Canned goods, store after opened?

HipGnosis

I live alone, so I don't eat a whole can of anything (other than non-condensed soup) in a single meal.

What is the 'proper' way to store the canned good once I open the can and take my serving out?

The cheapest and easiest, for me, is to save a few jars with good lids from the recycling and pour the remaining contents into them.

My second choice is a plastic cottage cheese container with a lid.

I'm a big fan of wide mouthed straight sided Smucker's Natural peanut butter jars and Tostito's salsa jars.

I was always taught to not store it in the can, but in some other container. But that could just be one of those "Mama always said..." tips. I have saved jarred pasta sauce in the glass jar, but take things out of the can. From my own experience, probably best to use it up in a few days.

I think storing it in the can increases the taste of metal, but is that really true? It was all in the can to begin with. Anyway, I put in a food storage container with a lid and refrigerate, or a zip lock bag.

I think storing it in the can increases the taste of metal, but is that really true? It was all in the can to begin with. Anyway, I put in a food storage container with a lid and refrigerate, or a zip lock bag.
I know it sure does make grapefruit juice taste metallic very quickly. Not sure about other things.

If it's just something that will be used quickly, I use a pet food can cover, I have many of them that I don't use regularly for my dog and cat food. Just had a half can of raspberries with heavy cream, and save the other half either for my husband if he wants it, or for me tomorrow.

New-1-Pc-Pets-Food-Can-Cover-Lid-Dog-Cat-Pet-Tin-Plastic-Reusable-Storage-Cap.jpg_640x640.jpg

This is the way I figure it. I think the safest way is to store it in the can covered with tin foil or saran wrap.

My reasoning and I read this somewhere a long time ago.

The can and food is sterilized in the canning process. Therefore the chance of bacteria lurking are minimized.

They do tell you to refrigerate after opening of course.

Food for thought?

If you aren't going to use it in a few days, the best way is to put it in a container and freeze it.

Think of it this way. Your tupperware and other containers are sitting around in your cupboard for a long time even though they have been washed.

I live alone, so I don't eat a whole can of anything (other than non-condensed soup) in a single meal.

What is the 'proper' way to store the canned good once I open the can and take my serving out?

I have the exact same situation.

Don't store it in the can. Put the leftover in a covered bowl, put it in the refrigerator and eat it within about 3 days.

Here is a good resource website:

http://www.stilltasty.com/

SeaBreeze, I discovered these lids just recently in the pet department while buying bird seed. I had been looking for them for years. I guess they don't sell them in the human food section because most people don't store the food in the can. I do for certain items that I will use the next day. One thing I found that doesn't store well in the can are foods with a lot of acid like tomatoes. They go in plastic containers or my small Pyrex glass containers. I still have the set my Mom used.
If it's just something that will be used quickly, I use a pet food can cover, I have many of them that I don't use regularly for my dog and cat food. Just had a half can of raspberries with heavy cream, and save the other half either for my husband if he wants it, or for me tomorrow.

New-1-Pc-Pets-Food-Can-Cover-Lid-Dog-Cat-Pet-Tin-Plastic-Reusable-Storage-Cap.jpg_640x640.jpg

Back