BBC in the Wrong

Mike

The BBC TV Licence people keep sending reminders and threats of a court
case and £1000 fine, to the address of a woman who disappeared 14 years
ago, as she walked home late at night.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...g-missing-university-chef-TV-licence-fee.html

This was a really sad case, when it happened, there was a lot of speculation,
yet no clues were ever found and Claudia Lawrence is still missing.

Mike.

If it was me I wouldn’t let it bother me at all. I would just keep the letters threatening legal action in readiness for the next major covid outbreak. I would keep the paper letters in readiness for when the shops run out of toilet paper. If it was me I might even write back to them thanking them for the paper, and for the “emergency” averted.

It’s not the BBC sending out these letters; it’s a large organisation that used to be called, Capita Business Solutions LTD. Now I think they just simply call themselves Capita. On their letters they refer to themselves as TV Licencing, but TV Licencing isn’t a company as such. It’s just a logo that Capita use under licence.

They are mostly sales people, working on a salary & commission to sell you a TV Licence if you are registaired as not having one. I don’t have a TV License; they have knocked on my door several times. I just turn them away and say to them, “No thank you, you have nothing that I want to buy from you”. The only other thing I once said to them is that I don't need one. I feel i only need to say that to them once. They park thair car out of the way in the next street so I can't see thair car, then they walk around & know on my door. They must think I was born yesterday.

As for the letters themselves, they are automated from Capita, and they get more threatening as you ignore each one. Including threatening to take people to court. I’ve been ignoring them for the past eleven years.

I used to get similar letters posted at my dead mothers house. They didn't upset me in the slightest. I just ignored them & got on with my life. I feel I have better things to concern myself with than worrying about letters from a corporate organisation threating me to take me to court it I don’t buy something from them.

It wouldn’t surprise me if the Daily Mail already knows this. But then they wouldn’t have a ‘story to sell’ would they.

Last edited:
After watching the video and reading a few more explanations, it’s my opinion based on what I heard and read, it’s my opinion that what these people are doing by lying to make a sale would be committing fraud here in the U.S. If you actually would make a purchase based on what the salesperson told you, it could also be seen as theft.

I would ask someone with legal expertise, whether it be someone in the police fraud unit or an attorney, if a cease and desist order could be served on the company.

After watching the video and reading a few more explanations, it’s my opinion based on what I heard and read, it’s my opinion that what these people are doing by lying to make a sale would be committing fraud here in the U.S. If you actually would make a purchase based on what the salesperson told you, it could also be seen as theft.

I would ask someone with legal expertise, whether it be someone in the police fraud unit or an attorney, if a cease and desist order could be served on the company.
It's fully legal to serve a demand for a Television Licence.. The BBC is funded almost wholly by the Television Licence paid for by the public .. the Licencing company works on behalf of the BBC and The licence fee is set by the Government.

It's illegal to use any kind of receiving equipment such as Televisions, radios etc.. without paying a TV licence fee.....

https://lordslibrary.parliament.uk/future-funding-of-the-bbc-lords-committee-report/

Last edited:
I

They are mostly sales people, working on a salary & commission to sell you a TV Licence if you are registaired as not having one. I don’t have a TV License; they have knocked on my door several times. I just turn them away

Magna-Carta,
I'm an Amerkin. I could never understand how the BBC knew you were watching TV when they are broadcasting over the air.. Yeah, maybe when you buy a TV, but if they can smuggle in cocaine, marijuana, etc. I'm sure some enterprising felon can smuggle in TVs for a profit??? And being illegal doesn't stop everybody, and really how many years in jail for it?

I'm an Amerkin. I could never understand how the BBC knew you were watching TV when they are broadcasting over the air.. Yeah, maybe when you buy a TV, but if they can smuggle in cocaine, marijuana, etc. I'm sure some enterprising felon can smuggle in TVs for a profit???
it's not just TV

A TV Licence covers you to:

Watch and or record TV on any channel via any tv service .. this includes Sky, Virgin Freesat and Freeview.. , also you need a licence to watch live streaming services, example .. ITV4 Youtube, All 4, Amazon prime Video.. Sky Go.. and many more..and also BBC Iplayer

This applies to any device, including a TV, computer, laptop, phone, tablet, games console or digital box.

You only need one TV Licence per household, even if you use more than one of the devices listed above. A TV Licence costs £159 ...if you don't pay it.. and you're taken to court.. you can face a fine of up to £1000..if you don't pay the fine you can and people do go to prison..

It's fully legal to serve a demand for a Television Licence.. The BBC is funded almost wholly by the Television Licence paid for by the public .. the Licencing company works on behalf of the BBC the The licence fee is set by the Government.

It's illegal to use any kind of receiving equipment such as Televisions, radios etc.. without paying a TV licence fee.....

https://lordslibrary.parliament.uk/future-funding-of-the-bbc-lords-committee-report/
I understand Holly, but if a salesperson comes to your door and tells you that they can detect that you are receiving shows on TV without a license, they can have you arrested, that would be fraud, right? Are salespeople allowed to lie to make a sale?

How does, or did it work?

How the BBC is funded today?

