Cashier refused to give change

I wondered the same thing, Janice. We needed a laundromat to wash clothes when we went camping. We carry rolls of quarters we pack with the laundry supplies and another roll we keep in the car for tolls or vending machines.
We used $11 in quarters for two loads. No change machines available, either.

I live in a small town in Minnesota. For awhile I could go to a local grocery store and buy a roll of quarters. They won't do that any more. I tried Walmart, and they won't sell me quarters either. I had an "online bank account," and switched to Wells Fargo so I could buy quarters at the bank. Well, the pandemic hit, and now you need an appointment! Oh, and Wells Fargo posted notice that they have no quarters!

Fortunately a good friend of my sister's sometimes watches my Facebook posts. This is the second time she bought me a few groceries and gave me maybe $20 worth of quarters.

The one place I need cash is at the Farmers’ Market. I stock up on $5 bills and loonies (yes, Canada). It’s the rare item that isn’t in these denominations. These are kept in a special bag that is kept at home. My regular purse has one loonie for the grocery cart. Any other time if I needed to pay for something with cash, I’d be out of luck.

When I lived in Maine, our apartment building got new washers & dryers. They used cards instead of coins. You could load money onto the card using a machine in the laundry room. That was extremely convenient.

What I've been wondering is what do people who need car washes and laundromats do? Unless they have stockpiles of quarters, there must be some out there.
I can't say about the laundromats but the car washes around here (southern New England) all have slots for credit cards. No cash needed.

Back