Cleaning Supplies!

Nice list Annie.
I often make up my own cleaners but got lazy and decided to spoil myself and I’m still glad I did.

The scents themselves make my day but the ideas in this thread have brought new possibilities in mind.

With making your own cleaners, you get to decide what’s in your cleaner. This I really like especially with having the three pets.

Natural products are favourable here so Green Works is one I use as well as that ECOS laundry soap. We have a nice one at our local Costco that’s magnolia and lily. It’s really nice.

B11C4A2E-7B41-4942-B724-FD36099D8E97.jpeg

I recall when I was broke in college buying this off brand pink dish washing soap. It was good for about five minutes then all bubbles were gone and it cleaned nothing.

Please report back, FM. The commercial sprinkle-ons are much too heavily scented for me.
It did not remove the dirt in the heavy traffic area but it did make a slight difference. I will use the leftover mixture on the same area. I have enough for two more applications. I am going to but the Arm & Hammer carpet powder next if need be.

A few products I buy, because I like the name.....
Goof Off is one of them. I had a buddy who was retiring after many years traveling, away from his family on business. I gave him a bottle, for his time ahead to just Goof Off! They have a whole line of products of different strengths, for different applications.....or you could just Goof Off!🤪
goof-off-paint-thinner-solvents-cleaners-fg659-64_1000.jpg

Last edited:
I found that a great way to clean things is to buy a large, bulk gallon of dish soap, then put a solution of the soap and water into a small spray bottle (like an eyeglass solution squirter). It makes the dish soap dispense the perfect amount for washing hands, going directly onto a sponge or dish, and it makes the soap last forever!
I do the same thing and I have a separate sprayer in the bathroom. I add bleach to it and it works great on the toilet bowl.
Washing dishes by hand? It doesn't matter what brand of dish soap you use if you let the dishes soak in hot water. Everything comes off easily.

Pine-Sol (the original formula) was my go-to household cleaner for decades, until they discounted making it with real pine nut oil.

My standard go-to household cleaner now is Lysol Power & Fresh (Orange). Love the scent.

Have always kept a bottle of ammonia handy for tough jobs such as stripping wax off floors, scrubbing grease off walls, whatever have you. For really tough jobs I'll sock a cloth in a little bit of straight ammonia and go to work on whatever it is that I was clean.

When it comes to true disinfecting I like household bleach (Javex or Clorox brand). I love treating my dishcloth to a bleach soaking the night before. A splash of bleach in one of the kitchen sink basins, a little water, let cloth soak all night, rinse and wring in the morning.

Regular household vinegar is another friend of mine. I descale the water kettle twice yearly of hard water buildup with a few vinegar treatments. Half a cup of vinegar inside the kettle, top off with water, bring to a boil, repeat.

Back in the day when my kids were in diapers I used to launder their diapers regularly with vinegar (once or twice monthly). Washed the diapers normally in hot water with detergent and bleach, then on the last fill cycle I'd add a cup of vinegar to the load. Not only did the vinegar help soften the diapers, but adding vinegar to the final wash cycle removed any detergent buildup in the diapers while at the same time helping balance the pH level in the fabric, which helped to reduce the occurrence of diaper rash and diaper irritation.

For stinky rubber pants nothing beat the old original Pine-Sol. I used to fill my laundry utility sink with a little warm water, a splash of Pine-Sol, let rubber pants soak for an hour or two, rinse (by-hand), pin on the clothesline to dry.

Shout stain remover, another favourite of mine. For stubborn stains, soak and rub the stain gently, let sit for an hour before laundering, overnight for serious stains.

I used to go through a bottle of Shout every 6-8 weeks when my kids were at the baby stage. Mealtime stains on t-shirts, sleepers, pyjamas... Shout, kept all looking clean and fresh and stain-free.

Speaking of cloth diapers, nothing got stains out better than hanging them on the clothesline on a sunny day. Amazing how bleaching the sun is when it comes to staining on whites, not to mention natural sunlight kills germs and bacteria.

Pine-Sol (the original formula) was my go-to household cleaner for decades, until they discounted making it with real pine nut oil.

My standard go-to household cleaner now is Lysol Power & Fresh (Orange). Love the scent.

Have always kept a bottle of ammonia handy for tough jobs such as stripping wax off floors, scrubbing grease off walls, whatever have you. For really tough jobs I'll sock a cloth in a little bit of straight ammonia and go to work on whatever it is that I was clean.

When it comes to true disinfecting I like household bleach (Javex or Clorox brand). I love treating my dishcloth to a bleach soaking the night before. A splash of bleach in one of the kitchen sink basins, a little water, let cloth soak all night, rinse and wring in the morning.

