At the age of 50 weightlifting is good?

paulgonzales86

Hi,
This is the general question I want to ask for everyone so those people are doing weightlifting they will also get knowledge or information. It is open to all so please share your thoughts and views.

You might want to get this post added to the exercise forum since it’s exercise related.
Weight lifting is good for adults of almost any age. You just need to be patient and sensible about it.
Proper posture and body alignment is very important for weight lifting or you could potentially injure yourself.
Its always best to start off light and easy at first and build yourself up to heavier weights with more sets and reps than going all out. With age and weightlifting there’s a greater chance of injury so you need to be careful as well as cautious.

A lot of people use spotters when they weight lift but this is also for very heavy weights. A spotter helps make sure you are lifting evening, balanced and in proper form.

Do you have your own weights or are you planning on going to a gym?
What are your goals and why are you now interested?

Im 59 and I weight lift.

Start very light, light enough that it might "feel" useless. What ever you can do for 'higher' reps 12-15. Stay with that for about a month. Using absolute perfect form . Then start bumping the weight up as [only you] can judge. Drop the reps a-bit 10-12. I would target 8-10 for my final, 3 sets each body part, two body parts per session.each body part , twice p/week. Change your entire routine about every 4-6 weeks.

If you have a competition goal in mind? Body-Building/Power-lifting , maybe consider a trainer, a true expert.

Also given your age, and the fact that your question suggest that you are a rookie.....You might want to look into resistance bands for maybe six months , before going to 'weights'. They are much easier on the joints, and in the case of overhead movements [bench for example] they are much safer.

If you are going to a gym? Ask the guys there, they're usually very willing to help.........until your routine surpasses theirs....then they won't talk to ya..........:eek:nthego:

All the above is just my opinion.

I use a fitness station instead of free weights. I think it's safer, since you can't drop anything on you & get hurt.

Weight bearing exercise strengthens the bones and is recommended for those over 50 to avoid problems such as osteoporosis, etc. Just walking is considered a weight bearing exercise, since you're using the weight of your body. Both men and women benefit from such exercising, even light weights can be very beneficial, they don't have to be heavy where you risk injury or strains. My husband and I both do a little weight lifting just to maintain our strength in our old age. As the saying goes, 'use it or lose it'.

Absolutely. As pointed out if for no other reason to maintain bone density. But strength must be worked on at any age. You don't use it you lose it. I wouldn't try to keep up with the 20 year olds or mess with heavy singles but 2-3 sets of at least 4-6 reps if not 10 should help. Don't strain or cheat. If you can't do any more simply stop and rack the weight-never hold it place waiting for energy.

I'm 68, will turn 69 in a few months. I'm at the gym a couple of hours a day, and half that is weightlifting. I am not qualified, nor know your state of health, to give you 'pointers' on weightlifting. The best advice I could give you would be to get a personal trainer for half a dozen sessions who would get you started with proper technique, determine what exercises you could do and what weight you should be using. If you just hit the gym, start picking up weights and mimic what someone else is doing is going to put you into the ER.

But, as others have posted, weight lifting is absolutely essential as you age. Keeping your muscles and bones in shape are key to good health. You lose muscle mass and bone as you age, and no amount of supplements will take the place of weight bearing exercises. And there is no age limit to it. There are plenty of 80 somethings at my gym, along with the high school kids.
Definitely get on it. Just start out correctly.

Yes, I was confused about where to ask this question. Thanks for sharing good information I hope it will help all those are here above in the age range of the '50s. I heard from people when they do exercise at that time dont feel any pain but on next day it hurts so what is that??? can you please guide further???

Yes, I was confused about where to ask this question. Thanks for sharing good information I hope it will help all those are here above in the age range of the '50s. I heard from people when they do exercise at that time dont feel any pain but on next day it hurts so what is that??? can you please guide further???

When you start out, you're going to be sore. Even seasoned weight lifters who quit lifting for some time (illness, vacation, just miss for some time for any reason) will get sore after they start back out. We go on 3 week trips and I am sore for the first week after getting back to the gym.
And yes, you're usually sore the next day, not the day you worked out. That will work itself out. And, contrary to what seems logical, you need to keep working those same muscles to actually make them feel better. You lighten the weights considerably, do fewer reps, and work through the soreness. It might be weeks or a month or two you experience soreness after weight lifting, but it will pass unless you have some medical condition or are not doing the weights properly.
If this happens, take a pain reliever of your choice, work through it. It will go away if you exercise regularly. The thing about working out one hears constantly is: it's hard to be motivated, it's sometimes inconvenient to work out, you get aches and pains for awhile, but after a few months, you feel really good. You end up with a much better sense of 'wellbeing' if you stick to it.

Absolutely. I'm 71 and I lift three days a week. You will need longer to recover from a workout than when you were younger however. I usually lift on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I only do two exercises, Bench Press and Deadlift and I alternate them. So this week I did the Bench Press on Monday, then Dead lifts today and Bench Press again on Friday. Next week it will be the opposite. I find that on this schedule I can do 12 sets of progressively heavier bench presses, with the following number of repetitions, 10, 8, 6, 4,3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3,. However with Dead Lifts I have to take it much easier. I generally only do 5 sets progressively heavier, with the following number of repetitions, 8, 6, 4, 2, 1.

This of course is the routine that I like the best. Everyone needs to find their own way.

Sounds like a very good idea. I am doing physical therapy with weights on my ankles. I know it's not the same thing as weight machines but still I use weights. My legs are getting stronger but I do need a day or to in between because of pain. But my muscles are not in good shape, they are getting better now though. I hope it works well for you.

Back