Are your passwords easy for hackers to guess ?

I use a different password for every site. I write them down in a notebook so I can remember all of them. I use a mix of capital letters, regular letters, and symbles +numbers.

Worked at a defense plant for 35 years in IT. It was susposedly a security violation if you had your passwords written down and on your person, Never heard of anyone getting in trouble because of it though. Probably an 'urban legend' that was circulated in IT. A few years back my grandson showed me a way to remember them using upper/lower case, special characters and numbers. Still use the method & usually change them every 90 days.

I suppose my theory that my passwords are safe as long as noone has an interest in hacking me would not fly here. But that is what I believe. I also believe that should a good hacket be intent upon hacking me my changing my password would not save me.

I use phrases which are personal to me...such as 'mum2three'. The one I use on this site is one of my many addresses. Hopefully that makes them a little harder to guess, unless you know me.

I suppose my theory that my passwords are safe as long as noone has an interest in hacking me would not fly here. But that is what I believe. I also believe that should a good hacket be intent upon hacking me my changing my password would not save me.
Thieves in general do not like to ply their trade at a well lite, shurbery-free, dog presence domicle. That's what casing accomplishes. The easier the mark's security is the better. Using the general rules for passwords might deter/delay the crook, they will move onto greener pastures or so you hope.

Last edited:
When I was working the "change password every x months'" PIA ritual was mandatory. I've always felt that good safety practices were more effective than changing passwords. People would share their workstations with other employees- how dumb! Of course there's that little 'sticky' note attached to the lover corner of the monitor with...the password! One of the most common network breach tools is the cutesy email with a clickable link, that hordes of workers would forward to each other.:rolleyes:

But yea, changing passwords periodically is a good preemptive practice, like washing your hands after being in public, or before handling food.

Since forever I've used a free, open source password vault called KeyPass. All of my passwords are generated electronically, randomly and stored in the KeyPass vault. I don't even know what my passwords are. If an armed person broke into my home, threatened my life and asked for the password for, say, my bank, I would simply tell him/her in all honesty "I don't know." I literally have hundreds of accounts with passwords. I've never been hacked. Never lost a password. My KeyPass vault has a random password that is not written down anywhere. Its only in my brain.

Last edited:
Not in the least. I have a coded system that only my son and oldest grandson know how to decipher. I also use a combination of lower and uppercase letters, numbers and if possible..symbols. Many sites now prompt users to use all of those and show if your password is strong or not. I use a different password for every account and believe me I have many. I have two factor identification on certain Google accounts, all my financial institutions and personal medical portals.

I used to get on my husband all the time because his were too easy to guess. And I have a cousin who used "password" as her password. She's a doctor too! I sure hope she changed that.

Since forever I've used a free, open source password vault called KeyPass. All of my passwords are generated electronically, randomly and stored in the KeyPass vault. I don't even know what my passwords are. If an armed person broke into my home, threatened my life and asked for the password for, say, my bank, I would simply tell him/her in all honesty "I don't know." I literally have hundreds of accounts with passwords. I've never been hacked. Never lost a password. My KeyPass vault has a random password that is not written down anywhere. Its only in my brain.
Similar situation here. The PW needed get into my vault is very long, extremely complicated, and requires 2 factor authentication. The passwords it generates are complete gibberish.

Back