changes in long believed medical normal standards

Jeni

https://www.webmd.com/lung/what-is-a-fever#1

The Myth of 98.6​

"The 98.6 F standard dates to the mid-1800s. German doctor Carl Wunderlich measured the armpit temperatures of about 25,000 people and came up with an average of 98.6 F."
Newer research suggests that the number has since gone down. In a recent review, scientists looked at temperature records from three periods between 1860 and 2017. The average oral temperature slowly fell by about 1 degree to 97.5 F. A person’s age, gender, or weight didn’t make a difference, nor did the time of day.

Doctors have several ideas about why body temperatures are falling. They include:

• Lower metabolic rates. Your body uses energy so all your systems can work the way they should. This creates heat. But people may have lower metabolic rates now because we weigh more than people did centuries ago. The less heat your body makes, the lower your temperature.
  • Lower rates of infection. In the 19th century, infections such as tuberculosis, syphilis, and long-term gum disease were more common. As a result, many people had higher body temperatures.
  • Better thermometers. We may have more accurate thermometers than people did a century ago.

• Despite the new research, doctors don’t consider you to have a fever until your temperature is at or above 100.4 F. But you can be sick if it’s lower than that.
    The new research shows that for many the idea of taking a temp for Covid screening may have been futile. I always thought looking for A symptomatic people screening for a symptom was not logical.
I am personally amazed that some people hold on to items in medicine and science as it does change none is settled.
One size never fits All.
We are all different but we frame disease and treatments on what is Normal ranges ....perhaps long held normal standards are not accurate.
Questioning of items in the treatment or approach should be encouraged....... not ridiculed.

Last edited:
The key is in the way people's understanding of fairly simple language has declined. To say there's an average 'normal' number attached to anything means there's a range that is normal. Just because the.average is specific number does not mean that people with higher or lower numbers are unhealthy. This goes for body temp, BP and probably most such 'standards'.

I've long (6 decades) argued that the smart person makes an effort to learn what is normal for them.

Last edited:
I agree to know your own normal
but that does not always help when some items are set to what " average" is.
I have had this discussion with my own doctor many times.
In the average/ normal mindset you can have doctors wanting to possibly prescribe or treat items to try to make a individual fit the "normal for everyone else mold"

In the average/ normal mindset you can have doctors wanting to possibly prescribe or treat items to try to make a individual fit the "normal for everyone else mold"
That's when i change doctors!

Some like proactive patients, some don't. But too many seem have their own ideas about which standards are most crucial and don't consider how various things mat interact or respecf the fact that some of us (especially male ob/gyn talking to their patients) know our own bodies very well.

I was thrilled when in the stirrups at a Honolulu teaching hospital (got birth control free just by having monthly exam) a supervising doctor told an intern that what i'd just told that intern about a 'discharge' i had was "absolutely correct". Poor intern was clearly surprised, but i like to think that since this took place in front of a group of interns that at least some of them remembered it when they opened their own offices or became medical staff at a hospital.

^^^^ Bingo! The cookie-cutter approach many doctors use doesn't work, but doctors only go by what they're taught.

Back