Begging has become normal now.

My physically-present beggars stand by the outer road entrance/exit to my Walmart at least 50% of the time, usually with hand-made signs and often with dogs, counting on the traffic signals to stop people. They limit their individual presence so that they are gone by the time a police patrol comes by. Some are legitimate, while others have been seen to depart in rather nice vehicles…

Beggars in my near-by cities are more disconcerting as they are more aggressive, congregate near tourist attractions, and will come right up to you vocally seeking money…

I try to follow the Biblical directive to give to the poor, it's figuring out exactly who the poor is that's hard. I don't think most of the truly poor have computers and "Go Fund Me" sites.

I do know that a huge percentage of the homeless and hungry are suffering from extreme mental illness so most of my charity money goes to schizophrenia research.

A good place to research how much money goes to the cause verses the administration of the charity is Charity Navigator.

Back about 10 years ago there was a story in the local newspaper about all the beggars appearing at the exit drives of local stores. It was discovered they were all part of an organization being run by a guy and his wife. The couple basically controlled specific corners and assigned their beggars to a location. Essentially pimping them out and keeping the bulk of their take.

I'm not sure if something like that is still going on but notice the same beggars are always in the same locations so have to believe somehow the prime locations are protected.

Back