Banter that offends versus playful banter

He was an verbally, emotionally, mentally, sexually and financially abusive, and borderline narcissistic. He has many of the traits of Narcissistic Personality Disorder. It wasn't obvious when I married him...I mean he was a bit hotheaded and volatile, but nothing like he ultimately ended up...controlling and dominating of me and the kids. We were virtually prisoners in our own home. It took me a long, long time to find the courage to leave. And yeah, his "banter" was always bullying and sadistic.
I'm so sorry you and your kids endured that for so long Ronni, but kudos to you for finally finding the courage to leave. You set a good example for your kids by doing so, that no one deserves mental abuse. Hope you and your kids are doing well and feeling strong and hopeful.

I'm so sorry you and your kids endured that for so long Ronni, but kudos to you for finally finding the courage to leave. You set a good example for your kids by doing so, that no one deserves mental abuse. Hope you and your kids are doing well and feeling strong and hopeful.
Thanks Dee. Yeah, we're all doing well now. There are scars....how could there not be? But the baggage and issues and residual effects are are so much easier to deal with than the active abuse.

Sometimes I beat myself up for having married the man, or harbor regret for having taken so long to finally get up the guts to leave. But if I hadn't married him, I wouldn't have that these amazing children and grandchildren and I just simply cannot imagine life any other way. Too, I've attended support groups and have been an active volunteer with abused families, and I am deeply aware that some people never do leave, or if they do, then repeat the pattern and find themselves with another abusive spouse or partner. Not only did I no repeat the pattern, but my life story so far has led me to a wonderful relationship with an amazing man. I am very lucky. Many aren't.

Back