Bought a pair of "studs" for my shoes

Marie5656

I was not exactly sure where to put this, but I felt "health and well being" works, as it is a safety thing. On the advice of a friend, I bought a set of "Cramp-On" studded grips for my shoes. To be worn outdoors. They are marketed for hiking, but I think also suggested for people who walk outdoors in everyday winter/ice conditions.
I had mentioned that with my balance issues, and past falls, I felt even more uneasy walking outside in the ice and snow, and the friend suggested these. I ordered them from Amazon, and they came today. They were pretty easy to put on the shoes. Felt kind of odd when walking inside, but not so much when I went out. I had a but more touch up shoveling to do, and wanted to clean off my car as I am going out tomorrow,
They seemed to grip OK, and I did not feel uneasy, though if I were taking a longer walk, I would probably still use my cane as well. I have taken over my husband's quad cane..it has four "feet" rather than just the single one.
I will have to wear them more to see what I think.

b7d5a40a-8d74-401d-b649-5ee8f98b1e30_1.fe5dc80b245355321aa3582d7264d0d3.jpg

Those sound good to try out, Marie. There are probably different types. The mail carriers have some, to strap onto their winter footwear.

In addition, or instead, I have an metal attachment that easily goes onto the bottom end of any cane, that grips very well in ice or snow.
Though you have a 4-prong one, so maybe not on that one.

I don't remember where mine was bought, for your info or anyone else's, that wants one for a regular cane.

Thanks for posting about these Marie, they sell similar things in Walmart and even in the supermarkets, and I was thinking of getting a pair. We've already had a couple of snow storms, but ice under the snow is the worst. I walk with my dog at the park almost every day in winter, so I would have to walk to the car, drive to the park....so I also wondered about driving with them and figured it wouldn't be safe.

So, I would have to put them on my shoes while I'm in the car before starting the walk, and I'd be putting them on over shoes that were already wet and snowy, wondered about that too.

I guess just for shoveling the sidewalk, walkway and driveway...or a walk in the neighborhood they'd be perfect. Do they come in sizes for men and women, are they adjustable? I wear mens shoes anyway, so I'd buy the man model if there is one, bigger and wider.

I think the type the mail carriers use, they do drive with them,

and they do not take them on and off, every time they get in and out of the vehicles, and their shoes are already wet and snowy, etc!

They might be called Spikey's or something like that.

I just bought a pair of these Duenorth traction aids at Walmart today for $13.98. From the looks of them Marie, I think yours are a higher quality. I walked in the yard with them, but the snow is pretty deep and I didn't touch any of the ice underneath. There's ice in my front driveway, but I was burned out already from shopping and I didn't want to go out front. Maybe I'll put them on when I get the morning paper.

DueNorth-Traction-Aids-Ice-Snow-LRG-XLG-Everyday.jpg

@SeaBreeze we had a day long mix of rain/ice mix today. I put mine on to clear off the ramp, and go down and defrost the car, as we are getting more snow overnight. I had about an inch of the mix, and mine seemed to work well, and gave me a comfortable grip. I am not sure mine would even work on a lot of snow, but I guess I will find out tomorrow. I am impressed, and plan to give them a good review on Amazon.
I will be interested in hearing how you like yours once you have worn them in different types and levels of snow. Let us know.

I'll let you know Marie. The snow I walked on with them just for a couple of minutes in the yard wasn't really icy and slippery, I'll try to remember to use them in the front in the morning. They are weird walking on hard surfaces, like my vinyl kitchen floor and the cement porch floor. They can harm flooring, but you have to get to the door. :)

PS: Mine goes on with the black rubber band, just stretched over toe and heel.

Back