Cancer Cure?

Gardenlover

Bedazzled Member
https://www.bbc.com/news/health-51182451

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A newly-discovered part of our immune system could be harnessed to treat all cancers, say scientists.

The Cardiff University team discovered a method of killing prostate, breast, lung and other cancers in lab tests.

The findings, published in Nature Immunology, have not been tested in patients, but the researchers say they have "enormous potential".

The Cardiff team discovered a T-cell and its receptor that could find and kill a wide range of cancerous cells in the lab including lung, skin, blood, colon, breast, bone, prostate, ovarian, kidney and cervical cancer cells.

Crucially, it left normal tissues untouched.

I remember this concept as far back as 1981, when my father took part in a study at Johns Hopkins, using the same language. Seems to pop up every decade or so then fades away, because in the long run it doesn't work.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-51182451

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A newly-discovered part of our immune system could be harnessed to treat all cancers, say scientists.

The Cardiff University team discovered a method of killing prostate, breast, lung and other cancers in lab tests.

The findings, published in Nature Immunology, have not been tested in patients, but the researchers say they have "enormous potential".

The Cardiff team discovered a T-cell and its receptor that could find and kill a wide range of cancerous cells in the lab including lung, skin, blood, colon, breast, bone, prostate, ovarian, kidney and cervical cancer cells.

Crucially, it left normal tissues untouched.
That is so exciting!

Anybody here a Twilight Zone fan?

In episode 32 of Season 3, "The Gift", an Alien came to Earth and the townspeople killed him and burned most the book he was offering them. Turned out it was a cure for cancer. One of my favorite episodes.

Oh wow I had forgotten about that episode it was incredible

I'm a cynic. Too many people with too much influence make too much money because of cancer and it might hurt the economy sooooooooooo.

Hanes Co. developed a knit machine for lady's stockings that would not ladder/run during the 'must wear hose' era but they were not brought to market because too much money could be made when we had to buy new stockings every week. Bad for the economy, Hanes that is.

I'm a cynic. Too many people with too much influence make too much money because of cancer and it might hurt the economy sooooooooooo.

Hanes Co. developed a knit machine for lady's stockings that would not ladder/run during the 'must wear hose' era but they were not brought to market because too much money could be made when we had to buy new stockings every week. Bad for the economy, Hanes that is.
I have read that auto tires could be made to never go flat, BUT same reason not to bring to market. ^ ^ ^ They would have gone out of business.

I remember this concept as far back as 1981, when my father took part in a study at Johns Hopkins, using the same language. Seems to pop up every decade or so then fades away, because in the long run it doesn't work.
Damn, I was so hoping this would be a light to curing this terrible disease. :(

Anybody here a Twilight Zone fan?

In episode 32 of Season 3, "The Gift", an Alien came to Earth and the townspeople killed him and burned most the book he was offering them. Turned out it was a cure for cancer. One of my favorite episodes.

I have not seen that one, but could sadly see it happening.

Last edited:
Every so often, we see "New Breakthroughs" in all major diseases. They never materialize. The purpose is research grants. In other words, $$$$$$$. Lots of it.

Exactly ! I believe they already have, and have had for some time, a cure for cancer & other serious diseases but.....There is too much money made , & to be made in the medical field "treating" these diseases . Cure them.....and their out of business.

Every so often, we see "New Breakthroughs" in all major diseases. They never materialize. The purpose is research grants. In other words, $$$$$$$. Lots of it.
You hit the nail on the head. Years back, my then neighbor’s son learned about how people can get grants from the government to do research or to do experimentations and so on, but whatever was chosen had to be in the best interest of humanity, or so his teacher told him at that time.

So, to test this out, him and another student decided to do a research on the Civil War and included all of the General’s and their backgrounds and just a bunch of this and that about the war, including some unknown or never published facts. They applied for a $50,000.00 grant and it took about 4 months until they received a letter advising them that they would be receiving a $28,000.00 grant to do their study and they had to make it available to the dept. of the interior within 2 years or they would have to relinquish the funds. I remember the neighbor telling me that they had a mountain of paperwork to fill out.

This was about 1990. They never had intended to do anything, so they wrote back to the department that was handling their grant that they had decided not to pursue the research. But, the check came anyway. They immediately returned it. I think there was more to it than what I wrote, but I can’t remember all what went on. I do remember that they showed their teacher the letter that they were going to be receiving the grant and told him that they would never not believe him again.

I don't know, I guess I still have hopes this one might be the miracle cure or at least very worthwhile, maybe because I have cancer in my family.

The word "cure" should not be attached to cancer. There are successful treatments but cures is wishful thinking. Hopefully soon we can call treatments cures but I believe it will be a while before cancer and all of it applications can share the shelve with polio and other diseases.

The word "cure" should not be attached to cancer. There are successful treatments but cures is wishful thinking. Hopefully soon we can call treatments cures but I believe it will be a while before cancer and all of it applications can share the shelve with polio and other diseases.
Yes. well said, and I think those conspiracy theorists who believe there is already a cure are just imaginative paranoiacs.

iWXKdIo.jpg

Yes. well said, and I think those conspiracy theorists who believe there is already a cure are just imaginative paranoiacs.

Oh, so I'm a conspiracy theorists & a paranoiac.....Because .....I disagree with you?....Or is it because I refuse to believe that the medical field is not in it for the money ? Take away their paychecks , hell anybody's paycheck, and they all go home.

Think about it for a bit.....Think about all the millions & millions of dollars made treating major diseases in this country. Think about all of the jobs that would be lost, if these diseases were no more. Then think about the fact that a "cure" makes them ......no more. BTW....same with the common cold.

Doctors,nurses, lab techs , medicine researchers , med manufactures, special equipment manufactures & operators, treatment center construction workers & the suppliers that supply them, bottle/box makers that supply the the industry, the delivery truck drivers, pharmacist.........etc. & so-on....the list is almost endless.

I have lost two very close friends to cancer.......and like most all folks, I hate that disease ........ but I refuse to be naive enough to believe that the medical professionals really care......jmo

Back