Beautiful Antique or Ugly Furniture

Gary's right

iu

Was that your mothers? My parents had one very much like that. I agree, the alphabet generations would not like it, it is kind of old fashioned, and probably heavy.
I have my mom's old cedar chest, it is 80 years old, give or take a year. I asked my niece if she wanted it, figuring she would say no. But, surprisingly she said she wanted it

Meh! 😏
It doesn’t do anything for me. Being a woodworker myself, I have incredible appreciation for fine woodworking. Something made with skill and attention to detail speaks to the very soul once viewed. The Mennonites handcraft some incredible furniture.

That piece is just blah 😬 in my opinion.

At one time, I would have liked it very much but my tastes have changed over time. Most of my furniture now as well as my kitchen and bathroom cabinets have been made by local Amish craftsmen. Simple lines, solid construction, impeccable workmanship.

Very similar to my bedroom suite which I have had for over 60 years.
Both it and my dining room set were made by a Canadian company
and the drawers are all dove tailed. The wood is mahogany and solid.
It will probably end up in a second hand store as no one wants it to-day.

Very similar to my bedroom suite which I have had for over 60 years.
Both it and my dining room set were made by a Canadian company
and the drawers are all dove tailed. The wood is mahogany and solid.
It will probably end up in a second hand store as no one wants it to-day.

You're probably right. nobody in our family is the least bit interested in ours either. I love mahogany furniture and people today look at you like you're speaking a foreign language when you start talking dove tailed joints. :( Besides the living room set, we also have a bedroom set. Mine still have the cut to shape glass tops. (y)

Attachments

• DSC02443.JPG
    DSC02443.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC02444.JPG
    DSC02444.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 8
I love things like that! The things I don't love are the tables, chairs, headboards/footboards with spindly and ornate legs. They're pretty to look at but much too impractical for me, just something else to dust.

Back