At what age did you stop changing oil on your car?

I quit doing it myself sometime in the late 70's. When I was a boy, living in a logging camp, the Company had lots of used oil to deal with. They had a big holding tank and when it was nearly full, they would put the oil in an oil truck and run up and down the gravel roads spraying the oil over the gravel. Probably bad for the environment but it kept the dust down when big trucks passed by.

At what age did you stop changing oil on your car?
Early fifties. Age didn't have anything to do with it, I just got tired of the clean up(oil pan, any dribbles on the concrete) plus having to dispose of the oil myself. At the time I was making good money, mandatory overtime due to minimum staffing and mandated position. I figured the local garage can take care of all the "muss & fuss" while I go across the street for a breakfast burrito. ;)

I can change my own oil in less than the amount of time it takes to drive to the nearest garage. It's such a simple process, yet the service people at garages manage to screw it up. They're probably just earning minimum wage, yet people trust them with $30,000 vehicles. Or more.

I have always maintained there are a handful of reasons women get married....oil changes and tire rotation are on the list. But now I pay a guy to do that....so I'm rethinking the list...and my life choices😂😂😂.

Do you mean at what point, is it no longer necessary to check or change the oil?
I recently had my Year 2022 car's liquids/fluids checked.

I haven't stopped yet changing oil. But I did it not from the beginning. I've started in my young 20s. One of my friends had changed the oil, but didn't fasten the screw under the oil sump firmly enough. It started to leak and I had to do it again. Since that time I change my oil by myself (on the car and the motorbike, I had at that time). The bike is gone for a long time, but the car oil change continues.

Back