Classic Hummus

yes it's really easy to make , we always have hummus in the firdge and you can add any flavour you like.. we add chilli's or morrocon falvours, sometimes curry flavour, and others
Oooh yum! The site that I posted also has 20 variations on hummus. I'd be just like to throw in stuff too.

I'm trying to like it!

I thought about making my own but the price of a jar of tahini changed my mind. I was afraid that the leftover tahini would end up shivering in the back of the fridge.

I'm still curious and can't wait to hear the results of the recipe.

Good luck!

I'm trying to like it!

I thought about making my own but the price of a jar of tahini changed my mind. I was afraid that the leftover tahini would end up shivering in the back of the fridge.

Good luck!
Thanks, I'm getting some sesame tahini and it is pricey but I hope to make lots of hummus and use a lot of it.

I'm trying to like it!

Good luck!
I was watching a little video from Jacques Pepin on making hummus where he used peanut butter in place of tahini.

This is a link to another Jacques Pepin recipe that does not use any seed or nut butter.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/cannellini-bean-dip-from-jacques-pépin-heart-and-175242478.html

I really enjoy the way he uses what is available to prepare various dishes instead of running to the store in search of a pricey ingredient. It's more about learning a process as opposed to making a specific recipe.

Now I think I'm finally ready to give making hummus a try.

I love humus and had some roasted red pepper humus last night with chips. It was so good. Another thing I’m really getting into is making retried beans. Surprisingly they taste similar to freshly made humus and it’s a really quick snack or meal to make with salad and /or chips.623D3A79-BA67-4D63-8E87-4BB979F354EA.jpeg

Last edited:
Love homemade hummus! I use Martha Rose Shulman's lighter recipe. My best friend skyped me from Tunisia several years ago asking for the recipe. She didn't like the local hummus as well and wanted her friends to taste the alternative. Shulman's Mediterranean Light cookbook has been one of my favorites since it was published in 1989. The recipes are tasty, healthy and she incorporates stories of her travels to the different regions as well as mini histories of some of the foods and recipes.

I also occasionally buy Sabra Singles roasted red pepper minicups for an on-the-go snack, but theirs isn't as good as homemade.

Last edited:
Here is a recipe for hummus that came with my Vitamix. I'm no chef, but when I make this for company, they RAVE about it:

Ingredients
  • 2 cans (900 g) chickpeas, liquid reserved from 1 can
  • 35 g (¼ cup) sesame seeds
  • 1 Tablespoon olive oil
  • 60 ml (¼ cup) lemon juice
  • 1 garlic clove
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • ⅛ teaspoon salt
Directions
  1. Place chickpeas, liquid from 1 can of chickpeas, sesame seeds, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, and cumin into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure lid.
  2. Select Variable 1.
  3. Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 10, then to High.
  4. Blend 1 minute, using the tamper to push the ingredients into the blades.
  5. Season to taste with sa

Another simple recipe from the folks at King Arthur Flour.

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/a-simple-hummus-recipe

In the summer I marinate a can of chickpeas or white beans in an Italian salad dressing with sliced onion and minced garlic.

I'm beginning to think that when I get bored with the marinated beans I should drain the leftovers and toss them into the blender to make my personal house version of hummus.

Back