Bad Knees?

I have a prosthetic knee and I think your description (this time) is correct. The joint is fine but the muscles and nerves around it aren't "normal". I've only had the surgery one year now and I don't know what to expect further down the line but as it is now my knee gets tired and it aches after about 2 to 3 miles walk and going down the stairs is dodgy although going up is not bad.
IMO and with my replacements......it does take more than a year to have the muscles, nerves, to repair.
You will probably never be able to kneel down on your knees ever again.....i can't.....but not an issue.
And.....you will have some quirks, which just goes with the territory.

The only thing I take seriously is when a hand grenade is tossed my way.

I didn't post to claim that gin & raisins is a remedy for everyone, just wanted to share that what I thought at the time sounded far fetched actually worked for me.

Since then I've experimented with figs, dates, dried cherries in gin. All 3 make a nice brandy like flavored drink. Not for knee pain relief just to see if dried fruit could be used to flavor gin. Overall Jamerson triple distilled Irish whiskey or spiced rum with coke beats sweet drinks.
I’m not a drinker. I do enjoy a glass of wine with my evening meals but no hard stuff. Anyway, the benefits of consuming alcohol to alleviate pain are world-renowned but whether it can possibly have any long-lasting effects is something I will have to trust you to be true.

There are other advantages to taking alcohol internally. I sometimes suffer from something called pnigerophobia The first sign of it was when I was scuba diving in 1981 and I was panic-stricken when my oxygen suddenly ran out – or so I thought. There was plenty of oxygen in the tank as it turned out. I never went diving again. Anyway, I don’t do any “caving”, I avoid small elevators, etc. I was near panic on an airplane once but I discovered a remedy: whiskey. As soon as I get settled in my seat I pluck a cola, a plastic cup, and a miniature bottle of whiskey from my pocket and I’m fair sailing to my destination! It hasn’t cured me of my pnigerophobia but it gets the job done.

So you were told to avoid the same things you would ......... if you were being cautious with your natural knee ?

Are you sure .... you gained by having the replacement operation ?

I mean, IMO if one cannot return to 'normal' ? what's the point ? Unless of course, after the surgery one is absolutely pain free .
In my case, the meniscus had deteriorated and my knee was literally bone rubbing against bone every step I took. VERY painful. My knee replacement corrected that and although the muscles and nerves around it are still sore it is a great improvement and (I am led to believe) even this discomfort will eventually subside with use.

My knowledge referring to joint replacements are....
Pain is caused from....bone on bone.....cartilage is worn down or gone
Many reasons why this happens.
I had no cartilage left on both knees, therefore every step was pain.
My hips have the same story.....both need done....could have had them done 2 to 3 years ago.....had passed it up....now i'm sorry for that decision.
Rehab for hips have more restrictions.....live alone.....have 3 dogs.
Homecare is available......help with the dogs somewhat hard.
Exactly. When I went to the doc's he offered me physiotherapy with the possibility of surgery. He was pushing for physiotherapy but I was 72 and I didn't want to waste the rest of my life on lofty "promises" of a cure that might very well lead to surgery eventually anyway. So, I insisted on surgery. I made the right choice.

IMO and with my replacements......it does take more than a year to have the muscles, nerves, to repair.
You will probably never be able to kneel down on your knees ever again.....i can't.....but not an issue.
And.....you will have some quirks, which just goes with the territory.
That's great news! Thank you! (y)

I have a different sort of problem with my knees...bursitis. It's caused by crawling around on the floor, which I do a lot. When I clean my floor, I get down on hands and knees to do it...plus I have to clean up after my guinea pigs. They have the run of the room and they are not house trained!

I've read a lot of the posts and my knees don't seem to be as bad as a lot of other people's. However sometimes either one of them will bother me pretty bad. I will then use my knee support sleeve and put heat and cold on it.

Otherwise they generally hurt and ache when I stand up.

Back