Can you tell a person's personality by the pets they have?

Olivia

Mostly I'm asking about cats, dogs and birds. But not limited to that.

For myself, I do better with cats. They are more self-sufficient and independent. Dogs need a lot of loving and should get that. I love my cat and I love my dog. But most of all, I loved my birds. What that says about my personality is that I'm more into myself; kind of selfish with my time. I need to do more about cats, because so many people make it sound like they are the rats of the animal family, when it's people that have done that to them. I need to find a way to do more about supporting cats. Here in Hawaii according to the Hawaiian Human Society is that 10, 000 cats are euthanized every year. That horrific and shouldn't have to happen.

I don't think so. Some people I have talked to love a certain type of pet because of the traits the animal has. Cats for their independence,dogs for their loyalty. Birds for their beauty. I will take anything with fur, feathers or fins. I had an old catfish in a tank when I was a kid and cried when it died. I just wish anyone considering a pet should go to a shelter. Some of these mixed breeds make wonderful pets. I've had several. I truly believe when you adopt them they somehow know it and will show their gratitude for the rest of their lives.

I have a dog and a cat, I'm pretty much like they are, friendly, mellow, affectionate and a little wary of strangers at times. :)

full

I've had cats & dogs. I've never met an animal I didn't like. I've also had more-unusual pets - a Boa Constrictor & a Python (12 ft. & 13 ft) When I was young, my mom's housekeeper thought she could tell what kind of person I was - she told me "I had an evil spirit because I handled serpents." I always LOL'd at her; she was a religious wacko.

having worked with animals for 10 years I met all types --and my answer to that is not always - some by the way the individual dresses
but you can be fooled - behind closed doors could be different to what u see outside the home --
not sure how u connect some ones personality by owning a dog or cats like myself if the person was in the family I would say yes .

No, I don't think so. People have pets for different reasons. I have always had pets, of varying types, simply because I like animals and enjoy having them around. Many people have dogs for companionship but I think that means they have expectations of the animal, which it may not live up to. I am used to having a cat jump on my lap as soon as I sit down, and a dog which enjoys my long walks. However, in my present circumstances, I'm not able to have either. I have to be content with guinea pigs, which do not enjoy a cuddle or being taken for walks.

I can tell the kind of person you are by the pets you have AND the shape they're in. Even in the context of the replies in this thread, I could have predicted what pets some posters have had. I was in pre-vet med, in college, worked with a house call vet in Chicago. I learned just as much about people as I did their pets. That's all I'll say, here, because SF is a Happy Place, with happy members!

I can tell the kind of person you are by the pets you have AND the shape they're in. Even in the context of the replies in this thread, I could have predicted what pets some posters have had. I was in pre-vet med, in college, worked with a house call vet in Chicago. I learned just as much about people as I did their pets. That's all I'll say, here, because SF is a Happy Place, with happy members!
I think you are right treeguy. I got my 4 birds,only one left now,from a garage sale years ago. I had to immediately scrub the cage and get new bowls for food and water,they were to filthy to save. I had to leave the car door open for a few hours to get rid of the stench of the cage. As I remember the people running the sale were just as filthy as the cage and the place was a disaster and they were young adults running the sale so in some cases you can tell by the condition of the pet.

I think a persons choice of dog may reflect their character. Men who want to be seen as 'macho', tend to buy the large aggressive dogs, feminine women go for cute dogs. I like spaniels, especially the King Charles. Not sure what that says about me, but I do prefer a dog with a coat, not the smooth-haired ones. I like something cuddly (men come into that category too).

I don't think the type of animal is the only way to tell about the owner's personality. People and their pets is just plain weird. Assuming that a dog is a dog, and a cat is a cat; if they are exhibiting certain characteristics and behaviors, it's because they live 24/7 with you. They are learning your social behaviors. So how those animals act does refect on their owners.

I think a persons choice of dog may reflect their character. Men who want to be seen as 'macho', tend to buy the large aggressive dogs, feminine women go for cute dogs. I like spaniels, especially the King Charles. Not sure what that says about me, but I do prefer a dog with a coat, not the smooth-haired ones. I like something cuddly (men come into that category too).
LOL by that train of thought I wonder what it says about my daughter who until the last 2 years had a Doberman, a Belgian Malinois, 3 labradoodles, a Pitbull, a Staffie, and a chihuhua...

All but 2 doodles and the chihuahua have died from Old age now .. bless all their paws big and little!!

Hmmn? All I have now is a goldfish. In the morning when he spots me, he puts on a show jumping around with his mouth open till I feed him.

It's amazing.

So what does that say about my personality? Well I live in an apartment and I don't think it's fair to have a dog that needs to run and play. But I love the neighbors dogs.

Back