As you get older, do you find yourself downsizing, decluttering.

19 yrs ago I downsized from a large house to a 1 bedroom apartment. My son and daughter-in-law took as much as they wanted, and since I really had no time or experience selling things, most were just given away to anyone who wanted them and would cart it away. The local goodwill, salvation army took a lot of the bedroom furniture and other things. The attic & basement seemed to have turned into a storage space for a lot of years before it reached the curbside garbage.

I'll be moving again early next year, and I have already started discarding, giving away things that I would not want to pay to move. It's much easier now after I have had 2 experiences emptying out homes of deceased family members. I try to live a somewhat (not severe) minimalist existence.
Love your post here. I’m moving too. I can’t bear the thought of mindlessly paying movers to move it so I am giving everything away. Most things are gone. Large smart tv that’s 11 years old is next give away. It has 3D. Movers will charge me over a thousand dollars to move 15 miles. So with that money I’m buying a new bed, new tv, new small mirrored bedside table.

These dining chairs I am not parting with, they go with me, I’m totally attached to them.
Had special ordered these about 12 years ago, when I was looking to replace my wood dining set.
I wanted good sturdy adult chairs……nothing priccy, dainty, or fancy…..they’re black matt iron, quality fabric seats…..have 6. Will hang them from the ceiling if I have to. 😉😉😉.
The table I ordered at the same time, has the iron legs, and a walnut arbarite top, I’m selling it, because it’s too big.
Planning to take the chairs with when I die…..just don’t know how yet. 😉😉😉.9A407777-C48D-4CBA-AF5F-947D7ACBD4B8.jpeg

A women who lives on our street had a medical emergency a couple of weeks ago. The Toronto Paramedics had a really hard time just getting into her front door hallway, due to huge piles of "stuff ". They couldn't get their gurney into the house, so they had to carry her out side. A few days later the Toronto City By Law enforcement officers went to the house and did a safety inspection, so did the Toronto Fire Service inspectors. The result was a court order for the house to be cleared to a safe standard. Her 3 adult sons came and spent THREE DAYS taking "stuff " out of it, and putting it into a 40 cubic yard disposal bin. She is not a senior, she is 46 years old. The By Law inspectors will be checking back in 90 days to check the inside condition of the house. JimB.
Hoarder. I've seen quite a few of them on that TV show. They are very disturbed people.

This will sound like I’m almost whining……but not really.
Have 8 iron plant hanger/stands for outdoors.
So, brought them out of the shed, set them up, will clean them one of these days.
Getting to the end of summer, thought they might take a while to sell……anyway…..listed them at supper time…..all sold by the time I finished supper.
So, they’ll get cleaned today for pick up.
My phone is still dinging…..don’t delete my listings till they’re picked up.

Tis a HARD LIFE.😉😉😉.

I have been wondering about something…..and it sounds kinda dumb.
Are people on Facebook selling groups 24 / 7.
Because the response seems so quick. 🤔🙄😉🤔.

I’m posted a little while ago about selling things in order to downsize, getting rid of stuff I don’t use or need.
Sold my king bed, went down to a full/double…..I spend a lot less time making the bed now. 😉.
I mentioned I sold some kitchen items, which was to my foster daughter, I’ve given her so much, that I thought some things could be bought, she said she wanted to buy…..sent the counter top roaster and bullet/ninja stuff with her when she came to look at the stuff…..haven’t been paid yet for those two items yet…..when I was there for supper yesterday, it seemed she thought I gave her the stuff free…..we talked about price before, when she looked at the stuff.
Her sister wanted to buy the two end tables and the coffee table……not letting those go till I’m paid.

I’m doing a lot of going through stuff……do I use it……do I need it……
Feel good about doing this…….for me……it’s time.

Any of you with the same thoughts of doing this.
Absolutely. I find it freeing to rid myself of excess whatevers.

My life has always been kind of precarious, and I often get rid of things when I move. I never liked much "stuff" anyway (pictures, decorations, etc.).

For many years I've had a policy of owning only what I can carry in my 2 hands, and that will fit in my car. This doesn't mean everything fits in my car all at once -- just that I don't own any bulky items. (Yup, I sleep on mats on the floor.)

I'm always trying to simplify my cooking methods and other aspects of my life. This means that some kitchen gadgets, and other things I've bought, no longer seem like a good idea. I've been waiting for inspiration/energy to get them together and take them to the thrift store. This thread might be just the motivation I need! Thank you.

For many years I've had a policy of owning only what I can carry in my 2 hands, and that will fit in my car. This doesn't mean everything fits in my car all at once -- just that I don't own any bulky items. (Yup, I sleep on mats on the floor.)

I'm always trying to simplify my cooking methods and other aspects of my life. This means that some kitchen gadgets, and other things I've bought, no longer seem like a good idea. I've been waiting for inspiration/energy to get them together and take them to the thrift store. This thread might be just the motivation I need! Thank you.
Why do you impose such draconian rules on yourself? If you need the space, that's one thing, but once you're settled somewhere why not have time savers to make your life easier, more comfortable and more pleasurable?

Do you somehow believe you're undeserving of things that make life a little easier and more enjoyable?

My life has always been kind of precarious, and I often get rid of things when I move. I never liked much "stuff" anyway (pictures, decorations, etc.).

I'm always trying to simplify my cooking methods and other aspects of my life.
Gosh, you sound just like my husband! He was also from BC. Are you one of 7 or 8 sisters?

I called him a minimalist (to the extreme). It even affected how we spell our son's name!

I rid him of this behavior, of course.

Yes, I get the minimalist spelling bit. Even though I'm Canadian, I prefer American spelling! It's more efficient.

I'm not from BC originally.

Back