British Racing Green...

Capt Lightning

In the early days of motor racing, Grand Prix races were run on a national, rather than team basis. The races were run on public roads, and the winners were to host the following Grand Prix. Unfortunately, the law in the UK did not permit racing on public roads, so when they won, and hence had to host the next race, Ireland offered to host the race. As a mark of gratitude, the British cars were painted green, and hence the colour 'British racing green' was born.

bentley.jpg
Arguably, the most famous car to bare the colour: British Racing Green. Known as The Bentley-Blower.

airline mg.jpg
The famous MG sports cars were given an aerodynamic make-over. It was named
The MG Airline, seen here in British Racing Green and Black, two-tone.

YB.jpg
Much as I love the British Racing Green as a colour, I've got clothes, hats and shoes in it, some cars just
don't cut it in BRG. This MG is called a YB, maybe I am biased but I much prefer my YB in it's red & cream.

shaftsbury.jpg

MY old Rover 2000 the first car I ever bought in Spain... was British racing green..

P1010096-1.jpg

They have a "Grand Prix" street race of that sort out here in Long Beach, CA.

I lived in Belmont Shore in Long Beach for a spell. I wasn't much interested in attending The Grand Prix of Long Beach...but I could sit home and hear it! I lived by Irwindale Raceway when I was a teen. I was probably 3 miles away as the crow flies, and The Top Fuel and Funny Cars would rattle my windows!

U.V.

My wife, father in law, and brother in law all had Jaguars, none were British Racing Green. I always like the 60’s era Brabham with the eyeball numbers, especially the ‘64 BT11. They were tiny…

Back