many which is turning into not any. Household economics aren't encouraging reproduction either.

In my case, it was the belief bringing children into this world without their consent is immoral, because you're setting up another person for suffering and death. I couldn't do that.

To put it simply, I am antinatalist. Beat me up, now.

I'm close to being the last. Mom & Dad had 3 sons and only one of us reproduced.......my oldest brother's daughter is a criminal type with multiple arrests and was disowned by the entire family years ago.
My parents and both brothers are dead and our marginally functional family line will come to an end when I check out. Except for little miss jail-bait.

We were 6 cousins all female. Finally after we were all grown our youngest uncle married at 37 and had a boy child to carry on the family name. Unfortunately he grew up and had one girl. Our family name ends with him.

Well, I'm female and had one daughter.. so the family name wouldn't carry on with me anyway.. thank God... but I have brothers and one sister who have sons, and the sons have sons.. ..so the name continues on...

I chose not to have children because I'm of the firm opinion that not everyone is cut out for parenthood. Neither of my parents were, none of my step-parents were, and the 2 siblings that I've met weren't cut out or it either. (One half-sibling I've never met, didn't even know he existed 'till about 17 years ago, so who knows about him.) So I think I'm correct in thinking that I was never cut out for it either.

I find it hard to relate to much of this myself. But I came from a large family of large families, and even though as related elsewhere my childhood wasn't perfect I sill have respect for the flawed human beings that I come from.

I can sill remember my old man's oldest sister. She had divorced and disappeared shortly after I became estranged from that side of my family for decades. But later she came back from Argentina with a gaucho in tow and she got my address and invited me to the wedding. They were both fantastic to my then new fiancé - so welcoming, and the odd thing is how she recognized me on sight. Much as her younger sister did at a much later funeral after over two more decades.

So many memories, so many stories. I spent quite a few Summer weeks with farming relatives. I remember how one uncle dealt with the gypsies that came through. They did some blacksmithing and knife sharpening and some field work for him, he provided a stall by the road where the ladies sold trade-good items and handicrafts. When the younger boys "borrowed" items he went to the elders and got them back, no need to call in the law. I remember his reclusive brother who ran the farm next over. As a baby his mother had thrown him to save him from a copperhead strike. While it saved his life he also had deformities that limited mobility and altered his growth and appearance all his life.

I look forward through my own sons, with just as much pride and I hope respect. Now I have a grandson and eagerly welcomed him into the family.

From my point of view their is some toxicity spawned by megacity culture that threatens to overwhelm all of us through media manipulation and the co-opted university system. I'm not happy to listen to those chanting "hate my neighbor, hate my country, hate the world, I hate myself."

I'm just a yokel I guess. A man out of time.

and had one girl. Our family name ends with him.
If a girl chooses to have children and use her maiden name, the name continues.

I’m not saying this just about your family, mrstime. No woman has to take the name of the spouse. A friend was so adamant about this that she initially gave the children her husband’s last name and then had their last name legally changed to her maiden name.

I know there's some relatives out there that share my surname but out of my siblings I'm the only son who had another son. My son is thirty and married but they are fairly certain they don't want to have children, so he may be the last male to carry our name.

My daughter is also married and has kept our last name but stated if they have kids they will have a hyphenated last name, so no continuation there either.

I never had kids. My one brother was ill equipped to be a husband or father after the house we grew up in. And unfortunately he did marry, 2 kids, What an example. My oldest brother, by 11+ years, escaped much of the insanity because he was out of the house when my mother married my enabling/passive stepfather and the borderline went off the rails. My oldest brother is a JW and a first class jerk.

Getting there. I never had kids,,but both my brothers did. One has just a daughter, the other other a son and daughter. None of the three have had children, so we are ending,I guess. But I do have cousins so the surnames from both sides will not end yet.

Yes I am. I didn't have any siblings that survived infancy. Of my father's two sisters, one had three children, but they would have their father's last name. His other sister never had children of her own. His brother never married or had children. When I'm gone, that will be the last of that line in the family.

I am noticing many young/middle-aged parents in the neighborhood only have one child now. It may be the cost of children, childcare etc. it's slowing down the neighborhood. Newlyweds in 2013 live nearby & 1 child a son now 9 years old. 3 of them go to another neighbor who is home when they get off the bus. Their parents arive home well after 4:30 pm most week days. Neighborhoods are going older by the passing years. 7 grandchildren here, 3 girls.
Another generation or 2 possibly. (y)

Surely people remember this film:

Of course it suffers from the conceit that the "intelligent" chose self-extinction though in the real world the selection factor is urbanization.

I was an adopted only child so my father's bloodline died with him in 1987. He was the only boy with 2 sisters that married so my dad's name didn't carry on. From doing Ancestry research years ago to look for my bio parents, I found my mother but all the rest of her children had different father's so I'm technically not related to them. I've met them and like my late husband told me after our meeting...."Your mother did you a big favor to adopt you out." Don't have a clue who bio daddy was and don't care.

Every 40 years or so the population doubles.
That means talent is spread equally across the globe.
Now if the Population only doubled every 100 years,
there would be lots less talent.
If the population only stayed the same number
Talent would just hang on there Bubba.
So, Ai will need no talent thus by-by Bubba.
Then Ai can use its own talent and knock itself off.
Once again diminished returns wins. Intelligence has to go.
It's the 1st rule of chaos. So my lil dog Rosie says Ham-burrrrrr-ga.
When she is hungry, she prances & speaks. When someone is
At the door or nearby she Barks 3 times. Very intelligent and stubborn.

Last edited:

Back