Books! How do you read and what do you read?

Thank you all for the suggestions. I just ordered 5 new books from Thriftbooks for less than $25. I would do the local library but the library is closed for covid and it is a little library. They have to order out for a lot of book requests.

@JimBob1952
Karl Ove Knausgaard. Never heard of him so looked him up. My, my he looks like a self-satisfied, arrogant jerk, smug. That's just looking at his picture, I still know nothing about him or why he is famous. Also, looks can be deceiving, but I have a feeling I'm right. Somebody set me straight.

Well, that's the impression I got about 60 pages into Book 1. Mind you this is a six-part "novel" whose hero is named, you guessed it, Karl Ove Knausgaard.

I'm stalled out so instead I'm reading a book called The Man Eaters of Tsavo.

I am reading "The Room Where It Happened " by John Bolton and "tiny beautiful things" by Cheryl Strayed. Very different books but I am enjoying them both.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I just ordered 5 new books from Thriftbooks for less than $25. I would do the local library but the library is closed for covid and it is a little library. They have to order out for a lot of book requests.
You might wish to consider audio books. Most libraries still allow you to download them. It’s not the same as reading a book but sometimes it’s nice listening to a book while you’re doing something else. Not always, but sometimes.

I prefer printed books. Never got used to reading on Kindle, or listening to Audio books. Lately I have resumed my interest in the Chicken Soup for the Soul series. I like that each little story is self contained and I can pick up a book, read a story or three, and not pick it up again for several weeks. Just bought two new ones. The Magic of Cats and Age is just a Number. Just got them over the weekend, have not started them yet.

Reading is a pleasant past time. There are so many great books to read.
What are some of your favourite books you have read and what do you use to read them?
perhaps an ireader or a kindle? Or maybe you prefer listening to them.

These are great for reading with since you can:
-load as many books as you want to
-adjust the letter size
-read at night without needing to turn on a light so you don’t disturb others.

At at the moment I am reading ‘The Secret Life of Bees’ by Sue Monk Kidd
which is extraordinarily written.

What are you reading right now and what great books can you suggest to the rest of us?

I started my reading life losing myself in Enid Blyton books...I really wanted to live in the Faraway Tree! Then I graduated to books by Russian writers, starting with Family Happiness by leo tolstoy and White Nights by Fyodor Dostoevsky. I am actually one of those strange people who's read War and Peace.

I love reading and it would take a year and a day to list the titles. I also love books by Australian writer Bryce Courtenay. Right now I'm reading Sanctus by Simon Toyne, a British writer.

I wish I had been more of an adventurous reader as I would have liked Enid Blyton books as a kid but for some reason I was stuck on reading Nancy Drew mysteries or the Hardy boys. Funny enough I really like books about imagination & adventure.

I love Chicken Soup for the Soul. Unfortunately these days I can’t stay focussed on anything.

I have a kindle but I prefer the printed version also. When I was a kid my mother would drop us off at the library while she grocery shopped. It was my favorite thing to do during the summer. Loved going back to school so I could spend time in the library!

I prefer printed books. Never got used to reading on Kindle, or listening to Audio books. Lately I have resumed my interest in the Chicken Soup for the Soul series. I like that each little story is self contained and I can pick up a book, read a story or three, and not pick it up again for several weeks. Just bought two new ones. The Magic of Cats and Age is just a Number. Just got them over the weekend, have not started them yet.
Hi Marie,I'm with you,prefer printed books,no desire to read with a Nook or Kindle
Yrs ago,I enjoyed reading the 'Chicken Soup for the Soul' books as well Sue

You might wish to consider audio books. Most libraries still allow you to download them. It’s not the same as reading a book but sometimes it’s nice listening to a book while you’re doing something else. Not always, but sometimes.
Thanks Keesha! I have been a "book worm" since a very young age and like to hold the book in my hands. I have done audio books in the past while driving long distance and also at times when reading the Bible and trying to make notes.

I was an old tennis fan and I just finished Jimmy Connors Memoir. Very interesting. He loved tennis unlike several of the players of old who were bullied by their parents into performing. Good reading and quite amusing in many spots.

