Closed Caption & Subtitles

Packerjohn

Packerjohn
Ok, I am hard of hearing. I love watching my old TV shows on DVD such as Gunsmoke, etc. as they have subtitles. However, many DVD packages show that they have closed caption (CC). How do I get this CC? Do I have to buy something special? I have a Blueray player that is good with subtitles, if they are available but I can never get CC. Some of the shows, like Quincy, seem to me just a bunch of mumbling without the CC. Please help & advise. Thanks a lot.

No you don't have to buy the closed captions.

To get the closed captions you have to go to the settings of your television set and select them.

Do you have your remote handy? Here's usually how it's done. Click on menu. Click on settings.

Click on closed captions. Select how you want your settings to appear.

That's on cable.

Now if you are on over the air you need the remote for the television you have.

Same thing or close to it. Click on menu, Click on settings, click on remote.

If this doesn't work for you, check back and let us know what your setup is for watching t.v., such as cable or over the air.

Thank you Camper6 for the tips. I have done a lot of research this morning & spent a lot of time with my entertainment unit. The research told me that HDMI cables do not transmit CC; they only transmit subtitles. Silly I know but true. So, I set it up but switched from my HDMI cable to the older RCA (orange, red & white). Glory be, the CC came on Quincy, it came on Have Gun Will Travel & it came on Walker Texas Ranger (Year 1). I have been trying to get CC for at least 3 or 4 years off & on & it has always frustrated me. All of this works on my Panasonic TV & Panasonic Blue-Ray player. I have taken the DVD player out of the cabinet & set it up near the TV so that I can switch cables for:
1. RCA cable for CC
2. HDMI cable when I want to watch subtitles.
Thanks again Camper6 & many happy trails.

By the way, I live in an apartment & its nice to know that with CC I wouldn't have to put the volume WAY up. Those with hearing challenged lives will know exactly what I'm talking about. The rest of you, well you are lucky.

Thank you Camper6 for the tips. I have done a lot of research this morning & spent a lot of time with my entertainment unit. The research told me that HDMI cables do not transmit CC; they only transmit subtitles. Silly I know but true. So, I set it up but switched from my HDMI cable to the older RCA (orange, red & white). Glory be, the CC came on Quincy, it came on Have Gun Will Travel & it came on Walker Texas Ranger (Year 1). I have been trying to get CC for at least 3 or 4 years off & on & it has always frustrated me. All of this works on my Panasonic TV & Panasonic Blue-Ray player. I have taken the DVD player out of the cabinet & set it up near the TV so that I can switch cables for:
1. RCA cable for CC
2. HDMI cable when I want to watch subtitles.
Thanks again Camper6 & many happy trails.

That deserves a champagne celebration. Congratulations with your research. Popcorn and Western movies. Always a treat.

Back