Arguing in public

It makes me nervous and hyper alert as I never know where it will go. If I can extricate myself from the area, I leave.
My husband does not yell and rarely swears. I am very sensitive to a raised voice-thus we have somewhat quiet verbal fight. But I yell, otherwise, mr I canā€™t hear, couldnā€˜t hear the rich variety of names I call him. šŸ˜‚. I swear like a dock hand when I am angry.

Not all public arguments are signs of bad domestic situations, either. I don't think many people would want anyone in that situation to "swallow it quietly."
I can't speak for anyone else, but I was referring to individuals who think it's appropriate to conduct their personal spats anywhere and everywhere- was not referring to domestic violence.
I agree, some couples who are totally dedicated to one another, still engage in yes spats, verbal fisticuffs, or whatever you want to call it, and it is part of the way they've learnt to live together.
I think there is a great difference between their arguments, because I think you can sense its a kind of ritual, and not the dreadful kind of abusive relationships we all dislike, or fear if we're in one. :unsure: .

If you are close to them, say "excuse me, " smile pleasantly and walk away. If you are already a good distance away, just ignore it.

The problem of students swearing in school often results in their parents being called in. It can be amusing for staff to hear parents wonder where their kids picked up language like that, contending that they didn't hear it at home. In the vast majority of cases, obscene and vulgar language is modeled daily at home, and children learn what they live...

The problem of students swearing in school often results in their parents being called in. It can be amusing for staff to hear parents wonder where their kids picked up language like that, contending that they didn't hear it at home. In the vast majority of cases, obscene and vulgar language is modeled daily at home, and children learn what they live...
My parents didnā€™t swear and I never swore in school or at home. But once I joined the army, lol, I learned a bunch of new words and used them. Still use them, not in everyday language, of course, I save them for those special moments with my husband. šŸ˜†

A few years before I retired, I was on patrol in the morning hours. It was close to quitting time, which was 10 a.m. A lady waved me down near a playground out in the country. I pulled over and she told me that she had her 2 little kids playing on the swings and see-saws and these two older kids, which were actually 19 and 20, (I found out after investigating), 1 male and 1 female, (they were a couple), were using profane language and she had asked them to please not use that language because of the children nearby. She said that he told her to "F off."

I went over to where they were standing and talking, which was kind of loud. As I approached them, I heard him drop the "F" bomb, so I tried to calm him down when he told me to "F" off. I told him to turn around and put his hands behind his back, so that I could cuff him and that he was under arrest. He tells me that he knows his rights and that he didn't do anything wrong and that I can't arrest him for telling me to "F" off and so on and on. After he was done talking, I asked him again, "Are you going to turn around and put your hands behind your back so that I can cuff you or what?" He wanted to know why he was being arrested. I hated telling him for "disturbing the peace and harassment," but that's all that I had. It's not against the law to swear at a cop, so long as you don't threaten them.

So, he did the smart thing and complied. His bail was $300.00 and at court he paid 2 fines totaling $500, plus costs and whatever his lawyer cost him, which was probably somewhere between $750.00-1000.00. Actually, he was very lucky. Here in Pennsylvania, "Disturbing the Peace" can be a felony if the judge decides that the issue at hand is egregious enough and that could lead to jail time. I put on the court papers that I didn't think this matter deserved to be a felony.

If he would have just quieted down and dropped the profanity, he would have had a much better day.

A few years before I retired, I was on patrol in the morning hours. It was close to quitting time, which was 10 a.m. A lady waved me down near a playground out in the country. I pulled over and she told me that she had her 2 little kids playing on the swings and see-saws and these two older kids, which were actually 19 and 20, (I found out after investigating), 1 male and 1 female, (they were a couple), were using profane language and she had asked them to please not use that language because of the children nearby. She said that he told her to "F off."

