Cleaning and disenfecting cutting boards.

My favorite wooden cutting board which has outlasted several others that I hardly ever used, is older than I am. My father made it for my mother. Usually cleaned with just water and one of those green scrubbing pads, a little lather added if I’d cut meat on it, rinsed thoroughly, air dried.

In speaking for myself, I sure don't fuss over my cutting boards, a little bleach, followed by a few drops of dish detergent, rinse, dry, and my boards are fresh and clean and ready for the next meal.

In speaking for myself, I sure don't fuss over my cutting boards, a little bleach, followed by a few drops of dish detergent, rinse, dry, and my boards are fresh and clean and ready for the next meal.
I would be doing that all day. That's why I have 5 cutting boards. I admire people who clean up as they go along but that's not me.

I would be doing that all day. That's why I have 5 cutting boards. I admire people who clean up as they go along but that's not me.
For me, Camper, working/cooking around a mess just doesn't cut it, I have to cleanup as I go. With me it's not an option, it's a necessity.

Always been that way.

Love your lemon juice and salt trick, Keesha!

I must try that, too!

Just regular table salt, or do you use something other than?
Just a regular lemon and regular table salt , however, I must warn you that if you have any little nicks or cuts on your hands, you’ll feel it so best done with gloves.

I personally like this idea with wood since wood is a natural porous material so holds in whatever you’re cleaning it with. The lemon and salt not only disinfect it but leave a pleasant taste even after rinsing if you get what I mean. I’ve used some cleaners on this cutting board and tasted them in the next food I prepared😝

Just a regular lemon and regular table salt , however, I must warn you that if you have any little nicks or cuts on your hands, you’ll feel it so best done with gloves.

I personally like this idea with wood since wood is a natural porous material so holds in whatever you’re cleaning it with. The lemon and salt not only disinfect it but leave a pleasant taste even after rinsing if you get what I mean. I’ve used some cleaners on this cutting board and tasted them in the next food I prepared😝
Thanks for all, Keesha.

Can't wait to try it!

I'll post a follow-up here after I do.

If soap and water is good enough to kill the Covid on our skin why bother bleaching a cutting board? Bacteria doesn't last as long on hard surfaces as they does on skin.
When it comes to preparing the likes of poultry, one can never be too careful, hence the use of bleach, etc.

I myself would not trust a simple soap and water wash of a cutting board after preparing poultry.

NO!! Please do not do this! Paper towels are not designed to dissolve in water as TP is, and will block pipes.

Same with those misnamed "flushable" wipes. They create horrendous clogs in city pipes.

Do not flush paper towels, wipes or facial tissues—they clog your pipes and our pumps!

Nah I disagree. If you let them soak they fall apart just as easily as toilet paper and some days the toilet paper clogs the pipes.
I agree with not using flushable wipes. Different materials.

When it comes to preparing the likes of poultry, one can never be too careful, hence the use of bleach, etc.

I myself would not trust a simple soap and water wash of a cutting board after preparing poultry.
All I know is I do not recall anyone suggesting disinfection after handling chicken, only soap and water and I never got sick. But how about this note? I saw a chef say to make sure you wash the sink after handling the bird. This because the water is splashing as you clean. Makes sense. I rinse all other meats before I handle them because of the butcher blade used to cutting them is seldom cleaned regularly.

All I know is I do not recall anyone suggesting disinfection after handling chicken, only soap and water and I never got sick. But how about this note? I saw a chef say to make sure you wash the sink after handling the bird. This because the water is splashing as you clean. Makes sense. I rinse all other meats before I handle them because of the butcher blade used to cutting them is seldom cleaned regularly.
I agree with the chef, I always wash the sink out with a bleach solution when I'm done preparing poultry. I take no chances.

Knives, bowls, whatever I use get's tossed into the bleach and water solution.

Never had food poisoning related to my home-cooking, no upset tummies in the house, nothing. Stringent food-safe practices take nothing more than a few extra minutes, and the payoff IMO is well worth the time and effort. It boils down to peace of mind for me.

Yes, I rinse meat such as pork chops, roasts, etc, before preparing. Aside from contaminated blades, we don't know how the cuts of meat were handled prior to packaging.

I just went online to see how to wash a cutting board and it turns out everyone here is right-soap, bleach (no need for full strength), vinegar, salt are all good.
I showed the easy way to use bleach. Full strength takes out all the scratches and stains. A white board looks like new. And you don't need much. Just a sprinkle .

If soap and water is good enough to kill the Covid on our skin why bother bleaching a cutting board? Bacteria doesn't last as long on hard surfaces as they does on skin.
Why are you so opposed to bleach? It's chlorine. It's used in the water supply and swimming pools. You rinse your hands every day in running water that has chlorine in it. On a cutting board it removes stains. Soap and water doesn't.

Back