Big Pharma's Philosophy - Treat the Symptoms Rather Than the Issue...

Lotsa reductive thinking in this comment, Buckeye.
Nice try at deflection, but my point is valid and it still stands. If you have such a huge mistrust of the medical community and big pharma, just quit supporting them and go to your trusted alternative sources. Hint - reread post 1 and your post 2

Last edited:
...Problem is that may not leave us with many people to vote for.

Sanders or Trump for president, lol! This is meant is a joke, because they really both have been strong critics of Big Pharma regardless of all their other differences. Status quo politicians--they're the problem and are the majority so reform is not likely.

Nice try at deflection, but my point is valid and it still stands. If you have such a huge mistrust of the medical community and big pharma, just quit supporting them and go to your trusted alternative sources. Hint - reread post 1 and your post 2
I don't discount the entire medical field because of some bad players and corruption. And I see absolutely nothing wrong with calling out the corruption.

The whole US healthcare system is a crazy patchwork put together during WWII. Companies couldn't always raise wages so they offered health insurance as a benefit. Over time, companies became responsible for their workers' healthcare. That makes no sense at all.

Entrenched interests including insurance companies and doctors want things to stay pretty much the way they are.

The pharma and biotech companies wouldn't develop new drugs if they couldn't make a profit. It takes billions of dollars to develop compounds and run clinical trials, and billions more to manufacture and distribute. But the pharma companies also abuse their rights and privileges via unethical marketing practices.

I don't have an answer, just pointing out that there are no easy fixes. We want top quality healthcare, innovative drugs, and extended end-of-life care for all. Getting there will require stepping on a lot of toes.

The whole US healthcare system is a crazy patchwork put together during WWII. Companies couldn't always raise wages so they offered health insurance as a benefit. Over time, companies became responsible for their workers' healthcare. That makes no sense at all.

Entrenched interests including insurance companies and doctors want things to stay pretty much the way they are.

The pharma and biotech companies wouldn't develop new drugs if they couldn't make a profit. It takes billions of dollars to develop compounds and run clinical trials, and billions more to manufacture and distribute. But the pharma companies also abuse their rights and privileges via unethical marketing practices.

I don't have an answer, just pointing out that there are no easy fixes. We want top quality healthcare, innovative drugs, and extended end-of-life care for all. Getting there will require stepping on a lot of toes.
Good post Jim Bob, a very rational view of our health care system, and it's problems.

I do believe we have the best health care, for those who can afford it, anywhere in the world. And the best in history. Not that it couldn't be better, but we don't want to upset the apple cart whilst trying to make it better. Wish I had the answers...

As I age I am becoming more aware of the benefits to me personally. I had always been lucky with respect to health things, no major illnesses or problems. Except for a couple of minor accidents I had not been in the hospital at all until last year, age 68. Since then I have had prostate and hernia surgery, and now have another surgery scheduled for my thumb/hand arthritis. Makes me think about it from a personal level more...

I don't discount the entire medical field because of some bad players and corruption. And I see absolutely nothing wrong with calling out the corruption.
But in post #1, which you gave an "amen" to in post #2, you did effectively call out the entire medical field without qualification.

Sorry, but you can't unsay what you said earlier.

But in post #1, which you gave an "amen" to in post #2, you did effectively call out the entire medical field without qualification.

Sorry, but you can't unsay what you said earlier.
How do you interpret my (y) to mean that I effectively called out the entire medical field without qualification? Isn't the statement "A patient cured is a patient lost" referring to Big Pharma?

I believe so.

Excellent points and posts. Especially offering benefits in lieu of higher pay. That scenario has played out in many a business or job. The employees not only get used to company provided or discounted insurance they get used to someone else doing the research and shopping for them. Many don't learn that necessity until our age. And yes big insurance and pharma have exploited 'group' plans because they know a government or business is paying for individual health insurance. Somebody else is paying for syndrome.

Back