Birthday Party Turns Deadly: Drunk 66 Year Old Driver Kills 2 Siblings, Injures Several

OneEyedDiva

SF VIP
This story is so very tragic and heartbreaking! I can't even imagine the terrible agony the parents of those two children, aged 5 and 8, are going through. Several other people including other children sustained life threatening and serious injuries. Why people think it's alright to get behind the wheel when they are drunk or even tipsy is beyond me. Heartfelt condolences to the little siblings' family and my heart also goes out to those who were injured and their families. May those children Rest in Paradise.

This horrific incident will probably leave those who were victims and witnesses traumatized for life. If the driver has any kind of heart she will be plagued with guilt for the rest of her life, which hopefully will be spent behind bars.
2 young siblings killed, several people hurt when suspected drunk driver crashes into Michigan birthday party, officials say

I had just finished reading a book that was centered around slavery during the American Revolution. That led me to thinking about the Holocaust. I wondered why God (if there is one) would allow that to happen. Then I read about that horrifying birthday party situation in the news, and I just had to stop thinking. I know it isn't on the same scale, but it still makes me wonder why this God would allow that to happen.

It also makes me wonder why it would be this God's will (as so many people have said to me about something awful happening), or God's punishment of so called "bad people" who are not evil or bad at all, or how now the dead are in a better place, or how now the living tortured people are going be fine if they allow it to strengthen their faith.

I, like you, hope the children are in Paradise. But everyone else there, especially their family, are in a living hell.

I had just finished reading a book that was centered around slavery during the American Revolution. That led me to thinking about the Holocaust. I wondered why God (if there is one) would allow that to happen. Then I read about that horrifying birthday party situation in the news, and I just had to stop thinking. I know it isn't on the same scale, but it still makes me wonder why this God would allow that to happen.

It also makes me wonder why it would be this God's will (as so many people have said to me about something awful happening), or God's punishment of so called "bad people" who are not evil or bad at all, or how now the dead are in a better place, or how now the living tortured people are going be fine if they allow it to strengthen their faith.

I, like you, hope the children are in Paradise. But everyone else there, especially their family, are in a living hell.
Wheatenlover, I wonder the same things as you. I was raised in a devout Christian family that never missed church and I had to go to Sunday school before church services began. I accepted Islam in my late 40s but I was a Christian for more than half my life. My experiences as a Christian then Muslim focused on the belief in God, who the faithful believe created heaven, earth and humans. Although I sometimes question why God would allow these terrible things to happen, especially to innocent children and good people, I have not scorned Him and I hold on to my faith. And sometimes it seems the good people suffer more tragedies than the evil ones!

The DRUNK driver freaked up bad, no comebacks from this no matter what tears and apologies she may produce in a courtroom.

Scary part is this was probably not the first time she drove drunk or this drunk. I heard estimates by the time a drunk driver is caught they've done it upwards of 100 times. Her buzz was more important that other people's safety.

No mercy come sentencing, she had a half century to get her act together and she FAILED miserably. Those children would've done alot more with the next 50 years than she could've even dreamed of.

The DRUNK driver freaked up bad, no comebacks from this no matter what tears and apologies she may produce in a courtroom.

Scary part is this was probably not the first time she drove drunk or this drunk. I heard estimates by the time a drunk driver is caught they've done it upwards of 100 times. Her buzz was more important that other people's safety.

No mercy come sentencing, she had a half century to get her act together and she FAILED miserably. Those children would've done alot more with the next 50 years than she could've even dreamed of.
I totally agree.

Wheatenlover, I wonder the same things as you. I was raised in a devout Christian family that never missed church and I had to go to Sunday school before church services began. I accepted Islam in my late 40s but I was a Christian for more than half my life. My experiences as a Christian then Muslim focused on the belief in God, who the faithful believe created heaven, earth and humans. Although I sometimes question why God would allow these terrible things to happen, especially to innocent children and good people, I have not scorned Him and I hold on to my faith. And sometimes it seems the good people suffer more tragedies than the evil ones!
I was a Christian for a few decades. Then one day, I woke up and realized that I am an atheist. Lately I have been an agnostic from time to time, but not right now. I think my questions are valid ones, considering how God is presented.

