Candlemas and Groundhog Day

Both occur on February 2nd. Almost everyone knows about the groundhog predicting the arrival of spring. Candlemas is a Christian holiday that celebrates three occasions according to Christian belief: the presentation of the child Jesus; Jesus' first entry into the temple; and the purification of the Virgin Mary.
According to folklore, the weather on Candelmas is supposed to predict the conditions for the rest of the winter, thus grew the tradition of Groundhog Day:

If Candlemas Day be fair and bright,
Winter will have another flight.
But if it be dark with clouds and rain,
Winter is gone, and will not come again.

Punxsutawney Phil, is full of it. :poop:

Lost count of how many Groundhog Days that have come and gone where predictions ranged from 6-8 weeks more of heavy winter, and wouldn't you know it, spring sprung at the start of March.

My philosophy... think positive. :)

I don't know about this Groundhog Day. I think it should be canceled due to Covid-19. If that Groundhog comes out, he better watch out for other Groundhogs so he can keep his social distance. He is also be required to wear a mask. Actually, the mask wearing mafia insist that he wear 2 or 3 layers of masks. Furthermore, he should be provided with a hand sanitizer for his paws so that he will not transmit the new strain of Covid called "Hog21." And, he should be tested to make sure that he does not have the virus but he cannot expect to receive the vaccine as they are in short supply & people are more important than some brown haired beast. Life is hard even for a Groundhog. I recommend that he not even bother to come out! It's a cruel world out there!

After snow for 2 days here in NYS(Catskills) I personally want to hunt down the critter and put him in the soup pot😱
6 more weeks of winter????? The nerve:)
Up here it’s more like 8 more weeks...LOLOLOLOLOLLL

Back