Changing Internet Providers

Hello, I've been using AOL.com for almost 20 years, and I want to switch to Google Chrome.

I already have Google Chrome installed, but if I dump AOL, will I lose all the pictures that I saved on my computer using AOL?

I have over 300 image files, mostly in 600x800 resolution, with some in 480x640 resolution.

Will I lose them if I don't back them up on a flash drive? How much flash memory will I need?

Thanks,
HiDesertHal

Last edited:
Hey, I've been using AOL.com for almost 20 years, and I want to switch to Google Chrome.

I already have Google Chrome installed, but if I dump AOL, will I lose all the pictures that I saved on my computer using AOL?

I have over 300 image files, mostly in 600x800 resolution, with some in 480x640 resolution.

Will I lose them if I don't back them up on a flash drive? How much flash memory will I need?

Thanks,
HiDesertHal
As far as I know, Google Chrome is not an internet provider..A internet provider is the company you pay to bring internet into your home.

As far as I know, Google Chrome is not an internet provider..A internet provider is the company you pay to bring internet into your home.

Correct. An 'internet provider' is an ISP. Chrome is a browser.

Having said that, where is your data saved on AOL? The cloud? Your drives? If they are on your drives at home, it doesn't matter what ISP you use.

Ken, the first page on my computer screen has this list of things for me to select:

Owner
Documents
Pictures
Music
Games
Computer
Control Panel
Devices and Printers
Default Programs
Help and Support

I always select "Pictures", which opens the picture files, then I scroll to the picture I want to post or send in an Email.

That's it! I don't know if this means it's stored on my Computer or is provided by my ISP, which is AOL.

Also, I never could understand the difference between a Browser and an ISP, and I've been online for almost 20 years!

I appreciate your helping me!

Hal

Ken, the first page on my computer screen has a list of things for me to select:

Owner
Documents
Pictures
Music
Games
Computer
Control Panel
Devices and Printers
Default Programs
Help and Support

I always select "Pictures", then scroll to the picture I want to post or send in an Email.

That's it! I don't know if this means it's stored on my Computer or is provided bymy ISP, which is AOL.

Hal
Yes they are stored on your computer..They will stay there no matter what browser you use..Who is your internet provider?? Who do you pay for internet service??

Hey Ken,

My Internet Service Provider is AOL.

My Landline Telephone Service and my Internet Service are on the same monthly bill.

Are you saying that if I dump AOL my pictures will still be saved on my Computer?

Thanks again, and I will back up my pictures on an 8GB flash Drive before changing my ISP.

Hal

The ISP (whoever brings the internet into your home) has nothing to do with the browser which is what chrome is. Chrome does the same things Internet Explorer does, it moves you around the various sites on the net. If you want to use chrome you can do that now. Just put a site address into the chrome browser and it will take you there. Since your photos are on your computer hard drive it doesn't matter who your ISP OR Browser is.

Yes your pictures are safe on your computer..I have never heard of AOL having phone service..

Hal, you must have DSL which is broadband (others might have cable from their cable company bundled with TV, etc.) that is provided by your phone company. I have that, too and get billed for that with my phone service. My DSL phone service also comes with their own email (ISP) service, although to date I'm still with AOL. I do plan to transfer out of it to my phone company's ISP. But the AOL software keeps all my saved mail and favorites on my computer. I'm having a problem thinking about it after all these years--20 for me as well.

Any pictures I save is on my computer--not on AOL. AOL, as far as I know, doesn't keep stuff on a cloud for you, so you couldn't even do that even if you wanted to.

Today, the most popular and well-known search engine is Google. Other popular search engines include AOL, Ask.com, Baidu, Bing and Yahoo.
For users, a search engine is accessed through a browser on their computer, smartphone, tablet, or another device

I always thought that browser and search engine were
the same thing, just called different names by different
countries or operating systems.

I browse the internet using a search engine, or I search
the internet using a browser! I am probably wrong though
according to previous answers in this thread.

AOL bailed out of the UK in the early 90s, I was a member,
I didn't know that it was still going.

Mike.

When you use your browser as a search engine it still uses your default search engine. IOW you default search engine is automatically used unless you select another one for a specific search.

When you use your browser as a search engine it still uses your default search engine. IOW you default search engine is automatically used unless you select another one for a specific search.
When you first down load a browser, in the settings you select which search engine you want as your default engine.

I use Google Chrome, and it acts just like AOL, but it's even better because I can get videos on YouTube, which AOL doesn't do!

So what do I have, a Search Motor or a Browser?

Thanks, Hal

First off, how do you get to AOL to send and receive e-mail? Do you have a desktop AOL software where there's an AOL icon somewhere on your desktop that you click to open up AOL, or do you use AOL.com to get there?

I use Google Chrome, and it acts just like AOL, but it's even better because I can get videos on YouTube, which AOL doesn't do!

So what do I have, a Search Motor or a Browser?

Thanks, Hal

Answer deleted (put in wrong post).

Back