College Sports Are All But Dead

Yes, the question was rhetorical and my point was the irony of it all. Front line workers are worth far more than they are paid, while actors in movies don't contribute anything near the same level of value (in my opinion, though others may well disagree with that view). If that doesn't make sense, we each should consider that the next time we need to call a cop or call an ambulance for some immediate and crucial emergency.

What you have said holds equally for sports figures. They are just getting a fair slice of a rather huge pie. My whole point is simply about what our culture values, and I was hoping that would have been clear. Next time, I will write more and spell out my point very clearly instead of insinuating it and hopping people get it. My fault for not doing that this time.

Tony

Rhetoric ...humor as well... don't always come across well online! :) It would be great if those making money off the portrayal of front-line personnel would donate a portion of their earnings to support the real-life people out doing the jobs, but humans are greedy and a lot in that group are not fans of the LEO they portray though the majority of LEO aren't like the bad apples that get the news.

Rhetoric ...humor as well... don't always come across well online! :) It would be great if those making money off the portrayal of front-line personnel would donate a portion of their earnings to support the real-life people out doing the jobs, but humans are greedy and a lot in that group are not fans of the LEO they portray though the majority of LEO aren't like the bad apples that get the news.

Exactly right! I always seem to want to just have common conversation, but letters alone don't cut it. :)

I have been involved with the internet since the mid 80s when few outside engineering and research circles knew what it was. Since our conversations were not anything like what we had on BBS's and then later, online forums, there was never a reason to even attempt rhetoric or humor, so there were few, if any miscommunication issues.

That would be a great idea for those portraying front line personnel to help support those with the real life jobs. The news seems to need only the extreme ends of the spectrum to get attention - the bad apples, and the eye-catching heroics. But then, we are the consumers of the news and if the news media is to stay in business, they will need to provide what sells. Unfortunately, we who think like this conversation are only a minority too small to dictate what sells.

Tony

There are some other vocations most folks are too embarrassed to talk about that are likewise affected. This seems to be a gray (grey ?) area that somehow falls between the cracks.

Tony
My grandson and his fiancé couldn't have their wedding in August....They, hopefully, have their
wedding next August...

My grandson and his fiancé couldn't have their wedding in August....They, hopefully, have their
wedding next August...

This COVID-19 thing is really messing with people's lives.

I have to go in to the VA tomorrow morning to get tested for COVID-19 because my doctor said I have too many of the early symptoms. My wife called because I have been sick for several days, and that is what they want me to do, so off I go. I don't think I have it, but better safe than sorry I suppose. Fortunately, we have been staying at home with the exception of grocery shopping every two weeks or so.

Tony

Back