Regular household vinegar is another friend of mine. I descale the water kettle twice yearly of hard water buildup with a few vinegar treatments. Half a cup of vinegar inside the kettle, top off with water, bring to a boil, repeat.

Back in the day when my kids were in diapers I used to launder their diapers regularly with vinegar (once or twice monthly). Washed the diapers normally in hot water with detergent and bleach, then on the last fill cycle I'd add a cup of vinegar to the load. Not only did the vinegar help soften the diapers, but adding vinegar to the final wash cycle removed any detergent buildup in the diapers while at the same time helping balance the pH level in the fabric, which helped to reduce the occurrence of diaper rash and diaper irritation.

For stinky rubber pants nothing beat the old original Pine-Sol. I used to fill my laundry utility sink with a little warm water, a splash of Pine-Sol, let rubber pants soak for an hour or two, rinse (by-hand), pin on the clothesline to dry.

Shout stain remover, another favourite of mine. For stubborn stains, soak and rub the stain gently, let sit for an hour before laundering, overnight for serious stains.

I used to go through a bottle of Shout every 6-8 weeks when my kids were at the baby stage. Mealtime stains on t-shirts, sleepers, pyjamas... Shout, kept all looking clean and fresh and stain-free.

Speaking of cloth diapers, nothing got stains out better than hanging them on the clothesline on a sunny day. Amazing how bleaching the sun is when it comes to staining on whites, not to mention natural sunlight kills germs and bacteria.
Ammonia is something I could never handle. After moving into this house there was a spray bottle of ammonia that I used accidentally. That’s scary stuff.

Pine -sol is nice. It works well and leaves a wonder clean scent. Vinegar is a good staple cleaner.

Completely agree about the power of the sun for disinfecting. To clean algae off the amethyst rocks from our aquarium we left them out in the sun and it bleached the algae off.

Ammonia is something I could never handle. After moving into this house there was a spray bottle of ammonia that I used accidentally. That’s scary stuff.

Pine -sol is nice. It works well and leaves a wonder clean scent. Vinegar is a good staple cleaner.

Completely agree about the power of the sun for disinfecting. To clean algae off the amethyst rocks from our aquarium we left them out in the sun and it bleached the algae off.
Care definitely needs to be exercised when using ammonia, but it's sure been a godsend to me over the years. Eats grease, oil, and stubborn stains off painted walls with little effort.

I miss the old original formula Pine-Sol so much. I tried the new version and the scent turned me off. Haven't bought it since.

Wow, I would have never guessed the success you enjoyed with the aquarium rocks placed in the sun!

One trick I overlooked mentioning in my previous post, for darkened areas on bathroom tub/shower tile, mix a little bleach and baking soda together to form a sticky paste, then smear on the area in question liberally, let sit overnight if you can, rinse away in the morning. Amazing results!

White vinegar straight or mixed 50/50 with distilled water on everything but grease & oil (Fantastik for those two). For glass 1/3 white vinegar, isopropyl and distilled water.

White vinegar straight or mixed 50/50 with distilled water on everything but grease & oil (Fantastik for those two). For glass 1/3 white vinegar, isopropyl and distilled water.
Do they still make Fantastik? I've used that a lot way in the past and it works good on grime.
Formula 409 is good for tough gook too.

Care definitely needs to be exercised when using ammonia, but it's sure been a godsend to me over the years. Eats grease, oil, and stubborn stains off painted walls with little effort.

I miss the old original formula Pine-Sol so much. I tried the new version and the scent turned me off. Haven't bought it since.

Wow, I would have never guessed the success you enjoyed with the aquarium rocks placed in the sun!

One trick I overlooked mentioning in my previous post, for darkened areas on bathroom tub/shower tile, mix a little bleach and baking soda together to form a sticky paste, then smear on the area in question liberally, let sit overnight if you can, rinse away in the morning. Amazing results!
Good tip. I love the smell of that floor wax that was was needed on hardwood floors in the ‘60’s.
My tip is never, ever mix ammonia and bleach together. Deadly stuff.
Baking soda is another very versatile substance.

Last edited:
Good tip. I love the smell of that floor wax was was needed on hardwood floors in the ‘60’s.
My tip is never, ever mix ammonia and bleach together. Deadly stuff.
Baking soda is another very versatile substance.
When hubby and I first got married, I used to use Mop-n-Glo on the kitchen floor once a week. It was the highlight of homemaking for me, standing back and admiring the shine when I was done. :)

Yes, no mixing of household cleaners. Deadly is right.

Back