From the gov.uk website:

Overview

You need a TV Licence if you:

* watch or record live TV on any channel or service
* use BBC iPlayer

You do not need a TV Licence to watch:

* streaming services like Netflix and Disney Plus
* on-demand TV through services like All 4 and Amazon Prime Video
* videos on websites like YouTube
* videos or DVDs

How much it costs: A TV Licence costs £159 (£53.50 for black and white TV sets) for both homes and businesses.

https://www.gov.uk/tv-licence

Last edited:
I understand Holly, but if a salesperson comes to your door and tells you that they can detect that you are receiving shows on TV without a license, they can have you arrested, that would be fraud, right? Are salespeople allowed to lie to make a sale?

No one has ever been prosecuted form evidence of any detector devise. The can't "have you arrested" without proof.

No it wouldn't be Fraud.. because they're not selling you a TV licence, they are a officials working on behalf of the TV licensing company

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/faqs/FAQ72

it's not just TV

A TV Licence covers you to:

Watch and or record TV on any channel via any tv service .. this includes Sky, Virgin Freesat and Freeview.. , also you need a licence to watch live streaming services, example .. ITV4 Youtube, All 4, Amazon prime Video.. Sky Go.. and many more..and also BBC Iplayer

This applies to any device, including a TV, computer, laptop, phone, tablet, games console or digital box.

You only need one TV Licence per household, even if you use more than one of the devices listed above. A TV Licence costs £159 ...if you don't pay it.. and you're taken to court.. you can face a fine of up to £1000..if you don't pay the fine you can and people do go to prison..
What I don't understand, how does the BBC know if you have a pirated TV/radio stashed in a closet? There were millions of small portable TVs.

What I don't understand, how does the BBC know if you have a pirated TV/radio stashed in a closet? There were millions of small portable TVs.
well as long as you don't have it turned on..they can't know. However the BBC. aka licencing authority presume unless you tell them differently that evry household in the country has a TV or something that can receive TV or radio programming..

In the financial year 2020/2021 (April to April), the BBC's total income was £4.9 billion (approximately $6.6 billion USD). Compare that to say Fox News Channel – revenue of $2.7 billion USD. NBC $2.5 billion; CBS $2.3; ABC $1.9 billion; TNT cable channel estimated $1.2 billion; USA Network cable channel $1.1 billion.

The BBC's income comes primarily from the TV licence, but the BBC also has a commercial business called “BBC Studios”, which is responsible for generating revenue by selling programs and formats to other broadcasters and streaming services, as well as through consumer products such as DVDs and licensed merchandise.

I believe "BBC Studios" also make TV shows themselves, which they sell around the world, and even sell to the BBC. Maybe in a way some could say it’s a bit like the BBC selling to themselves and moving money around within its businesses?

They also generate money from BBC America. And from the BBC YouTube channel, for which thay receive advertising revenue from YouTube.

Last edited:
In the financial year 2020/2021 (April to April), the BBC's total income was £4.9 billion (approximately $6.6 billion USD). Compare that to say Fox News Channel – revenue of $2.7 billion USD. NBC $2.5 billion; CBS $2.3; ABC $1.9 billion; TNT cable channel estimated $1.2 billion; USA Network cable channel $1.1 billion.

The BBC's income comes primarily from the TV licence, but the BBC also has a commercial business called “BBC Studios”, which is responsible for generating revenue by selling programs and formats to other broadcasters and streaming services, as well as through consumer products such as DVDs and licensed merchandise.

I believe "BBC Studios" also make TV shows themselves, which they sell around the world, and even sell to the BBC. Maybe in a way some could say it’s a bit like the BBC selling to themselves and moving money around within its businesses?

They also generate money from BBC America. And from the BBC YouTube channel, for which thay receive advertising revenue from YouTube.
BBC Studioworks ..actually... which is who makes shows such as Eastenders etc..

This isn't the only country in the world that requires a TV licence in every home , altho' this country complains about it the most..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_licence

I think some countries changed how the licence fee is collected -- due to campaigning to abolish their equivalent of the Licence fee. So they raised revenue through a general taxation instead, and financed their national broadcaster that way?

I'm sure I read somewhere that someone sugested aboloishing the Licence Fee & adding it as a tax to an energy bill. Can't remember which country that was.

Last edited:
I think some countries changed how the licence fee is collected -- due to campaigning to abolish their equivalent of the Licence fee. So they raised revenue through a general taxation instead, and financed their national broadcaster that way?

I'm sure I red somewhere that someone sugested aboloishing the Licence Fee & adding it as a tax to an energy bill. Can't remember which country that was.
That's Greece...the pay through their energy Bills..:D...

They used to drive around with "Detector" vans, they could tell
if a TV was on, where it was in the house and the programme
that was being watched.

I have seen the vans, but as to what they actually detected I am
not sure as I never encountered one of the occupants knocking
on my door to tell me, I have a licence to watch TV.

Mike.

My husband passed away 6 years ago and I still get PHONE CALLS from his favourite charities. I tell the caller he is not here and could be reached at the cemetary!!

No it wouldn't be Fraud.. because they're not selling you a TV licence, they are a officials working on behalf of the TV licensing company

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/faqs/FAQ72
Do you pay this in addition to a cable bill or is it one in the same? How much is the licensing?

We have a cable company here that sells their cable service through their office only. They don’t worry if you have a license or not because when you sign up for cable, you must also rent a descrambler for each set that you want to watch tv. You have the option of moving the descrambler from tv to tv, but that’s a pain, so for the $4.00 per month per descrambler it’s easier to rent one for each tv in your home.

Back