Art, anything goes...

cross2.jpg
Guelph Treasure. The collection, called the Welfenschatz in German, is said to now be worth at least $250 million.

WASHINGTON -- The Supreme Court's ruling Wednesday in a multimillion-dollar dispute over a collection of religious artworks will make it harder for some lawsuits to be tried in U.S. courts over claims that property was taken from Jews during the Nazi era.

…..The heirs argued that their relatives were forced to sell the collection of gold and silver artworks, including elaborate containers used to store Christian relics, intricate altars and ornate crosses, for below market value.

The heirs originally pressed their claims in Germany, but a German commission found the artworks’ sale was made voluntarily and for fair market value. A suit was then filed in the United States. Germany and the state-run foundation that owns the collection, which is on display in Berlin’s Museum of Decorative Arts, argued the case did not belong in American courts…….

https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/supreme-court-sides-germany-nazi-era-art-dispute-75660007?cid=social_twitter_wnt

I don't know much about styles of art, but I have a thing about rainy city street scenes, like this one. Don't think I've ever seen one I didn't like. :confused: Maybe it's the reflections and highlights.

Cortes%252C+Edouard-Leon+-+rainy+street+scene.jpg
I love rainy city street art, too!

View attachment 147923
Guelph Treasure. The collection, called the Welfenschatz in German, is said to now be worth at least $250 million.

WASHINGTON -- The Supreme Court's ruling Wednesday in a multimillion-dollar dispute over a collection of religious artworks will make it harder for some lawsuits to be tried in U.S. courts over claims that property was taken from Jews during the Nazi era.

…..The heirs argued that their relatives were forced to sell the collection of gold and silver artworks, including elaborate containers used to store Christian relics, intricate altars and ornate crosses, for below market value.

The heirs originally pressed their claims in Germany, but a German commission found the artworks’ sale was made voluntarily and for fair market value. A suit was then filed in the United States. Germany and the state-run foundation that owns the collection, which is on display in Berlin’s Museum of Decorative Arts, argued the case did not belong in American courts…….

https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/supreme-court-sides-germany-nazi-era-art-dispute-75660007?cid=social_twitter_wnt
I bet Deb wishes she had not put it in her garage sale pile 😍

Kitsch is art or other objects that, generally speaking, appeal to popular rather than "high art" tastes. Such objects are sometimes appreciated in a knowingly ironic or humorous way. One such artist is Jack Vettriano, his work graces calendars, prints and so much more. However, the chattering classes are far too snobbish to appreciate Vettriano's talent. Here's five of his dance themes.
JV2.jpgJV3.jpgJV4.jpgJV5.jpgJV6.jpg

Back