I went over to where they were standing and talking, which was kind of loud. As I approached them, I heard him drop the "F" bomb, so I tried to calm him down when he told me to "F" off. I told him to turn around and put his hands behind his back, so that I could cuff him and that he was under arrest. He tells me that he knows his rights and that he didn't do anything wrong and that I can't arrest him for telling me to "F" off and so on and on. After he was done talking, I asked him again, "Are you going to turn around and put your hands behind your back so that I can cuff you or what?" He wanted to know why he was being arrested. I hated telling him for "disturbing the peace and harassment," but that's all that I had. It's not against the law to swear at a cop, so long as you don't threaten them.

So, he did the smart thing and complied. His bail was $300.00 and at court he paid 2 fines totaling $500, plus costs and whatever his lawyer cost him, which was probably somewhere between $750.00-1000.00. Actually, he was very lucky. Here in Pennsylvania, "Disturbing the Peace" can be a felony if the judge decides that the issue at hand is egregious enough and that could lead to jail time. I put on the court papers that I didn't think this matter deserved to be a felony.

If he would have just quieted down and dropped the profanity, he would have had a much better day.
I had the most awful neighbor for years and a few times had to have the sheriff out. One time he was in the guyā€˜s house and had to call for back up. But I did notice when the sheriff interviewed me about the issues, the sheriff would invade my personal space. Getting way too close for my liking as part of me kind of sticks out.

Once, after backing up several times, I asked the sheriff if he was trying to crawl inside my clothes. For some reason, your story reminded me of this. Is invading someones personal space a tactic used by some law enforcement to ā€œforceā€ a possible negative reaction? Iā€™ve always been curious about this behavior.

I had the most awful neighbor for years and a few times had to have the sheriff out. One time he was in the guyā€˜s house and had to call for back up. But I did notice when the sheriff interviewed me about the issues, the sheriff would invade my personal space. Getting way too close for my liking as part of me kind of sticks out.

Once, after backing up several times, I asked the sheriff if he was trying to crawl inside my clothes. For some reason, your story reminded me of this. Is invading someones personal space a tactic used by some law enforcement to ā€œforceā€ a possible negative reaction? Iā€™ve always been curious about this behavior.
I have no knowledge of the Sheriff's style. I have no idea what he was after. Maybe he had a hearing issue? I just can't give you an answer.

We were with friends once in a store and she started loudly yelling at him because he was going to use a credit card to buy toothpaste. We were so embarrassed we walked away and pretended like we didn't know them.

We were with friends once in a store and she started loudly yelling at him because he was going to use a credit card to buy toothpaste. We were so embarrassed we walked away and pretended like we didn't know them.
Embarrassment comes in all forms. At a store with my friend, before I had kids, her son went missing. We spread out to find him. I found him first. He was sitting by the check out stand with a large pile of candy bars, opening and eating them one by one.

The store manager started yelling at me, ranting , completely out of control about this 5 years old kid. Mostly I remember him saying he could charge me for all that candy. Everyone was watching. Finally he took a deep breathe and just glared at me.

I stared at him, the crowd waited for my response, and I gave a truthful reply. ā€œNot my kid.ā€ šŸ˜‚. He walked away to the laughter of a dozen or so people, my friend was among them. I guess he was embarrassed. But no one died. Iā€™ve never heard of anyone actually dying from embarrassment.

Off topic somewhat, but thanks for the memory.

I spent 2 1/2 hours in juvenile court several years ago because I wanted to get a look at the kid who stole my car, so I would know who to shoot if I saw him in my neighborhood again.....just kidding, I wouldn't actually shoot him, at least I don't think I would.

There was a girl, maybe 15 or 16, very rough looking, in there with her mother. The mother looked like she had just stepped off the corner where she did her business. I mean, if Central Casting was looking for a druggy streetwalker from a bad neighborhood, Mom would have been at the top of the list to call. I'm not sure how daughter was able to get as many tattoos at her tender age, but she sure had been raiding her mom's closet.

I was privileged to listen to over an hour's conversation (I guess you could call it conversation) which consisted of every variation of the "f-word" used in every possible combination, and addressed at each other, i.e. "F you, you F-ing little F, I told you I'd F-ing F the F out of you if I had to F-ing come down to this F-ing place again." "Well, F you, mom!" Ad nauseum. The F-ing apple doesn't fall far from the F-ing tree, obviously.

Back