At what age...

ashg

At what age did you start thinking about retirement communities?
At what age did you start researching retirement communities?
At what age did you move into a retirement community?

I think it's an individuals decision/thoughts:) Everyone is different, at least that's how it seems to me ashg. Welcome to Senior Forums, lots of folks to talk to, lots of opinions, lots of different experiences. Denise;)

We looked into them, probably at about age 50, then decided to take out a Long Term Care Insurance policy. The good ones seem to be ridiculously expensive, and sitting around all day listening to old Seniors telling stories about all their various "ailments" would quickly become depressing. We would much rather try to stay in our own home, and pay someone to come in and help with the cooking, cleaning, basic care, etc.

Someday, perhaps. It would be quieter than where we are living now. Actually, we'd would rather be around folks our own age than the much younger ones that move in here.

At what age did you start thinking about retirement communities?--45

At what age did you start researching retirement communities? -- 55

At what age did you move into a retirement community? -- 59

I do too butterfly, unless it's an exceptional place (expensive too) I guess. I hope I get to pass away in my own bed, before I need anyone to be there with me. I just want to remain as independent as possible for as long as I can, hah, who the heck doesn't;)

I love our home and location and wouldn't move unless forced to by illness or alzheimers. I do think if husband dies first though that I'd feel too isolated and lonely here and would get too depressed.

I've decided that I'm going to think ageless and act ageless; and live and be active until the end. No rocking chair or retirement community for me.

Back