Chesapeake Bay Bridge & Tunnel Highway

I have driven across this bridge/tunnel in good and bad weather. It’s a great and beautiful ride.
The other bay bridge, which is north of this one is not so good. It can be a challenge on windy days and you have to hold onto the wheel. I saw campers going very slow over that bridge on very windy days. This bridge also rattles and shakes. Not for people who don’t like bridges.

Thanks for posting that great video! I’ve been over it a few times fortunately in good weather, love it. Y’all probably realize those tunnels are there because of the shipping in the bay needing to go through. Another amazing sight is to see a Navy convoy come down the bay to the ocean.

In 1970, the Yancey, the U.S. Navy ship the Spousal Equivalent was serving on, slipped anchor during high winds and took out a chunk of a section of the bridge. The bridge was closed for a month or so.

There's a hunk of concrete sitting on the shelf in our house that he picked up off the deck.

Luckily no one was injured, but the ship's captain retired from the Navy posthaste.

The Navy has a ship named the Spousal Equivalent, not what you wrote, but I couldn't resist.
(Say it ain't true Joe-say it ain't true.)

Last edited:
my son and his wife and 2 grandchildren cross that bridge every day to go to work--they said it takes forever to get across it--i have crossed it a few times it is kind of shakey

I have been across this may times as a child going to see my grandparents. I think it is where I got my fear of bridges and tunnels that I still have today. My son laughs everytime he takes me somewhere and we have to go across a bride. Close my eyes tight, hold on to the door handle with both feet planted on the front side of the floor board. If I ever have to do that one again I shall need to be medicated.

Last edited:
I would need to be put to sleep (anesthesia). I dislike bridges.
Nah, you would be OK. Once you started over it and admired the beauty it has to offer, it would take your mind off of the fact that it's a bridge and a tunnel. If you ever try it and it's going to be your first time, make sure it's a really nice day outside. You will enjoy it more.

Nah, you would be OK. Once you started over it and admired the beauty it has to offer, it would take your mind off of the fact that it's a bridge and a tunnel. If you ever try it and it's going to be your first time, make sure it's a really nice day outside. You will enjoy it more.
a7f8559806818c2e706f924df6ed6aa5[1].gif

Back