Chewy GF Gingerbread Cookies (healthy version)

PeppermintPatty

🔷 💜 🔷
Chewy gluten free GINGERBREAD COOKIE RECIPE (makes 12 - 20 cookies) gluten free

Ingredients:
2 cups ground oats or oat flour (200g)
1/4 cup tapioca starch or cornstarch (30g)
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cloves
14 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup maple syrup (60ml)
2 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp. Vanilla extract
1 egg

Healthier icing:
2 tbsp coconut cream
2 tbsp extra virgin coconut oil
1/2 tbsp tapioca starch
1/2 tbsp powdered coconut sugar

Preparation:
In a medium sized bowl, mix the dry ingredients, oats, tapioca, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, salt and baking soda. Set aside.

In another bowl, add maple syrup, applesauce, vanilla extract and egg or flax egg. Whisk it up well.

Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, and using a wooden spoon mix until the dough starts to form. You may need to add a bit more applesauce, and / or maple syrup.

Tranfer the dough to a working surface, and gently knead into a ball. Shape into a disc, wrap it up in foil and place in the fridge for 1
hour.

When chilled, place the dough between two pieces of parchment paper and roll into the 1/4 inch thick.

Cut with your favorite cookie cutter and line the cookies onto a lined baking tray.
Bake cookies at 350F (180C) for 8-10 minutes.

Let it cool in a tray for 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack.

When completely cool, decorate with melted dark chocolate or this healthier white icing.

Note: I substituted 2 tbsp. of fancy molasses for 2 of the 4 tbsp. of maple syrup plus added about an 1/8th tsp. of cardamom for a more grown up gingerbread. Black currents for eye decoration works well and keeps it healthy using the recommended icing as glue.
These are exceptionally good.

I’m gonna try these today @PeppermintPatty ! Yum
Oh good. I hope you like them as much as I do. You might need to do a bit of tweaking to get the right type of consistency and add a bit of oat flour between rolling but I’m sure you already know all this.

I had oatmeal flour in my cupboard which I hadn’t used in ages so it was nice to find this recipe. It’s not my recipe so I probably should have added my source of info.

Enjoy 😊

PS. They were as much fun to make as they were to eat.

Weeeelllll…. Hm

I can say what *doesn’t* work with this recipe

I did not have oat flour so I tried substituting almond and coconut flour….

also I think my ginger powder must be old or wimpy

sorry, didn’t work out for me. But nice concept

Oh no! 🙁
I’m so sorry.
Almond and coconut flour are both very dense and far too flavourful for this recipe. This recipe is extra moist due to the apple sauce, maple syrup and molasses so truly needs a light flour. Oat flour isn’t something I normally use but it actually worked really good with these.

If you can’t find oat flour and have a blender, or vitamix, get some gluten free quick oats. Quaker Oats makes them. Grind to make your own flour. Buy some fresh dried ginger and try it again.

These cookies also need a small cookie cutter or made small otherwise they won’t bake evenly. I didn’t make the icing and they were still good.

Hopefully you’re not cursing me 😬and might give it a try again. I guarantee they are worth the effort.

P.S. I also baked them about 50% longer than this recipe calls for.

Oh no! 🙁
I’m so sorry.
Almond and coconut flour are both very dense and far too flavourful for this recipe. This recipe is extra moist due to the apple sauce, maple syrup and molasses so truly needs a light flour. Oat flour isn’t something I normally use but it actually worked really good with these.

If you can’t find oat flour and have a blender, or vitamix, get some gluten free quick oats. Quaker Oats makes them. Grind to make your own flour. Buy some fresh dried ginger and try it again.

These cookies also need a small cookie cutter or made small otherwise they won’t bake evenly. I didn’t make the icing and they were still good.

Hopefully you’re not cursing me 😬and might give it a try again. I guarantee they are worth the effort.

P.S. I also baked them about 50% longer than this recipe calls for.
Next time I’m at the grocery store I’ll check on the oat flour and the ginger. 😊

@CinnamonSugar
Those look so good.
Im so glad you gave these another shot. Your idea of vegan candies melted on top is a great one! I would have never thought of that.
Nicely done.

P.S. Homemade oat flour wasn’t something I had seriously considered until this recipe but now I’ll use it more often. It’s an inexpensive form of gluten free flour.

Back