As The Crow Flies

crow-house.jpg

Joe, the Crow

25023890_206413149916464_7135647485774528512_n.jpg

One Sunday, while we were talking about counting those who attend church, I asked “do we include the bird who finds its way in”?

Bill told me the story of Joe the crow, who flew in the front door one Sunday and upset Mary. He went on to tell how, about 25 years ago, he removed 4 baby crows from the nest. He and each of his two brothers kept one, and his Dad kept the remaining crow, who he named Joe. The idea was to keep the crow in a cage, feed and care for it, and over time it would become used to humans and be a pet. Well, Bill who was working each day, released his crow too soon, and it flew off, never to be seen again.

His Dad had been spending quite a bit of time with his crow, and Joe had become domesticated. He told Bill to take Joe home and keep him. He fed Joe bread and milk with sugar in it. A special treat was old, stale raisin bread. Joe was “helpful”…he would sit right next to the cat, and “help” eat the cat’s food, and he would also “help” the neighbor empty her clothesline by pulling the pins off the line.

Joe was attracted to shiny objects, and one day, while playing with his ring of keys around the crow, Bill made the mistake of throwing the keys too close to Joe, and he grabbed them in his beak and flew off. Bill, waving his arms and yelling, ran after Joe, who soon dropped his treasure. Bill never did that again.

When Bill & Mary went to church, Joe was alone and seeking human company would fly over to the church. One Sunday, Joe flew in the front door to visit. We don’t know if he was “counted”, but he was “ushered” outside. Mary worried that he might try to fly in one of the windows. She knew our church was something to crow about….but this was going too far!

Finally, the time came when Joe flew away, and Bill thought that was the end of Joe. But the next spring, Joe returned with the “Mrs.”, who being shy, remained in the woods. After three days of visiting and saying goodbye, Joe flew away with his mate and they never saw him again.
Bill said that baby groundhogs, dug up and removed from the hole can be made into pets the same way. Why it can even work with a baby skunk…..if you feel up to the challenge!

Crow Man Puppet(VIDEO)

"The former Poet Laureate Ted Hughes once declared: “Scratch an Englishman, find not a lion but a Crow.”
Now, the company behind the blockbuster play War Horse is breathing life into puppets once again, this time with birds taking centre stage.
The Handspring Puppet Company will tomorrow premiere Crow, a “dance theatre” adaptation of Hughes’ poems about the bird".

07CROW-jumbo.jpg

Finished this pictorial puzzle (nonogram) on a puzzle-solving website last night. Took me 25 minutes. It was titled "Crow." Sorry, I couldn't resist posting it. :playful:
crow1.jpg

Back