I agree with Davey. I don't look at things like this and ask why God allowed it, we aren't figures in a Fisher Price Play-Family Village and God isn't a big kid moving us around. He created us, and then gave us free will. Free to get drunk like the driver or save lives like the first responders at the scene. I've never understood the "God has a plan for us and everything happens for a reason," philosophy, although many people do. Maybe I just can't get my head around it. I think he can help us deal with life through prayer and grace, but he's not going to take the wheel of our car when we drive it over a cliff.

Regarding this woman who "crashed 25 feet into the building." What the heck happened? Was she on a road above it and flew through the roof of the building? Lots of this is just terrible luck, but drunk at 3 in the afternoon? Wow.

I have no pity for that 66 year old woman. She knew getting behind the wheel would not only put her life in danger, but many others also. Drunks just don't care about anyone else but themselves. May she rot in prison for the rest of her miserable life. :mad:

In the book of Genesis you will find a statement where God supposedly says " I will give you free will"....................if this is true so many amazing experiences have occurred and bad ones too like the one above?
That’s exactly right. We have free will to choose our own actions and at times we choose wrong. It has nothing to do with God.

I never understood why people drink and drive. Just take a cab home. So many people’s lives are ruined. She’ll spend the rest of her life in prison but it won’t bring the kids back.

I never understood why people drink and drive. Just take a cab home. So many people’s lives are ruined. She’ll spend the rest of her life in prison but it won’t bring the kids back.
Those so called adults are already seeking chemical intoxication out in public which says something right there.

I hope the suspect realizes what she did and won't come back every single day of her remaining time in existence.

I agree with Davey. I don't look at things like this and ask why God allowed it, we aren't figures in a Fisher Price Play-Family Village and God isn't a big kid moving us around. He created us, and then gave us free will. Free to get drunk like the driver or save lives like the first responders at the scene. I've never understood the "God has a plan for us and everything happens for a reason," philosophy, although many people do. Maybe I just can't get my head around it. I think he can help us deal with life through prayer and grace, but he's not going to take the wheel of our car when we drive it over a cliff.

Regarding this woman who "crashed 25 feet into the building." What the heck happened? Was she on a road above it and flew through the roof of the building? Lots of this is just terrible luck, but drunk at 3 in the afternoon? Wow.
If you watch the video in the linked article it shows what happened. She was speeding and sped straight into the building. And isn't the fact that God gave man free will the reason Lucifer got jealous and wound up being cast out?
@davey

Why haven't they released the name of the drunk driver?
Did they do toxicology tests to see if drunk and not having a medical condition?
Maybe not releasing the name until test results are in?
Speeding and running through a building ... passed out drunk, on the phone, medical event?

Knowing this - - - why do NORMAL people continue to suck down the booze before driving home or wherever they're heading. Are people really this stupid?
The alcohol creates the illusion that the drinker has "got it under control".

One of the guys at the VFW offered to serve me something from the bar, I told him I didn't like taking chances with drinking & driving. He said he drinks and drives all the time...:rolleyes:

The alcohol creates the illusion that the drinker has "got it under control".

One of the guys at the VFW offered to serve me something from the bar, I told him I didn't like taking chances with drinking & driving. He said he drinks and drives all the time...:rolleyes:
yes. This woman may have done it dozens of times and nothing happened. I've heard people say they drive better when they're drunk because they go slower and pay more attention. Of course they're wrong and have no idea how much their reflexes and vision are impaired.

I watched the video and it shows her speeding and then she goes off camera before hitting anything, I thought maybe she went over the edge of something. In any case she was going way too fast for the area.

Back