Art, anything goes...

"A picture painted by the Chinese artist Zhou Schen between the late fifteenth and the early sixteenth centuries shows a mountain landscape rising above the opaque white of the clouds. Without colors, but with complex strokes, alternating dark and light patches, watered down, it sets a great landscape, although, strangely, calm. Some roofs, hidden among the trees, show us possible architectures, but the less well-defined stroke makes us understand that the focus should be placed elsewhere. "

Poet on a Mountain Top
zhou-schen-poet-on-a-mountain-top.jpg

"There, where the top of the mountain frees itself from drawing and returns white as the clouds, stands a figure, stylized yet full of details: the long tunic, with wide sleeves, a sword, the hair collected behind the nape. It is the person described by the title of the work (Poet on a Mountain Top), going forward slowly, due to the solemnity of the action, to the highest peak. "

This is a portrait of Pho Xai. I couldn't find out who this beautiful young man was or where in the Orient he came from. By the head dress I'm guessing Thailand (Siam), but not sure.
Son of Siamese Ambassador
0b60bdebe993385165e25bf7f30d826d--fontainebleau-siamese.jpg

@RadishRose -"The Portrait of Pho Xai appeared at the 'Reception of the Siamese Ambassadors' It opened in Siam to trade with the Western countries, and in 1856 he acclaimed a treaty with France that called an exchange with ambassadors. Gerome painted the Son of the Second Ambassador of Siam to France. He was known as Pho Xai."

Last edited:
I love art installations and conceptual art. I saw this one at the Tate Modern in London last year in February. It's a piece by Haegue Yang called Sol LeWitt Upside Down - Structure with Three Towers, Expanded 23 Times, Split in Three. I've included the description that was posted in the room with the piece.

IMG_4891.JPG

IMG_4895.JPG

I had meant to put the image I posted in the favorite photos, one per day here as interesting art. Here's another one. This is also from Burning Man 2007, it's The Temple. I've got a shot from the outside and two from the inside showing the intricate detail. The Temple is a structure where people write things, post things and leave things related to people, places and things they're letting go of. The temple is burned on the last night of the burn and a lot of people feel very cleansed by the ritual of letting go. One often sees very personal items and writings about love ones who have passed, relationships which have ended and past portions of people's lives that they are letting go of.

100_1141.JPG

100_1133.JPG

100_1134.JPG

Back