Two of my favorite authors are Carl Hiaasen and Stephen King. Cannot get enough of their excellent writing.
I much prefer holding a book in my hot little hands than scrolling through electronic pages.
Many, many years ago I decided to read classic horror stories on Halloween. Eventually I ran out of good books and had to quit the hobby.
Its difficult finding something worth reading. If it doesn't grab me early on I'm done.
Dare I say I bought a bunch of the orange slime books and was so disgusted I stopped reading. And I do mean Disgusted! 🤢🤮🤧😡

I said the same thing about "real books", until my wife got a Nook. I then realized it could also access the Internet, among other things.
I bought a Kindle Fire, and never looked back. It was a godsend on our 32 day cruise with many sea days. we could sit on our balcony and read in comfort. Also, pre Kindle, I would buy hardcover books, read them once and donate them to the library. They were very expensive, but getting them on the Kindle was much less expensive.
Another thing I like, is being on the mailing list of my favorite authors, so I can preorder their new books.

I have requested the first book "Faceless Killers" A Mystery. I will see how it goes as I don't usually read mystery novels. Thanks for the suggestion Pinky.
It was the first Henning Menkel novel I read. The one I just finished was "The Fifth Woman". Now I'm hooked and have a long list of his books for the library.

My hubby has read all his books, and watched the Wallander series .. but I don't generally watch a series if I read the books, as I'm often disappointed.

I hope you enjoy "Faceless Killers". Some people find Nordic noir "too dark".

The book I'm about to start is "Daisy Fay and The Miracle Man' by Fannie Flagg which is her debut novel, was orginally published as'Coming Attractions'.The story is about Daisy Fay Harper who lives in Shell Beach,Miss and her time growing up there
I've read a couple other books by Flagg,love her sense of humor,good writer

Just finished The Hospital: Life, Death and Dollars in a Small American Town by Brian Alexander; very good but I think I liked his Glass House: The 1% Economy and the Shattering of the All-American Town even better (both very good though).

In my last post,I said I was reading Fannie Flagg's 1st book'Daisy Fay& The Miracle Man'.
I just couldn't get into it,took it downstairs in the basement where we have a community library,there are alot of books to choose from
I've started to read "Moscow Rules" by Daniel Silvia,never read any of his books.I do like to read espionage& intrigue books hopefully this will be worth reading

Just picked up "Where The Crawdad's Sing" by Delia Owens.
Finished "The Chestnut Man by Soren Sveistrup, this morning. It was excellent, though somewhat gruesome.

Waiting on a long list of Henning Mankel novels. I guess I won't be able to read them in chronological order .. his personal life is a mess ..

Just picked up "Where The Crawdad's Sing" by Delia Owens.
Finished "The Chestnut Man by Soren Sveistrup, this morning. It was excellent, though somewhat gruesome.

Waiting on a long list of Henning Mankel novels. I guess I won't be able to read them in chronological order .. his personal life is a mess ..
Hi Pinky,I'll be interested in what you thought about'Where The Crawdad's Sing' I had heard so much about the book before I bought it.I couldn't put it down Sue

Hi Pinky,I'll be interested in what you thought about'Where The Crawdad's Sing' I had heard so much about the book before I bought it.I couldn't put it down Sue
@moviequeen1
I started it last night, am half-way through and can't put it down!

edit: Just finished it. Must say it is very compelling, and one of the best books I've read. I won't say more in case anyone else here plans to read it.

Last edited:
Strangely, I haven't read "Where the Crawdads Sing" yet. I am an avid reader, but somehow keep passing this one by.
I have recently read Catherine Ryan Hyde newest "My Name Is Anton", couldn't put it down. Went back to the library and just read her "Take Me With You", same emotional read. I now have a third one to try. If you enjoy "why people are who they are" reads, try this author.

I absolutely love Catherine Ryan Hyde! Hard to choose a favorite one of hers, they're all so good but one that especially stands out is Have You Seen Luis Velez?; wow is it good!

Back