Brandied Cranberries

GeorgiaXplant

I was sure that I posted this recipe a while back but don't find it so here ya go. Cranberries done like this are absolutely, positively the best ever.

3 cups whole fresh cranberries, washed and sorted (a 12-oz pkg)
1 1/2 cups white sugar
4-5 TBSP brandy

Spread cranberries in a 9x13 baking pan and sprinkle with sugar and brandy. Cover tightly with foil and bake at 350F for one hour. Stir well. Ladle into a hot sterilized pint jar and seal. Let cool and refrigerate.

Or...you can wait and pour the brandy in the jar. It all depends on whether you want the brandy flavor or a snootful of brandy. I bake it with the cranberries so that the alcohol will evaporate and there won't be any little kids drunk at dinner.

This is one of those things that you can make ahead. You can make it tomorrow if you like! Put it in a jar and keep it in the fridge. It's one of the other things I'm going to do over the weekend...make the mashed potatoes and make the brandied cranberries. That'll be two things out of the way that will free up a burner and the oven.

The brandied cranberries will keep a long, long time. Months, even.

Thanks for the recipe.

I will make a half batch of this using Splenda and a half batch the usual way as soon as I see those 99 cent cranberries at Aldi. I always grab a couple bags and toss them into the freezer, as is no processing. I wash and sort them when I take them out of the freezer.

That's what I do, too, Aunt Bea. And just a helpful hint that I learned after the first time I made these: double the recipe because there could be fights at the dinner table over who gets the last spoonful.

These cranberries will make believers out of haters, guaranteed!

Bumping this up since Thanksgiving is just around the corner. It's my all-time favorite way of making cranberries, and if the cranberries are what's mostly leftover on your table after dinner, you need to try this recipe. It will make a believer of the skeptical!

I will get a bag at Krogers since I have a digital coupon loaded on my card for $1.00 and it will be cheaper. Don't have an Alid's near so will use my Kroger coupons.

The only thing I seem to change each year is to use less sugar, not because of the taste but because I've been cautioned by my doctor to cut down on sugar (way down!). So far, I'm down to using less than a cup, but it hasn't seemed to affect the taste at all.

It's the time of year to bump this recipe up again. I've already got cranberries and am going to make them this weekend. Going to buy potatoes tomorrow and get those made, too. I spray muffin tins and plop a mound of the finished mashed potatoes in each cup and freeze them. Take out the day before and thaw in the fridge...or nuke them to thaw.

Dang...even Aldi's price for cranberries is up this year. $1.49 for a 12 oz pkg. Still cheaper than everybody else, though.

If you haven't tried cranberries this way, do! They make cranberry haters into cranberry lovers and cranberry lovers into devotees!

How much are people paying for cranberries this year? When they were on special for Canadian Thanksgiving, they were $1.99. We do have lots farms for them.

Bumping this recipe again, as I do every year (and twice this year!) because if only everybody would embrace brandied cranberries, we could achieve worldwide love and brotherhood, eliminate homelessness, solve the problem of the ozone, eradicate crabgrass...

Darn. Thought I’d make this and I don’t have any brandy. A full cabinet with dusty bottles of liquor. I thought I had a bit of everything. I even searched twice. I gather it doesn’t have to be a fancy type of brandy. May go to the store tomorrow.

It's time once again to bump up the recipe for brandied cranberries. All I have to do is remember to buy cranberries...

Cranberries done like this are absolutely, positively the best ever.

3 cups whole fresh cranberries, washed and sorted (a 12-oz pkg)
1 1/2 cups white sugar
4-5 TBSP brandy

Spread cranberries in a 9x13 baking pan and sprinkle with sugar and brandy. Cover tightly with foil and bake at 350F for one hour. Stir well. Ladle into a hot sterilized pint jar and seal. Let cool and refrigerate.

Or...you can wait and pour the brandy in the jar. It all depends on whether you want the brandy flavor or a snootful of brandy. I bake it with the cranberries so that the alcohol will evaporate and there won't be any little kids drunk at dinner.

@hollydolly You're more to be pitied than censured ;)

Actually, I wouldn't bother drinking brandy, but in the cranberries? This recipe is for both lovers and haters of cranberries.

I looked. Says I posted the recipe back in 2015. I'm sure I'd posted it before then but couldn't find it.

Back