Around The Bend

The Beatles - Don't Let Me Down

This is not the version of ‘Don’t Let Me Down’ heard on the single but the version from the Let It Be… Naked album – a composite of both versions that were performed on the roof of Apple in Savile Row

Last edited:
Bob Dylan 2016 Nobel Lecture in Literature
"This lecture starts out a little stiff but it takes off when Dylan begins to share his understanding of three “grammar school” texts — Moby Dick, All Quiet on the Western Front, and The Odyssey — that have influenced his work. His voice becomes almost sing song at times. A few phrases and words from his own work pop up. His rambling scattershot intertwining of his personality with this great tradition becomes like its own example of how he might see himself as an artist. Like I said, it starts out stiff but really takes off — if you’re a Dylan fan. Worth a listen".

Join the parade, in style!
BIKE-PARADE-1-1-240x300.jpg

Looking back to July 4th 1966, while stationed at Fort Dix NJ, I went with some buddies to Philly to see the sights. I remember the liberty bell, The Betsy Ross House and The American Wax Museum.

5559414823_662eae7f7c_z.jpg

The Wax Museum doesn't seem to have survived in the PC World. I remember especially Patrick Henry, with one arm raised (looking like he was screwing in a light bulb) Betsy Ross's house had steep narrow stairways (to defend against intruders, using swords). I remember seeing little black children rubbing their fingers over the crack in the Liberty Bell).

seen the cavett - hitchcock show - very good and hitchock was funny and very open - and heh check out dick cavett as he interviews dozens and dozens of old hollywood stars - magical and they are all free on Utube

seen the cavett - hitchcock show - very good and hitchock was funny and very open - and heh check out dick cavett as he interviews dozens and dozens of old hollywood stars - magical and they are all free on Utube

Alfred came across as quite a humorous guy, and I also realized that he just may have been the original "Man in Black"! He also could have been the fifth Beatle!
o-ALFRED-facebook.jpg

he was a skilled craftsman behind his camera and knew exactly what he wanted - a man of his times - he knew how to frighten us! but he was a joyous prankster and played expensive and outrageous pranks on his fellow actors

The talk of cigars in another thread, reminded me of a favorite poem by Robert Service

THE PRETTY LADY

He asked the lady in the train
If he might smoke: she smiled consent.
So lighting his cigar and fain
To talk he puffed away content,
Reflecting: how delightful are
Fair dame and fine cigar.

Then from his bulging wallet he
A photograph with pride displayed,
His charming wife and children three,
When suddenly he was dismayed
To hear her say: 'These notes you've got,
I want the lot.'

He scarcely could believe his ears.
He laughed: 'The money isn't mine.
To pay it back would take me years,
And so politely I decline.
Madame, I think you speak in fun:
Have you a gun ?'

She smiled. 'No weapon have I got,
Only my virtue, but I swear
If you don't hand me out the lot
I'll rip my blouse, let down my hair,
Denounce you as a fiend accurst . . .'
He told her: 'Do your worst.'

She did. Her silken gown she tore,
Let down her locks and pulled the cord
That stopped the train, and from the floor
She greeted engineer and guard:
'I fought and fought in vain,' she cried.
'Save me, I'm terrified !'

The man was calm; he stood aloof.
Said he: 'Her game you understand;
But if you doubt, behold the proof
Of innocence is in my hand.'
And as they stared into the car
They saw his logic in a flash . . .
Aloft he held a lit cigar
With two inches of ash.

20150716_193058.jpg

Last edited:
Experts find clues to Lincoln in his boots
Perhaps most famous historic footwear

"LANDOVER (AP) "The flashlight beam lit up the dark interior of Abraham Lincoln's left boot, as if the inside of a tomb, and at the bottom was the smooth and shiny indentation made by the martyred president's heel".

"The odor of fine leather still clung to the top of the boot, where white cloth pull straps were sewed. When the light hit a maroon section of the hide, bootmaker Michael Anthony Carnacchi whispered: "Aha. There's your original color."

"A group of National Park Service curators and conservators craned to peer inside and, in a way, back in time, to the night in 1865 when Lincoln pulled on his boots and clomped to the carriage that took him to Ford's Theatre". (MORE)

81ffd644-88a4-596b-8a79-41995934751f.image.jpg
1bcaf6d1-a2e8-523e-9ae0-3c682fba91e8.image.jpg

Tom Hanks receives a Fiat 126p from Polish town

"What started as some light humour on the Twitter feed of Tom Hanks has resulted in the actor being gifted a fully restored Fiat 126p from a Polish town smitten with his posts."

"Hanks was visiting Hungary last fall where he came across a few random Fiat 126p cars just parked along the streets and took photos with them. He would jokingly lean up against the cars and caption the photos with “I am so excited about my new car!”

screen-shot-2017-12-01-at-12-27-31-pm.jpg

The car was finally shipped to Los Angeles this week with Polish airline LOT, where Hanks posed for a photo with it in the Polish consulate. Hanks couldn’t make it to Bielsko-Biala to meet Jaskolska and his other fans to pick up the car but he did send them a video message.

Back