Be alert

ronaldj

Yesterday I received a text message from someone saying a package was ordered on my visa card. There was a phone number to call and confirm. Instead, I went to my visa page and nothing had been charged. I checked the text number against the visa number, not the same. I googled the text number, it said it was a spam number. So be careful don’t open text messages unless you know.

Be alert the world need more Nerts.

Yes. I think seniors are good targets, as many of us are trusting. I was almost scammed once several years ago...one of those where I was sent a very large check, told to deposit it, keep a small portion of the money and keep the rest. I showed it to my bank and they called the scam.
Along with the current one where people are asked to send money via Itunes cards. I know it is a scam, and would never fall for it, but I do not understand why the scammer specifically asks for ITunes cards. Anyone know?

This is my rudimentary understanding of the iTunes card scam:

Payment through an iTunes card (or any gift card) is harder to trace than a bank transfer or PayPal, etc. The scammer can then resell the virtual card.

The reason a scammer asks the victim to use a specific kind of card is so they can concentrate on reselling just one kind of card ("Hey everybody, get your iTunes here!") instead of 20 different gift cards.

I just got an e-mail stating that a virus had been installed in mu PC and the person had access to all my accounts. They wanted a modest $1500 in bitcoin to remove it, I deleted the e-mail and then ram Malwarebytes on both our computers-no problem.

This is my rudimentary understanding of the iTunes card scam:

Payment through an iTunes card (or any gift card) is harder to trace than a bank transfer or PayPal, etc. The scammer can then resell the virtual card.

The reason a scammer asks the victim to use a specific kind of card is so they can concentrate on reselling just one kind of card ("Hey everybody, get your iTunes here!") instead of 20 different gift cards.
OK< thanks for the info Sounds about right

My son-in-law is a retired cop who works in cybersecurity, and he says that scams targeting seniors are very common. I got a call from someone who said they were from a medical supply and my doctor wanted me to have a back brace. That made no sense, so I called the doctor's office and they said it's a scam to get my Medicare number so they can bill a bunch of stuff fraudulently. I also get calls saying some high-dollar item is being charged to my Amazon account if I don't call right away.

If these people would invest the energy they waste dreaming up scams into something positive, the world would be a better place.

security,

Yesterday I received a text message from someone saying a package was ordered on my visa card. There was a phone number to call and confirm. Instead, I went to my visa page and nothing had been charged. I checked the text number against the visa number, not the same. I googled the text number, it said it was a spam number. So be careful don’t open text messages unless you know.

I actually saw something like that on youtube, and is seems most of the emails and call are from india.

Yes I've gotten a couple of texts lately that I suspected were spam but didn't open them. One appeared to come from Amazon and probably did but I deleted it. Later I found that I'd gotten an email from Amazon alerting me that someone had signed in using a Mac OS. That was me, so I figured that's probably what the text was about. It's always best to check a bank or other entity's site when being alerted about an alleged fraud. It's good you're savvy about spams.

Back