Books! How do you read and what do you read?

THE WEDDING THIEF by Mary Simses

About 2 sisters who think they are in love with the same man.

The younger sister plans her wedding while her older sister plans on changing it .
Amusing way of things turn for the better.

I needed a light hearted read from the book I'm working through,, MADNESS. by Antonia Hylton.
Which is about insanity & race at Crownsville State Hospital.

Right now it's two books. One is I Declare by Ron Walker, retired Canadian customs inspector who served for decades at an entry point along a highway crossing of the US/Canad border. He tells the inside story of the profession and relates countless fascinating incidents. Lots of amusement in the details, sometimes he's had me in stitches.

The Other is The Man Without Talent, a Japanese graphic novel with translated dialogue balloons. The author is Yoshiharu Tsuge, one of the most famous graphic novelists who wrote & drew for adults, rather than teenagers. Fascinating, partly because of the strikingly different cultural world (1970s-80s Japan).

I'm re-reading Moby Dick- first time in eons. I'm taking it really slow this time and savoring the language and Melville's crazy digressions from the story. It's epic. It's not like anything else and I absolutely love it. I'm living in Melville country these days and am planning many Melville themed outings in the near future. We go whale watching a lot (there are so many in the summer in these parts) and I'll get to feel like Ahab on the boat, except the only thing I'll be shooting whales with will be my camera.

MADNESS by Antonia Hylton

Based on one of the first insanity asylums.
Crownsville is located Baltimore, Maryland
Started by a doctor in Maryland, who bought 12 Black men to start clearing the land, building shelters.
The year was 1911.

It would grow to be much larger & become over crowed.
Those that were able to work were put to clearing fields,planting crops.
When women were admitted, they too worked, cooking , cleaning .

This is a book that reviles , the good , bad & ugly of asylums.

Don't expect it to end with more & better help for the mentally ill.
As humans we are still learning what is considered to be mental illness?

Reading is a pleasant past time. There are so many great books to read.
What are some of your favourite books you have read and what do you use to read them?
perhaps an ireader or a kindle? Or maybe you prefer listening to them.

These are great for reading with since you can:
-load as many books as you want to
-adjust the letter size
-read at night without needing to turn on a light so you don’t disturb others.

At at the moment I am reading ‘The Secret Life of Bees’ by Sue Monk Kidd
which is extraordinarily written.

What are you reading right now and what great books can you suggest to the rest of us?
Hello Keesha. I prefer actual books. I don't care for quite that much screen time like I would have with a Kindle. I also don't possess a Kindle. I read a variety of books. It depends on what I'm in the mood for.

I’m reading ‘The Bible Made Easy for kids!!!
By Dave Strehler

I really like it. It’s like the Bible in laymen’s terms. This is going to sound really corny but I feel like reading it is giving me strength. That believing in something greater than myself is REALLY transforming or can be . I think having faith in yourself and something grander than self is powerful stuff. Reading over cognitive therapy books can only go so far.
This is like magic. I feel so hooked up to my Source!!!

RANDOM IN DEATH by J.D. Robb

A mystery as to why someone is sticking young teen age girls with a chemical cocktail that kills them.
Well written to keep you guessing about who it & why.
Hi Silverfox, I have read all of JD Robb's 'In Death' books,love them. I like the way she writes, at times with humor, has the same characters in each book. I esp enjoy the interactions between Eve &Summerset, their love/hate relationship I haven't read Random look forward to it.
When I first started reading the books back in 1999, didn't realize at first 'Robb' was an alias for romance writer, Nora Roberts Sue

Preston & Child

"The Cabinet of Dr. Leng"

Well, for bang for the buck, these guys are the very best in detailed thrillers, never predictable and way above anyone else I've ever read. They've written many best selling books - we have them all - but honestly think this is the latest and best one yet and heartily recommend it. They have an absolutely fascinating character "Pendergast" that is really someone you'd love to invite for dinner.

Preston & Child

"The Cabinet of Dr. Leng"

Well, for bang for the buck, these guys are the very best in detailed thrillers, never predictable and way above anyone else I've ever read. They've written many best selling books - we have them all - but honestly think this is the latest and best one yet and heartily recommend it. They have an absolutely fascinating character "Pendergast" that is really someone you'd love to invite for dinner.
You'd need to be very selective about the menu, though. He has some unusual tastes :) I was a huge fan of P&C's Pendy series until they seemed to derail and put Pendy in white linen suits and panama hats. The situation with Constance seemed to irritate me and I lost interest. The first 10 (?) books in the series was so much fun. It was creepy and bazaar but just a good mystery with Pendy being his unorthodox self. Then, it changed. I haven't read anything since the tennis shoes washing up on the beach. Really?

Thrillers make me so anxious that I rarely read them. How do you keep them from unnerving you, @Colleen and @Liberty?
If thrillers and mysteries make you anxious or upset, don't read them :) I can skim read over parts that I feel will be in too much detail for my sensibilities, but, for the most part, I've been a mystery reader for a long time and I don't get upset. If I see that a story is heading in a direction I'd rather not go in, I put that book in the DNF pile. I read synopses of books before I get them. I don't like gore and extreme violence so I don't read any of those type of mysteries. I don't really care for "cozy" mysteries, either. I need more substance. I guess I'm very selective.

If thrillers and mysteries make you anxious or upset, don't read them :) I can skim read over parts that I feel will be in too much detail for my sensibilities, but, for the most part, I've been a mystery reader for a long time and I don't get upset. If I see that a story is heading in a direction I'd rather not go in, I put that book in the DNF pile. I read synopses of books before I get them. I don't like gore and extreme violence so I don't read any of those type of mysteries. I don't really care for "cozy" mysteries, either. I need more substance. I guess I'm very selective.
Good advice, thanks. Only within the past 15 years-ish have I given myself permission to quit on books I find poorly written, boring, or to have subject matter/plots that disturb me. It's very freeing, isn't it?

I'm currently reading a British detective series by Louisa Scarr (Butler and West) and enjoying it very much. When I'm finished with that I'm continuing the Inspector Gamache series by Louise Penny. I recently watched on Netflix (I think) the first 3 series called Three Pines with Alfred Molina. I wish it wouldn't have been cancelled. It was excellent.

Good advice, thanks. Only within the past 15 years-ish have I given myself permission to quit on books I find poorly written, boring, or to have subject matter/plots that disturb me. It's very freeing, isn't it?
Yes, it is. Why waste precious time on a book that just doesn't hold your interest or whatever the case may be? Too many other books out there to explore :)

I do that same thing.

Back