Baseball star signs record 700 million dollar contract for 10 years

How long has he been w/the Dodgers?
He just became a member. That's part of the reason for the high price to incentivize him to join them. Anaheim was his old team. I think he likes California weather.

Do we need any more examples of how society has fallen apart? Who pays his salary? The fans. Working folk.
Not even. A lot of tickets are bought en mass by ticket agencies or business frequently buy season tickets for clients or even employees(reward etc). Simply put they are catering to or for the high end customer. The working class really can't afford an 8 dollar hot dog, soda or program. Problem decades ago the working family could afford several outings a year if not season tickets. Now one trip to a pro sports game is probably a $200-300 tab if one includes tickets, parking along with food and souvineers.

And to lower the tax bill 680 million of the 700 million will be deferred getting him out of some luxury taxes in LA and other cities.

MSN

These stars now bringing accountants to the negotiation table?

When I first heard about this, I thought that was an astonishing figure..even though I don't follow baseball. I saw on the news that he is deferring 680 million of that until the end of the contract term. Allegedly it's because he wants the Dodgers to be able to use that money for his team mates and whatever else. But what @WhatInThe posted above seems likely too; perhaps from the advice of his attorney or financial advisor. It was pointed out that he can live on 2 million a year from the contract because he's getting 50 million for endorsements. Nice move for such a young man.

Isn't this all run by the gambling industry anyway? I can't turn on the TV without a barrage of ads for ways to pour my money down the sports gambling rathole. Maybe it needs to be treated like alcoholism and other vices that get out of control?
Meh, I'm am absolutely not (not, not, not) into sports at all, but I think we should let people have their fun. If they're watching sports, good on them for enjoying themselves. I don't know that all people who enjoy watching sports are gambling. At any rate, if they're gambling, that's for them to deal with.

Sorry...no one is worth that. Especially a sports star
I agree but the fans that buy tickets, parking, tv packages, souvineers, jerseys, hats, over priced food and drink at the stadiums enable this.

Unfortunately it will take something like an injury that will prevent on of these millionaire players from producing and disappointing fans who pay one way or another.

From a marketing ploy they might see a lot of business from overseas from this guy

Teams get much of their money through cable TV contracts, so don’t be surprised if your cable bill goes up again or any streaming service that carries MLB will also see a hike.

I haven’t been inside an MLB ballpark in 15 years. Even when I am offered free tickets, I say, “No, but thanks.” I’m not about to pay $50 or more to park and another $50 or more at the concession stand.

Not until the fans wise up will prices even begin to level off. I think he’s also looking to buy 2 or 3% of the team.

What "fans" are we talking about? The fans of yesteryear who filled the park on week-days when they could escape from their 9 - 5 factory or farm jobs or today's high salaried executives that are (in many cases) chauffeur driven to the Park?
Now-a-days most major professional teams cater to the wealthy and connected folks and care little about lesser individuals. That's the way life has evolved here in the U.S. If you're in that category, so-be-it, but it is rather sad to see the extreme disparity in wealth that makes up our daily lives. Always has been this separation and always will be but you would hope that those in power will leave a few scraps "of a good life" to those at the bottom of the ladder.

Back