Cataract Surgery....Yes, or No

Not with laser, this video should help explain.

Your video nicely explains the quartering of the lens (cataracts) for removal. It does not show the replacement lens being installed.
Admittedly there are rare instances where laser surgery can remove cataracts without lens removal. Also secondary cataracts coming later can be addressed with laser surgery.
[edited for clarity]

Last edited:
Your video nicely explains the quartering of the lens (cataracts) for removal. It does not show the replacement lens being installed.
Admittedly there are rare instances where laser surgery can remove cataracts without lens removal. Also secondary cataracts coming later can be addressed with laser surgery.
[edited for clarity]
What replacement lens? The cornea is sliced the cataract is removed. Unless you are talking about the need for an IOL. That is something that a patient & their doctor need to discuss the need for.

I did not have a bad outcome, they did one eye a month later the other with the month of four different drops. No lasers, involved. 6 years later I see normal.

Yes was nervous, but being blind for me was not an option, could not see before the procedure.

What replacement lens? The cornea is sliced the cataract is removed. Unless you are talking about the need for an IOL. That is something that a patient & their doctor need to discuss the need for.
Where do you think the cataract is?
Cataract surgery is also referred to as Lens Replacement Surgery. Kind of interchangeable.

When my cataracts had reached their worst, I was seeing everything through a cloudy yellowish filter. Of course it had taken so many years for my eyes to gradually reach this stage, I really didn't notice. With my new lenses, I was shocked at how bright, vivid, and colorful the world was again. It really is marvelous.

I had my annual eye exam early this morning, and the doctor is recommending Cataract surgery. I've noticed that while driving at night, the "white light" headlights on these newer vehicles are really distracting and cause an overly large "halo" effect, unless I look away as they approach.

I ordered an anti-glare coating on the new glasses, and they should be here in a couple of weeks, so I'll try them out to see if that helps.

Question....has anyone else had this surgery, and if so, did it help, and were there any problems? How long was the recovery time, etc.?

With the holidays coming up, I doubt I will do anything until January/February...when I'd be pretty much staying home, anyway.

unbelivaible piece of cake for me....one eye twice ...both eyes once....10 maybe 12 seconds of blue light done deal each time.......be miticiulous with the after care drops........can easliy see a mile....dont do much night driiving but it is the leds and not so much my eyes on that.......

I'll probably have cataract surgery after the holidays. I knew I had cataracts but it was not until recently that they began affecting my ability to see to drive. I could see well enough to keep it between the lines but I couldn't see to read street signs or menu boards at drive thrus. I got a new eyeglass prescription and took it to my usual store and they updated one lens and put it into my current frames so that eye is now 20/20. I'm a little reluctant to have the surgery as I only have sight in one eye. But, I know not doing it will have bad consequences. I am reading about the options regarding the lens implants and am thinking I'll probably get the one for distance. I'm used to wearing glasses to read, etc.

I had my annual eye exam early this morning, and the doctor is recommending Cataract surgery. I've noticed that while driving at night, the "white light" headlights on these newer vehicles are really distracting and cause an overly large "halo" effect, unless I look away as they approach.

I ordered an anti-glare coating on the new glasses, and they should be here in a couple of weeks, so I'll try them out to see if that helps.

Question....has anyone else had this surgery, and if so, did it help, and were there any problems? How long was the recovery time, etc.?

With the holidays coming up, I doubt I will do anything until January/February...when I'd be pretty much staying home, anyway.
Both DH and I have had cataract surgery, all I can say is it is no longer horrible being in a car at night, He reads constantly and no longer complains about dry , or tired eyes. Ours was done one eye at a time, and I am glad of that we had the best eye surgeon in BC!

My husband had both eyes done (separately) about 7 years ago and he has 20/30 distance without glasses. Unfortunately...he can't see a damn thing up close...haha. His doc told him to just buy a pair of cheaters for close up and that's what he uses. He had no problems with the surgery and he said it was a piece of cake.

I had my eye exam on Tues. (hadn't been there in 2 1/2 years) and was so surprised that they don't dilate your eyes any more...YEA :) I couldn't believe that my eyes have gotten better...not worse and my cataracts are "way back there". I didn't need new lenses because the new lenses I got 2 1/2 years ago were just right now. I never wore them when I got them because I couldn't adjust to the change in RX. Isn't that strange? I have 20/20 close up with bifocals but I have to have things very close to me. However, I don't have any middle clarity. Everything is blurry. Can't have everything, I guess.

I had the surgery done within the last year. I didn't get any corrective implants since my insurance didn't cover them. I was having trouble seeing print on the TV such as during the news and instead of halos when driving in the dark the lights stared out.

I can see better with prescription glasses now. First surgery went well. Second they had trouble getting the IV in and I'm convinced it wasn't in properly and that much of that medication went into my tissue instead of my vein. I remember, to my knowledge the entire second surgery where I remember little of the first one.

Worst part was that after the second surgery my prescription glasses were obsolete. I couldn't see anything with them and they don't even do your exam for new glasses for weeks after the surgery. I realized I could see distance with my prescription reading glasses and then I put those clip on magnifying lenses from the craft store to see close up. That saved me until I got the new prescription glasses.

I was a bit ticked off over that as they told me to just get readers (no they didn't work) and never told me my eye sight could be that bad after the surgery before I could get the new glasses. If I hadn't figured out what worked for me I would have been SOL. It's just another way you seem to be an object and not a person with different needs when it comes to medical stuff. My prescription is complex. They should know that and take it into consideration.

But I needed it and I'm glad it's done.

Back