Coconut Bacon

Marie5656

So, do I have your attention? My husband was watching cooking videos on You Tube the other day and saw this. It is interesting. This is the recipe I used, but there are many if you Google coconut bacon. I let it sit for a bit before I sealed it in a container, and they did crisp up a bit more. The recipe gives you the option to adjust the smoke flavor to taste. So, they do not really taste like bacon, but if you want a nice smoky, crunchy replacement for bacon bits in a salad or in eggs or something these will do the trick. Picture below the recipe

How To Make Coconut Bacon (Gluten Free & Vegan)

Prep time
5 mins

Cook time
20 mins

Total time
25 mins

Author: Beard And Bonnet
Serves: 1½ cups

Ingredients

• ½-1 tablespoon liquid smoke, depending on taste
  • 1 tablespoon Tamari (or soy sauce)
  • 1 tablespoon maple syrup
  • ½ tablespoon water
  • 1½ cups unsweetened flaked coconut
  • ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
  • ½ teaspooon freshly ground black pepper

Instructions

1. Preheat the oven to 325°F with a rack in the center position.
  2. In a mixing bowl combine the liquid smoke, Tamari, maple syrup, and water; beat with a whisk to mix well. Toss in the coconut and stir until all of the liquid has been absorbed into the coconut. Sprinkle the paprika and black pepper over the coconut flakes and stir to combine.
  3. Spread the seasoned coconut flakes in an even layer onto the sheet pan and place into the preheated oven. Cook the coconut for 15-20minutes, stirring every 5 minutes until the coconut is dark in color, it will closely resemble bacon bits

482081_orig.jpg

Back