Chatting about cherries

I recently tried dried cherries earlier this year, for the first time. Got dried cranberries as well. Love them to snack on

I wish I could send you what's left of my package of dried tart cherries! They're my first dried cherry purchase and I thought the tart ones would still be tart like craisins even with the added sugar, but they're not. Yuck! I've found some with no sugar so will order and try those.

I love bing cherries, but they've gotten so expensive and they aren't nearly as sweet as I remember them being when I was younger. There used to be lots of cherry orchards in the Santa Clara valley but many were removed as high tech moved in. However I do still like having them, it just isn't quite the same as I thought it was. I do think it's possible that I remember them as being better than they actually were.

food-drink-cherry-cherry_picker-philosophy-philosophers-philosophize-mtun487_low.jpg

I like them only if they taste sweet! Often the store puts them in a package and you can't taste them..of course now a days you really need to wash them good anyhow before trying them. So, I never know if they are going to be sweet when I buy them.

We love Ranier cherries. We first discovered them on a trip to the Northwest. Unfortunately they cannot be grown in Southern CA, and also have a very short harvest season. My wife dislikes cherries in general, but loves the Ranier cherries.

I like them only if they taste sweet! Often the store puts them in a package and you can't taste them..of course now a days you really need to wash them good anyhow before trying them. So, I never know if they are going to be sweet when I buy them.
At my store there are now signs by the cherries and grapes saying not to taste them
The yellow ones I started this thread with are pretty sweet.

Several years ago I stood at the black heart cherry display at my market and watched as a woman and child of about 10 or 11 eat at least a dozen or more each. I said, "You know that's shoplifting, don't you?" She glared at me and each grabbed another handful and moved on.

I probably should have MYOB but it made me so angry. I had seen them in the parking lot earlier getting out of a large Mercedes. I remembered them because they parked beside me and the child let her door bump my car.

I rarely have fresh cherries but once or twice a year I make this old recipe from the 60s with a can of cherry pie filling.

CRUNCH

1 cup AP flour
1 cup oatmeal
1 cup brown sugar
1 stick of butter or margarine
1 can of pie filling

Mix flour, oatmeal, brown sugar. Melt butter and add to the dry ingredients.
Use half of the mixture on the bottom of a pie pan or small casserole. Add can of pie filling. Top with remaining crumbs. Bake at 350 for 30 to 45 minutes. Serve with vanilla ice cream.

You can add some cinnamon, nutmeg, nuts, etc. It depends on your taste and the type of pie filling.

Back