Books! How do you read and what do you read?

I just finished They Want to Kill Americans : The Militias, Terrorists, and Deranged Ideology of the Trump Insurgency, by Malcolm Nance.

It's mainly about the QAnon cult. Fascinating stuff, if you're into that kind of thing.

Author John Cheever.

A collection of short stories. Cheever writes about love, money, infidelity, and honor. The stories take place in America, 1940's ish. Everyone is always getting tipsy on booze.

There always seems to be a moral to the story.

Usually it's a wealthy couple whose husband commutes to the city.

Reminds me of John Updike. But I like Cheever better.

I finished reading 'A Line to Kill by Anthony Horowitz very entertaining mystery 'who done it'
I had never read any book by this author before, I like the way he writes

LIFE ON THE MISSISSIPPI by Rinker Buck,,, An epic American Adventure.

The author of this book takes on the journey down to the Mississippi in an hand built flatboat.
His life on the river includes stories of the first travelers using the river .

Guess I enojyed it because at one time our sons talked about canoeing from Warren PA to Pittsburgh PA.

The book I'm reading now is from another favorite author,Tami Hoag' who writes terrific mystery/thrillers
"The Boy' is about the murder of a 7yr old boy, KJ in Louisana The husband/wife team of detective, Nick Fourcade,Annie Broussard are on the case trying to find out what happen.
I started the book 2 days ago,its long 603 pgs am half way through,can't put it down

As a Nicholas Sparks reader, I look forward to his new books. Just out, Dreamland, I have just finished it. Very disappointed, as it is a drudge to get through. Nothing like his other reads. I closed the book and couldn't wait to return it to the library.

I have a Kindle, actually the third one I have owned. I have a number of favorite authors
Cap Daniels
Mark Nolan
Don Rich
J C Ryan
Douglas Pratt
Todd Borg
Hope Callaghan
Alec Peche
Wayne Stinett

TREASURE STATE By C.J.Box a good mystery.
Private investigator tracks another missing person only to find her self in trouble.

GIRL WHO SURVIVED by Lisa Jackson

Girl who was hidden away by her sister, to keep her safe.
Comes out of where she was hidden to discover her family stabbed to death.
The memories of it follows her into adult hood.

I read The Chancellor, by Kati Marton. It is a fascinating biography of Angela Merkel. I could not put it down!

There were a lot of reasons I liked the book so much, some of them personal to me. My mother was raised in East Germany, my relatives still live there, and I am familiar with what life was like under the Russians. Plus, I remember my visit to Leipzig in 1965. Even though I was only 8 years old I remember the men with guns, being cautioned mightily about not speaking English outside my Oma's house. This visit was an unusual. The Red Cross was ready at the border in case my mother was arrested, so we would be returned to our father, who was stationed in Ramstein.

Otherwise, I learned a lot of things I didn't know, not only about Merkel's career, but also about the times in which she lived and worked. Overall, Merkel is a fascinating person, living through fascinating times.

Well I finally took the big step of buying a Kindle Paperwhite. We live in a 110 year old warehouse in which my wife does her artwork and we make our home. The downside is the poor archival conditions for storing books. Beyond that I’m just tired of having them around. I’m resolved is to get almost all my reading material through the library. With my post retirement conversion to fiction the library has been he way to go.

Before that my three favorite nonfiction books were:

Guns, Germs and Steel
The Righteous Mind
The Master and His Emissary

So about a year ago the author of the last book, Iain McGilchrist, came out with a new book, The Matter with Things, in two volumes totaling 1500 pages.
But with my increasingly painful and weak arthritic hands I knew I’d never be able to hold it up to read in bed. So I got the Kindle.

I’m loving the Kindle and think Iain’s new book is even better than the last. But when the thirst for more fiction arises and it will, I will look to get it on Kindle too.

Some books novels I’ve read and liked a lot:

All The Light We Cannot See
Cider House Rules
The World According To Garp
A Prayer For Owen Meany
Sea of Poppies and other books in series
A Thousand Splendid Suns
The Kite Runner
An Unnecessary Woman
A Gentleman In Moscow
Cutting For Stone

Those jump to mind first but there are others I liked that I dot recall now. I also liked the Robert Pirsig novels,
lots by Anne Tyler, some Elizabeth Strout
and some Tom Robbins.

Well I finally took the big step of buying a Kindle Paperwhite. We live in a 110 year old warehouse in which my wife does her artwork and we make our home. The downside is the poor archival conditions for storing books. Beyond that I’m just tired of having them around. I’m resolved is to get almost all my reading material through the library. With my post retirement conversion to fiction the library has been he way to go.

Before that my three favorite nonfiction books were:

Guns, Germs and Steel
The Righteous Mind
The Master and His Emissary

So about a year ago the author of the last book, Iain McGilchrist, came out with a new book, The Matter with Things, in two volumes totaling 1500 pages.
But with my increasingly painful and weak arthritic hands I knew I’d never be able to hold it up to read in bed. So I got the Kindle.

I’m loving the Kindle and think Iain’s new book is even better than the last. But when the thirst for more fiction arises and it will, I will look to get it on Kindle too.

Some books novels I’ve read and liked a lot:

All The Light We Cannot See
Cider House Rules
The World According To Garp
A Prayer For Owen Meany
Sea of Poppies and other books in series
A Thousand Splendid Suns
The Kite Runner
An Unnecessary Woman
A Gentleman In Moscow
Cutting For Stone

Those jump to mind first but there are others I liked that I dot recall now. I also liked the Robert Pirsig novels,
lots by Anne Tyler, some Elizabeth Strout
and some Tom Robbins.
Great list Mark! I think I've read and enjoyed most of those, I liked "A Gentleman in Moscow" but was a little disappointed because I had thought his "Rules of Civility," was one of the best books I ever read.
Anne Tyler is one of my very favorites.

Great list Mark! I think I've read and enjoyed most of those, I liked "A Gentleman in Moscow" but was a little disappointed because I had thought his "Rules of Civility," was one of the best books I ever read.
Anne Tyler is one of my very favorites.
Thanks for the tip. Rules of Civility shall be next. I’ve been needing a good novel.

Oh and I agree A Gentleman in Moscow is probably the weakest book on the list. A good adventure but no real depth. Like The Count of Monte Cristo but less over the top.

Last edited:
A couple of years ago I discovered Joe Abercrombie and read everything. He's got a new one out as the last in one of his series. The Wisdom of Crowds. I'm a quarter of the way through and loving it. On the iPhone Kindle App :)

Yesterday started reading 'Night Music' by Jo Jo Moyes,story of Isabelle Delancy a classically trained violinist married with 2 kids leading comfortable life in London. Her husband suddenly dies leaving her with alot of debt. She and her kids, Kitty,Thierry move to a run down house in English countryside she inherited from a distant relative. I'm enjoying it have read a couple of the author's other books

Back